“A Wonderful Surprise”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Albany, New York
“A Wonderful Surprise”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

We took advantage of a Groupon discount to enjoy the "From the Garden" dinner for four with pairings of wine to complement the food. The chef used local foods excellently with very good pairings of wines. The chocolate in the desert was loved by both my wife and sister (both chocolate lovers).

The service was friendly and informative. If the restaurant had tried to tie in local ciders/wines, I would give it a perfect score.

3 Thank Dave P

Saratoga Springs, Ny
“Great Meal, Great Owner”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This place is literally the perfect hole in the wall. The food is made with love. We had a four course menu with eggplant soup, a dressed salad, macaroni and cheese, a lemon olive oil cake and a flight of wines with each course. The owner comes over and shares his love of wine with each pour. He really makes the meal and seems to be in the restaurant business for the pure love of food and people.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Widgeon14
Albany, New York
“outstanding experience in albany -- who knew?”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

What a fabulous surprise to find this little gem on Lark street. We went via a groupon offer for five course dinner with wine pairings and how glad we did. The staff was wonderful and solicitous, explaining each course and the nuances of the wine that went with it. All home grown local foods -- can't wait to try this in summer! I am gluten intolerant and they had no problems accommodating me. Don't expect an upscale environment, this is more like pulling up a chair to the dinner table, but absolutely wonderful experience all the way around. Looking forward to going back again soon. we were also lucky to meet some great people sitting at the other end of the table; great conversation with guests and staff, wonderful food. Go! Let's keep this place in business!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank fantine3
Castleton On Hudson, New York
“A unique dining "experience"”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Overall a fun dining experience that I would recommend without hestitation.
My husband and I went with friends, had a Groupon for 4 people...we all liked our meal and would perhaps return in another season such as the Summer (if we used a Groupon--otherwise it is pricey).

A warm, quaint, intimate atmosphere--we had late reservations but we did see one table walk-in. The owner/host (married to the chef) is very gracious and spends time at each table explaining each food course and the wine pairing (three wines are presented in small flights). Very friendly but not overbearing.

It was refreshing not to have to order but to have each course just presented to us. Plus great to know that some of the food came from local farms we were familiar with. Everything was tasty and the food portions while smaller than what you migth get elsewhere, were just the right size.

We enjoyed an almost entirely vegetarian meal,except for the entree-where there was two choices (meat and meatless). They do accomodate vegans--just let them know when you arrive.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank bluesmama11
“THE Best Meal I've Had”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had the vegan option and my date had the meat option. All the courses were impressive and delicious. Portions were just right (and I am a big eater). Had unique and delicious wine pairings with some of the courses. Overall, this turned out to be the best meal I've ever had. I could not recommend this place more!

• Visited November 2013