“Great Sushi in an adorable restaurant”

Sushi Tei Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 696 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Sushi Tei is a traditional Japanese restaurant located in Albany, NY. We feature fresh, healthy Japanese food (eat in or take-out). Wine, sake and various imported beers are also available for your refreshment. Sushi is a small piece of raw fish or shellfish on a bed of vinegared rice. This can be eaten as is, or is often dipped into soy sauce and then eaten. Sushi is based on the belief that nature cannot be improved, and is usually very simple. Therefore, great care is put into the creation, arrangement and the many methods of preparing the food. The finished appearance is also very important because the natural beauty and taste must not be lost, but enhanced!
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I were having a sushi craving and found Sushi Tei on TripAdvisor, so we stopped for a quick late lunch en route to the Albany airport and were really glad we did. Small restaurant with a sedate atmosphere and friendly staff in a good location. We ordered a variety of rolls and vegetable fried rice - rice was excellent and the rolls were even better. Loved the pirate roll, Louisiana roll and Hawaii roll. Everything was very fresh, excellent flavor combos and diverse menu.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was a first visit for my husband and myself, but we are sushi and sashimi lovers, and this little restaurant didn't disappoint. The sashimi was totally fresh, and the menu was varied and fun. Our son had been there many times, and they were totally amenable to his ordering items with modifications on the menu ingredients. The atmosphere was comfortable and homey. We arrived for dinner quite late, almost at their closing time, but they were cordial and pleasant, and we never felt rushed for a minute because of the time. The restaurant itself is small and tucked into a little strip mall area, but it is worth searching out. And, by the way, Sunday specials are a great deal!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Outstanding menu for sushi lovers and moderately priced. Super value and quality. We ate there for our daughters graduation. What a meal with amazing Japanese beer ( as per my future son in law). If you LOVE sushi you WILL be pleased. There are also meals for those in your party who may not want Sushi. So there is something for everyone!! You will love it! Its a busy place and that is because its SO GOOD! The noise level was high but each customer seating area was intimate and the service was attentive. Make reservations.Restaurant is on the side back of a strip mall. We found it at night so it is possible. Be careful you dont drive by! Its in the back of 1800 Western Avenue!!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I am total addicted to the James Bond Roll…it is simply amazing. When I’m being good, the Spicy Tuna wrapped in cucumber is also delightful! Slightly pricey - but so delish - well worth a splurge. Great service always too!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

It would take a real expert to differentiate food from the many Japanese restaurants in the capital District, particularly if one times on rolls rather than sushi or sashimi. Since the food in many of these restaurants tends to be basically the same, the real differentiator comes on service and atmosphere.

Sushi Tei does well on both of those factors. On a recent lunch
visit they had a special with miso soup and two rolls. The service was friendly and attentive but not oppressive. My request for a larger bowl of soup was met given my willingness to pay the up charge. The two rolls were fresh, and extra ginger was provided quickly.

Despite several prior visits to this restaurant I never really noticed the atmosphere. It was calm, the restaurant is
decorated in subtle Earth tones,
And in general is programmed to provide a relaxing experience very different from some other competitors in the area. For the non-novices in Japanese food, I should mention the menu is comprehensive.

The sushi restaurant lunch special has become one of my favorite options for that meal.

Sushi Tei is welcoming and relaxing and I will be back.

1  Thank Rhapsodyinblue

Been to Sushi Tei Restaurant? Share your experiences!