“A jewel in downtown Albany” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morgan State House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Morgan State House
Ranked #1 of 6 Albany B&B and Inns
Ithaca, NY
“A jewel in downtown Albany”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

Not only is the Morgan State House a jewel but so is this neighborhood! I loved being so close to a nice park (complete with summer-like weather when I was visiting) and near to so many good restaurants and shops. A nice place to take a stroll. Having a safe place to park my car was another nice feature but best of all is this lovely old home. The wooden stairs, complete with creaks, are gorgeous and my room was comfortable and spacious. I enjoyed my breakfast and was pleased to learn that I could visit the kitchen at any time during my stay, a bonus for me as I am diabetic and could need emergency food in the wee hours of the morning. The staff I met were delightful and helpful. The Morgan State House is my cup of tea (and the coffee was good too.)
Annie

• Liked — Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2008

This hotel is in a historic brownstone. When I walked in, I knew in an instant, that this would provide the needed relaxation after a busy day at the Capitol. The main rooms are decorated with a mixture of modern and antique furniture, flowers, and music was playing in the background.

The kitchen had tempting home made cookies available all day, as well as tea, coffee, yogurt and fruit. I was very happy to find a nibble and a cup of tea with milk as an afternoon pick-me-up. The breakfast that was offered the next day was exactly what I would have eaten, had I been home. I appreciate that I could eat what I wanted and not have a bunch of extra unwanted food.

The room was comfortable, pleasing to the eye, and functional for work. I had a great night's rest, and was off to the airport. Too bad, I was traveling alone. I would have enjoyed the fine May weather in the private backyard with a bottle of wine and the company of my husband.

• Liked — Ambience, comfort, and privacy
  • Disliked — Stairs
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2008

I travel a lot and decided that I could not take another night in a chain hotel. This place was very interesting. I love history and the feel of the room (not the main house) was very 1920(s) yet nice.

New bed, carpet-- modern and clean. Elegant yet not over the top -- chic yet not shabby. Very good experience.

Pay the 10 bucks for parking -- well worth it

• Liked — Style
  • Disliked — Parking
Alfred Station
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2008

The Morgan State house was a very nice place to stay. The ladies who operate the State House were very hospitable and my our stay very enjoyable. I was very new to the area and they explain, in detail, where I could find everything. The kitchen was a very nice addition and you would usually not find at a hotel. You were provided with drinks and goodies to enhoy during the day and a very nice breakfast. The location is very nice; across from a park and walking distance from everything.

The only reccomendation I have is to not stay near a elavator, they are kind of loud.

• Liked — The room was very nice, not like a plain hotel room.
  • Disliked — The elavtor next to our room.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

My husband and I just returned from our home away from home "The Morgan State House".

My husband had a business function to attend and convinced me to travel with him. Little did I know that he made plans to also celebrate my birthday a few days in advance at the beautiful Historic Morgan State House.

During our much too short stay (1 night); the staff went beyond the call of duty to provide a superior level of service. We were simply overwhelmed by the amazing wood artisanship that went into designing and restoring this 19th century townhouse mansion.

I am a stickler for details and comfort, especially as it relates to linen and bedding. This little jewel exceeded my expectations and passed my high standard of comfort with flying colors. I can best describe my slumber as "sleeping on a cloud". The pillows were plush with just the right amount of feather down and the feather mattress with its incredible high thread count (cotton) sheets /one ply provided a heavenly sleep. The beautiful wood custom headboard provided a nice touch.

The bathroom displayed beautiful tile work and the hunter douglas oversized blinds were a nice touch to the large bathroom window. We stayed in room 3B with the garden view.

My husband later informed me of how the staff assisted him in the coordination of having an organic birthday cake specially prepared for me (It was unsinnfully delicious). We also toasted to a great non-alcoholic wine recommended by owner of Morgan State House "Chuck".

Upon returning late to the Morgan House Saturday night, my husband and I were exhausted; however the aroma of breakfast quickly awakened us - Sunday morning. We arrived down-stairs closer towards the end of breakfast. By this time break-fast was all gone as it was catered via the bakery that prepared my awesome birthday cake. Please note that the caterer/bakery prepares everything from scratch. DILEMMA SOLVED - The owner "Chuck" himself asked my husband and I what we would like to have for breakfast and he prepared it fresh on the spot for us. We were in awe because he was committed to accommodate us and was so gracious. We were so impressed with his breakfast presentation that we asked Chuck if he was a chief as well! - He laughed!

The French omelets with cheddar cheese, half- &-half, water, chives, fresh peppers and tomatoes w wheat toast/toasted bagels/ strawberry preserves/O.J and wonderful coffee were outstanding. Breakfast was served on the patio during that beautiful day with just a slight spring breeze in the air. Chuck truly is a first class connoisseur of delivering unparallel service. Thank's Chuck for the recipe and extending the red carpet treatment towards us by personally preparing an awesome breakfast. Your French omelets rank high compared to (Momma's) notorious French omelets and were the best that I have eaten compared to many B&B's and luxury resorts that my husband and I have stayed at over the years.

This is truly a compliment coming from me as I am extremely finicky.

Petra "what a darling" she is a wonderful asset to the Morgan State House, and provided us with some amazing history
On the State House, not mentioned on the web site. Petra also provided a wealth of information about the whole area and made great dining suggestions. Although we did not meet Robin, we would like to thank Robin also for her behind the scenes involvement to ensure our wonderful stay

The only recommendation that we have would be to install individual climate controls to the rooms to adjust a/c-airflow. We were fortunate because the evening temperatures dropped to accommodate an ideal slumber environment as there was a wonderful breeze with the windows open.

During our stay, we really felt like being home away from home and although contradictory being transported back into a grand nostalgic time as well.

We would highly recommend this jewel B&B to anyone who savors quaint charm and details to personal service. Also, make it a point to take a stroll through the scenic Washington Park conveniently located across the street from the state mansion.

Thank you Morgan State House for a Memorable Time!

We will return again.

• Liked — I loved the high quality bed linen and featherbed.
  • Disliked — Not a show stopper, but the mansion could use individual climate controls in each room.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2008

I first came to stay at the Morgan State House when visiting family who live in the area. What a wonderful, hidden treasure this bed and breakfast is! Its location is convenient; the rooms are lovely; and, most important, the staff can always be counted on to provide excellent service. I love the details in the rooms, and I have stayed in many. The Morgan State House has lovingly maintained the look of the 19th century while integrating those “modern” features we have come to expect when we travel (i.e. internet access). Then there are the breakfasts and snacks one can always find throughout the day. What more could one ask? I highly suggest that the next time you are in Albany, NY, you stay at the Morgan State House!

Stayed March 2008
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

I was pleasantly surprised. This is a stately old building with a number of different rooms and then some rooms on the floor of another building, a condominium. The buildings are adjacent to a park and the living room and commons area are very evocative of olden times.

The condo I stayed in was a little lonely; there is no doorman, but the room and bed were spacious and instructions very clear.

I would recommend this highly.

Dr. Krueger