“Gorgeous vaulted ceilings ... what a find!”

CrestHill Suites Albany
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Albany, New York
“Gorgeous vaulted ceilings ... what a find!”
Reviewed 8 August 2008

My husband and I stayed there during a visit to his parent's home. It was hot and they didn't have AC, so after one night with them, we began a search for a nice local hotel. Everything was booked up solid because of the Saratoga race season, but then we found this place. What a gem it turned out to be!

The lobby was nice but basic and the staff warm and quick to check us in. I think there may have been warm cookies at the desk when we checked in.

Our room was a king suite with vaulted ceilings. It made the large room seem huge. There was a kitchenette with full sized appliances and a basket of snacks on the breakfast bar (Pepperidge Farm cookies, granola bar, chocolates microwave popcorn and a pack of lifesavers candy) included with the room. There were two bottles of chilled water in the fridge also included. The livingroom area was about 12' x 17' and had a 3-seater couch, comfy arm chair with a reading light next to it, a coffee table and lamp table next to the couch, bunch of great lighting and large screen TV with all the basic hotel cable. The windows were large, beatuiful and they actually opened! The central air was quiet and worked great. The sleeping area was about 10' x 10' and had a great king size bed with tons of pillows and luxurious bedding. There was a dresser and two night stands plus a full closet with mirrored doors. There was an alcove wash area to the side of the sleeping area, and within that there was a door to the toilet and bathtub/shower combination. The shower head was pretty big and gave great water pressure.

When we got back that evening from dinner, we found the turn down service has closed the drapes, turned down the bed and left chocolate mints on our pillows. Around 9:00 PM I discovered that the lobby had an abundance of hot beverages (coffee, tea, hot chocolate), fresh apples and microwave popcorn, as well as a large wide screen TV and bunches of comfy couches and armchairs to enjoy. I'm an avid herbal tea drinker, so I was thrilled with the selection, and the hot water was plentiful and somehow always pipping hot (which you don't find at most hotels). There was a mini-microwave there as well for the popcorn, and I peeked inside to see how clean it was and have to say it was very clean (big surprise). The half-and-half and sweetners and beverage condiments were always full and very neat. Even though the hotel was booked solid (we got their last room after a cancellation), the common areas always looked as if they were just touched up.

We didn't try the fitness room and I only had cereal for breakfast , but everything else was excellent.

Overall the room was crips, modern and very comfotable.

I highly recommend staying here and requesting a king suite withvaulted ceilings on the top floor !

This past July, my mother-in-law hosted a tea in one of the regular size suites on the 2nd floor and found it to be a nice size for a couple, or maybe even a couple with one child, but the room was not as large as our suite, and didn't offer as much in terms of lighting, space and decor, but had all the essentials, such as bed, bathroom, work desk, couch, arm chair etc. And her kids loved the pool area, which was large with lots of chairs, tables and towels. So I would suggest the top floor for a more "wow" experience and check out the pool if the wealther is warm enough.

• Liked — The gorgeous room
  • Disliked — I loved it all.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GirlGenX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
NewYork, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2008

While going away to Freshman Orientation at UAlbany, my family and I had booked a two bedroom suite at this hotel. Trusting it would be a good hotel because of the mostly good ratings it had recieved, however, from the moment we walked through the door it was awful. The air conditioning was not working and it was 90 degrees out. after getting the room key we realized that we didn't need one because the door was broken and all we needed to do was push it open. inside this room was not a two bedroom suite, but a single bedroom suite with broken air conditioning. after going to the front desk asking for another room they said that there was an error with the booking, althought we talked to them at the front desk almost two months ago. The only thing that i could say was good about this hotel was the fact that we were refunded and went t a different (and much better) hotel.

• Liked — Leaving ASAP
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank obenschnitzel
florida
Reviewed 12 July 2008

My family and I have stayed here several times in the past few years to visit my in-laws. Until this past 4-day stay, I would have given it a higher rating. However, something terrible must have happened in the past 1 year since we were last here. Check-in was a nightmare because our 2-bedroom confirmation showed up as a single room. They said something about computer switching to explain the error. I was lucky I had a print-out of my reservation. Then, when they found a 2-bedroom and we went to it, there was a big water leak right over one of the beds, and it was just SOAKED; there were ants all over both bedrooms and the living area; and the phones were completely out. Kind of an unbelievable combination. So, they gave us 2 studios right next to each other--they were fine, but on our third day, despite the fact that I hung out the "please make up room" sign from 9 am to when we got back that night at 930 pm, the housekeepers had never even made it up! We were tired, so I didn't even bother to call--we just showered and went to bed. Overall, extreme disappointment.

• Liked — availability of suites
  • Disliked — upkeep and service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank floridatraveldad
Vestal, NY
Reviewed 9 May 2008

I originally found this hotel by accident, just looking for a place to stay at the last minute. Well...I love this place and have returned at least ten more times. If you are a repeat customer they will give you a great rate.
The King suite is spacious and comfortable. The bedroom is separate from the livingroom and kitchen area making it easier to put the little ones to bed in a quiet space. The rooms have always been clean and fresh, and the welcome basket of goodies is a pleasant surprise. Decent sized kitchen in the King suite.
I will continue to stay in the future.

• Liked — space, kitchen, relaxing
  • Disliked — no restaurant, no roomservice
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Serephina
Central NY
Reviewed 22 March 2008

I travel to Albany regularly on business and to visit family. I have stayed at Cresthill at least a dozen times and recommend it to my friends and colleagues. It is clean and well maintained. Staff are courteous and helpful. The kitchen saves plenty of time and money. The light evening meal and social hour is quick, easy, relaxing and a great feature. The breakfast buffet starts the day off on the right foot. A great place! This hotel should expand to NYC area because I travel there regularly as well.

• Liked — accommodations in the suite
  • Disliked — fitness center - more cardio would be nice
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
new jersey
Reviewed 19 September 2007

Why bother reserving room when it appears they frequently overbook with arrangements for overflow at other lower-rated hotels in area. Credit card confirmed 4-adult suite reservation with arrival after 6:00 was not available, even though we arrived at 6:45. Makes email we received from them 5 days prior saying they were looking forward to welcoming us a joke. Apparently four other rooms were moved to the same hotel as we were according to overflow hotel, because "Cresthill overbooks." Cresthill's excuse was "there was a terrible storm and the rooms were a mess." With friends in the area, we confirmed that there was no "terrible storm" the night before, and certainly no message was left on our home phone advising us of this inavailablity...something you might expect from a hotel supposedly as highly rated as this. Arrangements made at other hotel were for one room, where they would bring in a fold-up bed! We had four adults and had to fight for another room, and Cresthill agreed to pay for it, but when we got our bill in the morning, we were still charged...DON'T RESERVE HERE IF THERE IS ANY EVENT AT SUNY ALBANY, DURING FALL COLORS, OR SARATOGA RACES...there were a lot of things going on that weekend, including football game. Both hotels treated this overbooking problem non-chalently, as if we should be lucky to have any room at all, and this was common practice...I see now from other reviews that this is probably the case.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — there was no accommodation
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank honestlyNewJersey
Toronto, ON, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2007

We arrived after 9 pm and had no problems with our reservation. There was a lovely basket of goodies waiting for us, which was great, because we were starving (including microwave popcorn). There is a small kitchen that is well-equipped with microwave, good size fridge, dishwasher, and dishes. The room also had two beds. I can't remember if the sofa was a pull-out. There are BBQs in the pool area. The staff was nice and helpful. Apparently we were being loud (two kids under 4 trapped in the car for 6+ hours were letting off some steam) and were asked to keep it down. The beds were comfortable (although we were exhausted.) The breakfast was adequate - a continental breakfast with bagels, cereals, yogurt, fruit, and of course coffee. We have stayed here before and would stay again.

• Liked — the kitchenette
  • Disliked — being asked to keep it down - perhaps the walls are thin?
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family