“Quality Quality Quality”

Albany, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quality Quality Quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

All I have to say is you can not find a bad meal at this place. The food is fantastic. YOU NEED TO GET THE LOBSTER MAC AND CHEESE!! Don't waste your time with the half portion, Cause your gonna regret you didn't getting the full portion and hating your self for eating it all! I sampled pretty much all of the fantastic apps and sadly i ordered the the paella (4 star I have been to Spain many times) Luckily I was able to steal some ones lobster mac! My friends told me this is there favorite restaurant, I can't say I don't know of any place local that is superior, only different.

Visited May 2014

Providence, Rhode Island
“something for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

First, kudos to the chefs (and/or owners) for mixing Korean food with the restaurant staples of salmon, and chicken, and meatloaf. And a second round of applause for having a varied vegan and gluten free menu. There is definitely something for everyone on this menu. If you are like me and like Korean (and spicy) food, then make sure you have something with the kimchi. I had a "meat lovers kimchi stir fry." The portion was huge, and it had just enough heat to make me aware that it was spicy, but not so much heat that I was gasping for air. If you are not a fan of spicy food, there are plenty of options. One member of our group had the salmon with Cherry-Riesling reduction, and she was very pleased. Several other people had the ahi tuna, which looked to be cooked to perfection, and again, it was a huge serving. We split some desserts - a flourless chocolate cake and an apple-cinnamon bread pudding, and both were excellent. It's a nice wine list, and the by the glass prices are very reasonable. Service was excellent.

• Visited April 2014
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The food here was good and I am glad that we tried it but I don't think I would ever go back. That says a lot about a place. The prices were a bit high for what we were getting which is fine, but I felt that the dishes were missing something and a little bland actually. My husband got the paella and I thought that was not good at all. My cacciatore was different but tasty. The wings we had as an appetizer were very meaty and fall off the bone but the spice was too much to handle for my husband after a few wings. Overall, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone as I don't believe it is palatable to all tastes.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Von1287
Plattsburgh, New York
“Hidden Treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

One of the best lunches I have ever had! Great menu, delicious soups and if you have a gluten allergy...no problem! GREAT place to have a lunch meeting!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank NY2VA2NM2VT2NY
NY
“Mingle will make your taste buds tingle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Thanks to bookends Mingle and New World Bistro, Delaware Avenue now offers the hottest food (literally) in town. The spice index at Mingle may rival the renowned heat down the street at New World Bistro, thanks in large part to its authentic Korean influence, where hearty accents of kimchi accompany a number of dishes (on the evening I dined one of the specials was a side dish of kimchi fries.) Don’t be scared away by that, though, as there are more mellow offerings that are just as stimulating. A Five-Cheese Mac and Cheese (available with the five cheeses, or in versions featuring lobster, or chicken and spinach and marinara, or kimchi and pork belly) is one of those decadent alternatives, as is a Broiled Salmon with Cherry-Riesling reduction. A Chicken and Shrimp Cacciatore sounds like it lies on that mild but still flavorful side, while some spicy in-between options are the Chicken and Chorizo Creole, and the Mediterranean Paella – both of which utilize smoked chorizo sausage for their heat.
It’s the Korean influence that makes this restaurant a unique, stand-out spot, thanks to the magic of Chef Un-Hui Filomeno, who’s been imparting this sort of culinary magic to the Capital District for two decades. The Korean Tacos here – part of the lighter fare or appetizer portion of the menu – are a ravishing way to begin. A soft but sturdy corn tortilla is filled with your choice of beef or chicken that has been marinated and cooked in sesame oil and soy, tossed in gochujang and stuffed with apple-radish kimchi, Napa cabbage, scallions and a spicy yogurt sauce. The end result has a bite tempered with the perfect amount of tang to leave the tongue tingling and wanting for more.
Continuing my heat-seeking trajectory, I ordered the Korean Style Bulgokee (beef marinated in sesame oil and soy then broiled, served with sticky rice, house-made kimchi, gochujang and red leaf lettuce for wrapping.) The beef was perfectly cooked – tender and substantial of texture, rich and redolent of flavor and aroma – and proportioned amply enough to provide meat for every ruffled lettuce leaf (and even a bit more.) Additional home-style Korean fare includes Bibimbap, Chap Chae, Kimchi Jigae, and Ojingo Bokkum.
As mentioned, there are more-muted offerings on hand for the less adventurous taste-buds – a delectable-sounding Filet A Poivre, a Pan-seared Duck Breast with a Port Raisin sauce, a traditional Meatloaf, and a Pork Schnitzel – each served with a side of heat in the kimchi mashed potatoes. All of the entrees that were coming out of the kitchen looked significant of size, and the sizable lighter fare menu offers excellent choices for those desiring a little less – including an Asian burger (with cucumber kimchi), Pan fried Yakimandu (chicken dumplings with ricotta cheese, soy bean sprouts, scallions, and napa cabbage), and a pair of flatbread pizzas. In other words, there’s something for everyone.
Aptly named for its convivial atmosphere, Mingle offers exceptional food in a jovial setting: at the time I arrived a couple of strangers were becoming fast friends at the bar, and the tables were enjoying friendly exchanges with the staff. Good food and drink always seem to inspire an easy camaraderie, and a restaurant running on all happy cylinders seems to inspire such joy in its patrons. This is one of those places that has so many unique and varied dishes that you will need to go back over and over and over – and I’m not at all sorry that it is so.

• Visited March 2014