“Disgusting Area, Disgusting Room, Disgusting Customer Service”
Review of Motel 6 Albany

Motel 6 Albany
Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I stayed for one night in May 2010 with my wife to visit with friends who live in the Albany area, The area is very shady, do not leave any valuables in your car. We requested a non smoking room, but the room smelled like plenty of smoking had taken place there. There were no windows and the only way to air out the stink was to open a glass sliding door which led to the parking lot. That didn't last long since that meant our room was open for everyone outside the hotel and within the parking lot to get a good look at what was inside. There were no amenities, but we didn't mind as we usually don't use the one's provided by hotels.
We had a dinner to get ready for, so after showering we got ready and left. When we returned after mid night, we showered again and before going to bed packed our belongings, determined to get another hotel the next morning. By the time we finally decided to sleep, when we pulled the covers off the bed it was sickening. Both of the double beds had hair, dirt, dead bugs, and stains on the sheets. Literally there was grim and you could feel the dirt. My wife insisted we make the best of it, being so tired from our long drive and night out. It was a very cool night and we slept huddled on top of the covers using only a light jacket my wife had as a "blanket". We got no sleep at all, tossed and turned all night from the cold, and the itchiness, probably from the bed bugs.
In the morning we asked to speak with the manager, we explained our situation and she just shrugged it off as the maids fault. She refused to take responsibility. We didn't expect much of anything from a Motel 6, but what we did expect was a comfortable, clean bed...needless to say our needs were not met. Not worthy of even a rating.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 July 2009

We appreciated this hotel, nothing fancy but nice size rooms and clean. Although it was a non-smoking room, there were cigarette burns on the sink and burn spots on the bed spread and there was a certain smell to the room which disappeared once the air conditioning was up and running.

We'd still go, good price online and nice location.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank funnurse
Reviewed 25 March 2008

I stayed at this motel alone one night in a first floor room that also opened to the parking lot via a sliding glass door. I never used that door and I assumed that it was locked - but during the night someone entered my room from the parking lot through the sliding door. They stole my gps which was charging next to my bed; and they stole my wallet from my purse. I saw them entering a second time and yelled out. Either the room was unlocked when I took possession, or someone connected with the front desk staff went into my room during a time that I left to go grab some dinner and opened it for later. Regardless, I assume that when one enters a hotel room the doors are all locked. Otherwise, why do they give you a key? Motel 6 has done nothing but ignore my requests that I be reimbursed for my missing items. They have stated time and again that they are reviewing it and that they will get back to me and they never have. Oops - forgot - they sent me a coupon for a free night at a Motel 6. But that doesn't come close to the close to $400 I am missing in money, gps and wallet (including credit cards). Don't go there; it's dangerous.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank campngirl
Reviewed 27 October 2007

Forced to stay here because my preferred Albany hotels were sold out, this place is an absolute dump. Normally I'd say you get what you pay for, but this place isn't even worth spending a dollar on.

It started at check-in where the front desk clerk was unable to even make eye contact with me while I was checking in, and when there was a problem; I had her supervisor yelling at me from a seated position in her office to the side how that problem was being resolved. I understand that problems can exist; but this person, a supervisor, could not muster up the energy to stand up, come to the desk, and talk to me like an adult? Between her and the desk clerk, this may have been the worst front desk experience I have ever had in terms of simple courtesy, and I spend a lot of time in hotels.

So I get to my room, unpack, then go my car. The door to my room fails to lock properly when shut. This was resolved relatively quickly by their maintenance staff but I'm certainly glad I checked to make sure the door was fully shut first! Not to mention this hotel is on the borderline of Albany's ghetto.

Anyway, I return to my room; and prepare to go to sleep. The sheets were not cleaned and were downright filthy. It then took over an hour between my calling the front desk for clean sheets and the time that they were actually delivered. (I had to call to "remind" the person).

In the morning, I complained to the front desk. No manager (supposedly) was on duty for me to tell about all my problems and just got a head nod for a response. Not even an "We're sorry!"

The staff does not care one bit about guest service; they just want to take your money and run. Not to mention it is a very run down hotel. It could have potential if they had a staff who cared about its appearance as well as guest service.

Pathetic. You're better off sleeping in your car.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank kristen2514
Reviewed 14 September 2007

We spent one night and were pleased as the day begun, so we could leave this place.
Be prepared, to discover lots of new smells ;-)
It was $75 per night including tax.

My advisement:
Spent 30 Bucks more and go to a BestWestern or HolidayINN

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank ocker3000
Reviewed 2 September 2007

Previous reviews for this motel are "bad". However, this location has been remodeled and we found it very comfortable. The room was large, and it had lots of accessible outlets.
We were in a no smoking section and there was no stale, smoky odor anywhere in the room or hallway.
This is a Motel 6--basic, no frills, no breakfast (coffee in the lobby), no pool. We were there for a medical procedure at St. Peter's (an easy 2 1/2 mile drive), so we weren't concerned with frills--a good, clean room, comfortable bed, shower. This location met our needs and was a pleasant experience.
The staff was wonderful. Front desk was very helpful. We had a minor problem with housekeeping which was quickly handled.

Reviewed 29 January 2007

I just returned from staying at Motel 6 in Albany (100 Watervliet Avenue, Albany, NY 12206). My experience there was nothing short of terrible.
I was placed in a smoking room when I am allergic to cigarette smoke. There were no ammenities in the room, ie Shampoo, and the only soap that was there to use was the one small bar left in the shower by the previous guest. The bath mat and towel had pubic hair on them. I requested new items and was told by the desk clerk "I don't know where to get them."
The staff was not customer service oriented at all. When I asked for directions to a specific area one of the desk clerks advised me that "She does not drive as she does not make enough money to have a car, so she can't help me."
This property showed very poor service to this customer.

• Stayed: January 2007