“your home away from home”
Review of Morgan State House

Morgan State House
Ranked #1 of 6 Albany B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“your home away from home”
Reviewed 8 March 2008

Everything about the Morgan State House's accommodations were wonderful and I definitely intend on staying there again on any return trips to Albany. My fellow traveler and I appreciated the "home-y" feel and the casual, friendly demeanor of the staff- They were exceedingly (genuinely!) hospitable and probably the friendliest (chattiest) I have ever encountered in my travels, ever. Upon your arrival they will provide you with a key to the establishment (along with your key to your room) and a phone number that you can call if you need anything after 5 when the staff goes home. FYI- the house key can be a little troublesome which can create problems when it's -2 degrees outside, snowing, and you're returning from a nice dinner but you can't get inside, let alone lock the door after you once you do get inside. When this happened to us we just called the number provided and a friendly member of the staff was there in 1 minute (literally) to assist us. Also (obviously) there isn't an elevator so I wouldn't suggest staying here if you have a problem with stairs.

The room was surprisingly spacious and the bed was extraordinarily comfortable (I believe the beds, plush mattresses, and their accompanying sheets are actually considered to be one of the main points for celebration in the establishment). For honesty's sake it is important to note that I think my companion and I were in the nicest "deluxe" room (the larger of the two rooms on the fourth floor with a HUGE bathtub and separate walk-in shower with a skylight) and from the brief glimpses I had of the other rooms they were considerably smaller than our accommodations were.

Breakfast in the morning leaves a little to be desired but was ideal for those that are more on-the-go. For the two days that we were there it consisted of coffee, orange juice, tea, fruit, boiled eggs, bagels, and English muffins. The kitchen has a refrigerator that is always full of these same items as well as few others that you can help yourself to throughout the day/night.

One last thing- the location is fantastic. Still, the cold weather meant that most of my sightseeing was done from the comfort of a taxi.

Personally, I prefer not to stay in huge hotels that lack originality or warmth and the Morgan State House reminds me of my own house- vintage, comfortable, and inviting.

• Liked — The establishment, our room, the friendly demeanor of the staff.
  • Disliked — The house key
1 Thank charlegirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New Windsor, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2008

During our most recent stay at the Morgan State House, i actually proposed to my girlfriend and she said "yes." Our room (4B in the guest house) was absolutely amazing in every way. The room definately had a romantic feel, which helped the proposal for sure. From the large soaking tub to the amazing skylights and fireplace and of course the huge, comfortable bed, everything was perfect!
We had stayed in room 501 (next door in the Washington Park State House) last year as a little getaway and fell in love with the Morgan State House. This time was no different, just a chance for the two of us to get away for a night. Little did my girlfriend know that it would be the night i proposed to her. Earlier in the day we had in-room massages, which were so relaxing and definately recommended!
Our two stays at the State House have been absolutely incredible. The staff is always so pleasant and helpful and gave us great restaurant advise.
Because of our great experiences with the State House, my fiancee and i plan to stay there anytime we are visiting the Albany area. I would stay there over a hotel anyday, hands down.
From my experiences, i would highly recommend anyone to stay at the Morgan State House when staying in the Capitol region.

Michael S.
Westchester County, NY

Stayed February 2008
Upstate NY
Reviewed 3 March 2008

I have stayed at the Morgan State House in Albany, New York (just off Washington Park) on several occassions and I simply love staying there.

This is not a "hotel"... but rather a B&B. The facilities and staff are all top-notch. On my most recent visit, the owner (Chuck) went out of his way to sort several "off-menu" requests and at times of the evening that I would not have expected someone to answer the call, much less respond.

Coffee and crullers in the morning... peaceful... centrally located (one block from Lark Street... the Albany art district that serves-up a gastronomical adventure), easy access...

One time, they even let me use their facility without charge so that I could change for a formal function (being a semi-regular probably helped here... but maybe not).

Simply outstanding...

• Liked — Having tried many other accommodations in Albany, this is simply the best.
  • Disliked — Being a
London
Reviewed 27 February 2008

Stayed at the Morgan State house in February 2008 for a few nights whilst I visited the city to take the bar exams.

Not only was the hotel one of the cheapest in the area considering the great demand for rooms at that time, it was absolutely exceptional.

The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help us throughout our stay.

The room was well decorated and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the kitchenette provided all the equipement we needed to cook our lunches and dinners. All in all we were very impressed.

The breakfast layout was slightly different, but fantastic nonetheless. Each morning the food is laid out in the main kitchen on the ground floor, and guests are encouraged to come down and help themselves to the array of food available. A large table is provided, and also a REAL log fire, which all made the experience that much more comfortable, cosy and enjoyable.

The only points I would suggest for improvement is the fact that our bathroom in the bedroom did not have a scrubber to clean the toilet ourselves, and also the fact that guests always have to lock the main door behind them when leaving the main exit, can be sligthly frustrating. (An automatic closing/locking door should be installed.)

Essentially the Morgan State House was all we could ask for and more. It exceeded our expectations, and we would definitely visit it again. The staff were amazing, and so was the hotel.

westchester, ny
Reviewed 20 February 2008

What a gem! A gorgous room, the most comfortable bed, relaxed but elegant. Beautiful view of the park through leaded windows. Walk to the best restaurants. A fantastic continental breakfast the next morning. A must if in the Albany area.

• Liked — beautiful room
  • Disliked — parking a bit tough
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 20 February 2008

I have stayed twice at the wonderful Morgan State House. It is comfortable and they are good with late arrivals, which is not always the case with B and Bs. There are some rooms with full kitchens. Great if you have business at the Capital or LOB - they are both a stone's throw away.

• Liked — proximity to capitol
  • Disliked — some parts of the neighborhood did not feel safe after dark
1 Thank tsooz
the berkshires
Reviewed 17 February 2008

A late weather-related need to stay overnight in Albany was the excuse for my second stay here, and it was just as terrific as the first time. The property is magnificent and just feels like you are at home in the lap of luxury being coddled. I view the Morgan Statehouse as the best inn in Albany.

Stayed February 2008