“Way Off the Beaten Path” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center

TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Riverview, Florida
“Way Off the Beaten Path”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights recently and got lost getting there and trying to get anyplace from there. There were no directions I could find that made any sense. This hotel is not near Rte. 87 or I-90 at all. No matter what the map says, this is far from anything except a McDonalds and Walgreens (which does sell beer).

I had a one bedroom suite and the bedroom was larger than the living room. Living room and small kitchenette were adequate. The refrigerator was full size, but freezer was small. There is a dishwasher, but no garbage disposal. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly. The free breakfast was okay, but not exceptional. The breakfast area is small.

I would not stay here again because of location, but if that is not an issue for you, I would recommend the place. Keep in mind that they do keep doors unlocked during the day up until 10 p.m. which I did not not like.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you Deborah for your feedback! As much as we wish our location was convenient for yourself, we are very appreciative of your willingness to recommend our hotel to those who it is convenient for. On behalf of the TownePlace Suites, we are glad your suite was clean and that the bed was comfortable! If you have any items that you would have liked to see in our breakfast area please do not hesitate to communicate that to us! We are always exploring options to provide better service and enhance our amenities for our guests. The most important piece I take from this review is your comment regarding how we do not lock our doors until 10pm. As a result of this, I am going to brainstorm ideas with our management and ownership team to determine a better time for the doors to be locked. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and most of all thank you for your honesty!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Hudson Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

In April (2014) my husband and I made somewhat last minute reservations for 2 nights at this hotel for the occasion of my brother's ordination as Bishop of Albany. Another hotel had been offered for reserving rooms, but others in my family had already booked here and we followed suit. We couldn't have been happier with the decision! From arrival to departure, the management and staff made us feel welcome and comfortable and were especially solicitous to my 94 year young parents who were also staying there. The one bedroom suite (king-sized bed)lacked for nothing; it was clean, spacious and well-equipped. My husband, who rarely sleeps well on hotel mattresses (had extensive spinal surgery), commented on the quality of sleep he enjoyed. Complimentary breakfast was more than adequate and the mini-cafe in the lobby was much appreciated. Some reviewers had comments/concerns about the neighborhood; we found it to be a non-issue, convenient to our destinations as well as less crowded than other areas. On our last day, after newspapers had run out, the manager went out of his way (literally) to get hold of several copies that had recorded the events, for us to take back as keepsakes. Rest assured we will be using this hotel again when we return to Albany and highly recommend others to do the same. My only regret is that I failed to get the names of the staff/manager who were so helpful during our stay.

Green Features: I read Marriott's environmental statement and appreciate the implementation of environmentally-sound practices. This hotel offered "green" alternatives and we utilized them.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank HudsonValleyMermaid
It was such a pleasure to accommodate you and your family when you were in Albany! Thank you very much for your words regarding your suite as well as the service provided by our staff. Our staff vividly remembers your family and we look forward to your next trip back to Albany! That's remarkable that our manager Tom had made your stay so pleasant and that he made sure you received extra newspapers for you to take home! On behalf of the TownePlace Suites, thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!:-)
Sagaponack, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel puzzles me. Locals tell me it's a nursing home conversion. Could be. The good news is that it feels relatively new and clean. The bad news is that it's in a marginal part of town, close to some pretty depressed areas, and truly in the middle of nowhere. There's a McDonald's and a Walgreens nearby. That's it. And there's no restaurant or room service at the hotel. Finally, housekeeping turned up to clean at 5PM yesterday and, as of 6PM tonight, no one has shown today. Not good. This is certainly not a hotel I'd use again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael C
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We appreciate your feedback! Yes the hotel was converted from a nursing home to the TownePlace Suites in 2008. That's great that it felt new and clean! Our staff takes great pride in keeping the building and suites clean and well maintained. I completely understand your frustrations with your suite not being serviced until 5pm & 6pm. That is unacceptable. I will personally address this with our staff and determine why this occurred. It is unfortunate that you say you would not use our hotel again! We are minutes away from downtown Albany as well as Lark Street where there is a great upbeat nightlife, delicious restaurants and historical venues! If you are ever in the Albany area again please contact me directly so that I can assure you experience the level of service that our staff is capable of providing. We would also be more than willing to put together an informational packet and a map to show you the establishments that are within walking distance and minutes away other than the sights that you mention in your review. Thank you again for your feedback! I hope to hear from you in the future to set up a future reservation!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel was very clean. The staff was very nice. Price was great. There are lots of restaurants around. The only drawback is the location is mixed among nice parts of town and seedy parts of town. Not to mention the traffic in downtown Albany is horrible. For me the Springhill usually works out better for location but this hotel was very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for your review. We certainly appreciate your honesty and mentions of our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel. We are fortunate to have the hotel be next to Albany College of Pharmacy and Albany Law School and just blocks away from Albany Medical Center. However as you stated just like other cities, there are sections that are not as attractive as these. I know you generally stay at the Springhill Suites, but we would love to accommodate your future stays in Albany and hope that you will be back!
Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at the TownePlace Suites for 3 nights in April 2014. We were in town for the installation of my brother as Bishop of the Diocese of Albany and several members of my family reserved rooms for the event. The location of the property was very convenient and was only a short distance from the cathedral and The Egg convention center downtown. The staff was very friendly, courteous and most helpful and the rooms were perfect for our needs. Each suite had a separate bedroom apart from the living and kitchen area and the 2 bedroom suite had 2 separate bedrooms and bathrooms. The beds, including the pillows, were very comfortable and the temperature in each room was individually controlled, adding to a good night’s sleep. The kitchen area was stocked with dishes, utensils, a fridge, and microwave. There was a complimentary breakfast in the morning and a coffee bar in the lobby as a nice addition. Everything was well maintained and clean. No complaints regarding the immediate neighborhood. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Albany. Kudos to the staff and management.

Room Tip: I always request a higher floor rather than being on ground level for an added sense of security.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your recommendations! On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown, thank you for choosing our hotel! We look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany!
Clifton Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Had an excellent stay at Marriot Downtown Albany, I usually don't write reviews but thought the service and hospitality here was exceptional.

The rooms were clean. The distance to the hospital was close enough.

Jondelle at reception was great, she had a big smile and made me feel welcome after I got to Albany from an exhausting trip. I felt like being treated like a VIP!

TV selection and breakfast were good. The place has a nice bar too. Will revisit next time I'm in Albany.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
The TownePlace Suites is honored that you took the time to provide us with your feedback! Our staff strives for exceptional service and works very hard to make sure we create a great guest experience. Thank you for your acknowledgement! We hope you choose to stay with us in the future!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this location for one night. The rooms were pretty clean, the furniture was a bit worn down. We stopped here for ease of travel and it's convenient locations .

The staff, however, is the nicest staff I've ever come into contact with. It's safe to say I've spent several hundreds of days in a hotel and this by far is the best staff I've experienced. They went over and above friendly. I went to the front desk and asked for a certain drink they didn't have in stock and one of the employees ran to the store to get one for me! There wasn't one employee who didn't ask if I needed assistance of any kind. This staff....the entire staff needs a raise.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Adalis, it was our pleasure running to the store to get you a red bull! We will make sure next time we are stocked for you in our market! I know you were traveling through Albany, however we hope that if you are in the area in the future that we will be able to accommodate your stay! Hope you had a nice easy trip back to PA! Thank you very much for posting a review!