“Great first time visit”

The Standard Restaurant & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
The Standard Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 697 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$30 - US$35
Cuisines: American, African, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Walking Distance from the CDTA Crossgates Mall stop.
Description: The Standard is known for its straightforward, classic American cuisine, prepared using home-cooking techniques with fresh, local ingredients purchased daily. The Standard’s menu features over 100 items that will be sure to have something for everyone. “Our menu revolves around ‘classics’ or ‘standards’ restaurant goers have come to know and love, yet with our own unique twist; upscale comfort food. We have popular & unique appetizers ranging from Macaroni & Cheese to our signature entrees such as Horseradish Crusted Filet Mignon and “Forever” Braised Short Ribs. In addition, we offer a variety of fresh chopped salads and gourmet sandwiches.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed this first trip to The Standard. The decor makes you feel like you walked in to an episode of Mad Men. There is something for everyone on the menu.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This up-scale, elegant restaurant in Crossgates Mall is almost always very good, but the night we were there they were breaking in a new grill chef and he needed a lot more training! My first steak came out almost raw; the second done was done right but almost tasteless. Everyone else (we were five) enjoyed their meal, and the service was good to very good, except that I couldn't find our waitress for several very looong minutes when I first discovered my 1st steak to be near-raw. To their credit, they didn't try and re-grill that steak, but that's all they did right; no management apology, just the poor waitress trying to explain why there was no one in the place who knew how to grill a steak! Well, except for four of the five people at our table, but we didn't offer to re-do the second mess. These kind of things happen, and we'll likely try the Standard again, but with care, and I'll ask before I order anything as challenging as a NY strip steak cooked medium (hot pink center).

1  Thank countFlorida
Reviewed 21 July 2014

First and foremost, every staff member we came across was so nice! That does not happen! We sat at the bar and Alyssa the bartender was great. The Moscato was delish. We had the vegetables and brie which came with toasted bread. This was such a good appetizer. The veggies were eggplant, garlic, zucchini, and roaster red peppers. We also got the iceberg wedge, and the NY strip steak. Both were very good. The only surprise was that the steak comes with one side instead of two (maybe a starch and a veggie). Overall a great restaurant with a dark lounge feel to it. We will be returning for sure.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

There was no wait time. Staff was very friendly and food quality good. They did not have hot wings on the menu which i thought was strange. The food quality was just ok but the ambience was good..

Reviewed 7 July 2014

After reading all of the great reviews, we were anxious to have dinner at the Standard. We booked our reservation on Open Table, which was hardly necessary, for a Saturday night, the place was empty. Our server Kat was great and so was my martini, from there it was downhill. I ordered a rib-eye steak and lobster tail, Dave ordered a strip - We both asked for Medium Rare. My steak was cooked to medium and was tough and tasteless (dry aged, I doubt that), there was almost no flavor and my lobster tail was only half cooked. Dave's steak was a bit closer to medium rare, so he switched with me, I only ate the center of the steak, which wasn't much. Kat sent the manager over and he told us he would take something off the bill - well he took 20% off the bill, I expected he would credit one of the steaks - since there was more than one steak left on the plate. The prices are reasonable, but I would rather spend twice as much and have a quality meal.

Been to The Standard Restaurant & Lounge? Share your experiences!