“If you're looking for Artisanal or unique cheese go here. If you're just stopping in for a sandwich, think twice.”

The Cheese Traveler
Ranked #73 of 714 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: American, European, Cafe
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Specialty Cheese shop serving, gourmet grilled cheese, cheese and charcuterie plates, and soup (fall and winter), beer on draft or packaged (on or off premise), wine by the glass, hard cider (on or off premise), craft sodas, hot brewed coffee (fall, winter, spring), and cold brew coffee and tea (summer). Also serving Friday Night Cookout dinner service 5-8 PM May through September 30th. Limited seating, first come, first serve. Gluten Free and Takeout available.
Reviewed 22 November 2016

This is a cheese HAVEN. All cheese lovers will wet their pants walking in to this shop. However, we weren't going for cheese this time around. We came in for sandwiches as they were one of the few places open on a Sunday afternoon for what we thought would be a quick in and out lunch. They offer just a handful of sandwiches to choose from- Many with meat and some without- all pressed with love on a panini press. The sandwiches themselves are delicious, but we didn't leave enough time (our fault). We figured how long could it take to make a grilled cheese... I guess we didn't realize a fancy robust flavored one takes longer than expected.

So go here if you love cheese but if you're going for lunch, just realize you need some time and the menu is literally just grilled cheese and soup. (which are both delicious).

Also they have an outstanding craft beer selection.

Reviewed 1 November 2016

Stopped at this small shop/cafe on way to Albany airport. what a surprise - really great cheese (brought home the creme des citeaux), bread, nuts, olive oil, etc and terrific grilled sandwiches and drinks. The owner -Eric - and all the staff -- seem to love what they do and are very friendly and informative. Great samples. If you're in Albany this is a very worthwhile stop.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

If you are a lover of grilled cheese sandwiches and really all things artisan, this is the place for you. Easy access right off the exit traveling through Albany, we decided to stop and grab a bite to eat. What I thought would be a stop for just a grilled cheese sandwich turned into a dining experience, complete with an Albany-based hard cider I was able to open up right at the table. A very knowledgeable staff was able to help with not only the menu items, but also the local, national, and international cheeses they had for sale. To complement the selection of cheeses there are several local, regional, and national microbrews that you can either take home with you, or enjoy right in the shop. A selection of specialty jams, honeys, olive oils, vinaigrettes and more made it a shopping trip as well for me. Most items for those you can only find in a specialty store, and I am sure most of them are worth the purchase. Truffle salt from Italy stood out the most for me, and I bought a couple jars for myself along with some other keepers. Quick enough for a visit as you go through town but also worth a trip if you are local looking for a new experience.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

Stopped here on my way out of town. Extremely knowledgeable owner and staff who obviously love what they do and it shows. I picked up a great variety of cheeses as well as gourmet crackers and other accompaniments.

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

Stopped in here on the way between Schenectady and Poughkeepsie. Try the smokey mountain oh and the cheese platter! Even all the extra stuff is great!

Been to The Cheese Traveler? Share your experiences!