“Rougher Neighborhood than advertised”
Review of Morgan State House

Morgan State House
Ranked #1 of 6 Albany B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The State House is a retro hotel that is in a neighborhood that is experiencing an urban renewal. As I arrived I drove through a densley populated urban core to arrive at the hotel, the neighborhood was more run down than I had expected from reviews that I read on the Trip Advisor. I did not feel threatened while I was a guest walking the neighborhood, but the area is a little more run down than was advertised.

My second problem occurred when I arrived. I had booked a two room suite with a shared bathroom and parlor with a fireplace. When I arrived I was informed that this suite did not exist, eventhough I had an e-mail from the Morgan State House confirming my suite. Taken from my confirmation, "Your Confirmation Number is .

Room(s) confirmed: AP1
Two Bedroom Suite with 2 Queen Beds. Fireplace-Library-Living Room.

This 2 bedroom suite offers a queen bed with feather mattress, down comforter and down pillows in each bedroom, living room/library, fireplace, and full private bathroom.

Obviously they had rented this suite to some one else. Fortunately they made it right and placed us in the bridal suite and an adjoining room on the fourth floor. Nice rooms, but quite a climb if someone was not in good shape.

Still I enjoyed my stay after the difficulties were overcome. I think the best way to describe the Morgan State house is that it is an older Mansion that has been nicely divided into large and spacious rooms. The Hotel is in an area that is undergoing redevelopment, but is still in transition. The manager was very knowledgeable, but some of the off hours staff were not as well informed or empowered to make necessary decisions. The parking lot while directly behind the hotel is not directily accessible to the hotel without the assistance of staff who are not always on premise requiring a jaunt around the block to the front door.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 September 2010

I stayed in Albany to see my son at college this weekend. I wanted a different type of lodging and selected The Morgan State House after reviewing other traveler's reviews on this website.

The brownstone building is absolutely beautiful and well maintained. My room was lovely. I enjoyed the library area in my room. The bed was comfortable; however, it was too soft for me and I tossed and turned all night. The quality of the sheets, comforter and pillows were notable. I was pleased with my bathroom too. My only recommendation to the owner would be to provide a larger bath towel.

The continental breakfast exceeded my expectations. They offered juices, fruits, hardboiled eggs, breads, cereals, oatmeal, pastries and coffee or tea. The manager on duty as well as staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 6 September 2010

My husband and I decided to travel to Albany last minute and randomly ended up at this Inn. It was clean, comfortable, cozy and beautiful. Love the backyard and kitchen greeting was super original. Definitely will be going back there again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I was very impressed from the beginning with The State House. The parking was extremely tough to find when we got their, and since we were only staying one night, we didn't want to pay another $10 for a space in their lot. Would be nice if that was included in the price. However, the room was very nice and the layout of the place is great for those that want to do their own thing and not feel like they need to be sociable 24/7, such as with a standard B&B. I can't not say enough about the location - DYNAMITE. Right next to the beautiful park, right on State street, all you have to do is walk a few blocks and you are at restaurants and cafes, just a couple more and you are already at the heart of downtown at the Capitol building, the "Egg" and the sculpture garden. Even though we had a car, we never needed it. The only downside was the breakfast - hard to accept that your breakfast at a B&B consists of packaged bagels and cereal... might as well just say you aren't a B&B unless you kick the breakfast up a notch.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2010

When we Arrived Mark greeted us with professionalism and a smile. We stayed in 4B which was the best suite they offered . It came with a oversize king feather bed that felt like sleeping on a big billowy marshmallow. The over size 6 ft tub was so clean and relaxing.

The location was great as well we where in the heart of so many wonderful place to eat and parks. as well as a short cab to the palace theater where we went to see Adam Lambert perform that night . We also where present with dining vouchers for the local restaurants. We chose to eat at De Johns on Lark St it was a short walk and the food and service was great.
All and all it was a great experience and we would highly recommend it again

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2010

I'm so glad I chose to stay here the 2 weeks I was in Albany preparing and sitting for the NY bar exams.

My room was chock-full of five-star accommodation-type amenities including a hairdryer, bathrobe, coffee machine and even makeup remover wipes(!) The room also had a hugeee walk-in closet, a kitchenette (equipped with microwave oven, refrigerator, sink, full range of cutlery (even for guests), and can you believe it, a daily supply of microwavable popcorn).

Lastly, I thought that the standalone wooden writing desk and ample lighting were the perfect icing on the cake for this otherwise-hard-to-please exam candidate.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Friendly staff, impeccable and extremely helpful service. Strongly recommended for all travelers.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business