“Poor customer service”

Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Hamden, Connecticut
“Poor customer service”
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My husband and I are retired, and now traveling with our Grandson often, and also visiting our NY daughter and family often, so I decided to sign up for a Marriott reward card. Our daughter was in the hospital for an emergency C section and we wanted to be near Albany Med and stayed here. When I needed another night, to keep our toddler Grandson with us, I inquired at the desk. Was told that the only room avail was a 2 bedroom suite for 69.00 more than we had paid for our stay. Didn't need a 2 bedroom suite so went to this site to see what might be available in the vacinity. Guess what, there was a queen bed room available (and for far less than he offered me) through Expedia. We decided to move to another hotel, for principle. The front desk could have accomodated our request, just for good service (especially since we stayed at another Marriott property last week-end). Might be using another chain from now on. The breakfast, though included, was in a very small area with not much selection. Fairfield Inn in Saratoga was much better. Husband ate at the diner up the street.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I stayed here several weekends and must say, I just kept coming back!
The suites are wonderful, very new, clean and spacious. If ever in Albany again, I will absolutely stay here.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Filmcraft
AGMTPS, Assistant General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
Thank you for your positive response about the TownePlace Suites. We are happy to have you as a returning guest and appreciate your business during your travels.
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2010

the largest most beautiful modern rooms I have ever had at Marriott seemed like a Hyatt Place property. The rooms were very comfortable and very modern in furnishings. This must be the new look for Towne Place and it will bring me back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Check in was smooth and my room was ready as reserved. It was larger than I expected, and very clean. There were a couple of minor wear/tear items--a nick in one nightstand, a small stain on the bathroom wall (looked like hair dye?), and some minor paint scrapes near the door. The sofa had a couple of small stains and was a bit shopworn. Also there was a bit of mildew in the shower--a spray of bleach would resolve it in minutes. Nothing major though, and nothing that would make me squeamish about staying there.

The pillow top mattress bed was very comfortable, I slept like a rock. Due to being on the top floor I was comfortable leaving my window cracked for fresh air while I slept. I am not bothered by "City Sounds" although those who are might find it too noisy with the window open. With the window closed it was very, very quiet in the room. The kitchen area was clean and in good repair. I didn't "cook" anything although I did heat up water in the microwave to make a cup of tea. The workstation is a huge plus for those of us who travel on business--it's well lit, spacious, and has plenty of easily accessible power outlets. I had no problem connecting to--and staying connected to--the hotels wireless Internet. The desk chair was comfortable. The flat screen TV swiveled and was viewable from the bed or the sofa.

Overall the room was very spacious, the type of place where you need to do a double "idiot check" because you get "spread out" a little too much. I think my only criticism was that they could have made the luggage/dressing area outside the bathroom a bit smaller, and added more vanity space in the bathroom. I'd also like to have had a luggage rack for my suitcase.

The neighborhood isn't the greatest, although it's gotten better over the past 20 years and isn't inherently dangerous as long as you use a little common sense. Had I not been running late I would have walked to meet a friend for dinner on Lark Street--although I would not have walked back in the dark when we finished at 11:00pm. A cab to Lark and Spring was $5. I was not at all nervous leaving the car in the lot, although I made sure not to leave anything valuable laying around in it, and locked the doors. (Again, just common sense.)

Breakfast was as expected for what was described as "Continental." There were a variety of pastries and muffins, breads and bagels, cereals, a waffle iron, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, several choices of juice, milk, coffee, tea, and cocoa. The attendant was pleasant and asked if there was anything he could help me with. The dining area was small but unoccupied when I ate around 8:00 am on a weekday.

There is a Walgreen's and 24 hour McDonald's directly adjacent to the hotel for any forgotten items or a fast food fix. I will be in Albany on business every month for the foreseeable future, and this will definitely be a hotel of choice for me on my trips.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank lovescabs
Bronx,NY
Reviewed 14 March 2010

After reading other reviews, I thought I'd give this place a try. I expected to find reasonably helpful, pleasant staff and comfortable, clean rooms. The staff were pleasant and I had no objection to the decor of the rooms. The tremendous downfall to me pertains to cleanliness (or lack thereof) of the hotel. There was a mouse in my hotel room. I asked to be moved to another room. I was moved to a different floor. In this second hotel room, there was a small, chunky rock with jagged edges that my baby found on the floor. He grabbed it and could easily have swallowed it. This was turned over to the houskeeping supervisor. Although the supervisor apologized, in my mind, the damage was already done. It was bad enough for there to have been a live mouse running around the first room. I realize that perhaps I happened to come the day before the exterminator was due to be there. But I can't find a way to cut them slack regarding the small,chunky rock that the baby found on the floor in the second room. Couldn't someone have vaccumed the floor of the room before the front desk gave us the keys?

After speaking with the supervisor and the person at the front desk about the rock on the floor, I returned upstairs to the room to heat up something in the microwave for dinner, only to find that there was some kind of dried fluid all over the floor of the microwave. It made me lose my appetite. I have stayed with the Marriott chain in other cities and have never had this kind of experience with Marriott before; I usually have good experiences with Marriott. While I'll certainly stay with the Marriott chain again, I will find a different place to stay the next time I return to Albany.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Rockford, IL
Reviewed 13 March 2010

From check-in to check-out, this hotel provided outstanding service. I do a lot of traveling for both business and pleasure, and stay in a lot of places but I must say that this Townplace is among my favorite stays. Staff at check-in was friendly, talkative, and attentive to my needs in a room. One of the elevators was under repair the first day I was there, and the front desk attendant apologized that I had to wait for a few minutes to get the other elevator.

My room was amazing. The work station was great, the room was clean. I absolutely love the decor in the rooms. The bedding was comfortable and soft, and my bathroom was immaculate. The kitchen and all of it's extra amenities made my stay very enjoyable.

The pool and whirlpool, which I made great use of during my stay, were great to have. My friends and I enjoyed our time in the hot tub, and I enjoyed some morning swims in the pool. The areas were always clean, with towels freshly stocked.

Breakfast was great, and the breakfast attendant was personable. My only thought is that perhaps the orange juice had a tad too much of s syrup taste to it.

The location is the only down side to this hotel. I'm very familiar with Albany, and just a few blocks from the hotel the neighborhood gets a little rough, but if you're heading downtown or over to Wolf road, it's nice. I wouldn't say the area is unsafe, just not attractive, which makes this hotel a gem in the area.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank OpenRoadHome
Beverly, MA
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Location was very easy to find. Walgreens and McDonalds just down the street. Major food/chain very close by. Short drive to many restaurants down Delaware/Stark and Central Ave. Read previous comment about being nervous parking at hotel...parkinglot is very nice, clean and ample lighting at night, we even felt comfortable parking in the lower side parking lot.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple