“Good Comfort Food”

Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Established in 1976, Dave and Ron continue the Grandma's tradition of excellent meals for any occasion, friendly service and the best pies - Just like Grandma used to make! Granny's recipes prepared on the premises with old-fashioned skill provide a difference that you can taste. Homemade dinners, soups, quiches and hand-made hamburger patties of select ground beef on home baked rolls are but a few of the menu items of this unique restaurant. From our "World Famous" Cream of Turkey Soup to our 46 varieties of home baked pies to celebrating every holiday with festive decorations and coordinating uniforms, you'll feel right at home when you sit down to any meal with our family.
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

My first visit with friends who'd been here before. Apparently it is always decorated for whichever holiday is coming up next. Our waitress (Chrissy) was fun, informative, and gave good reviews about whichever dishes she was asked.
Out food was good, homemade style fare, in ample proportions for a group of guys who can be hearty eaters.
I was stuffed but sampled someone else's pie and it was delicious.
We all agreed this is a spot we would revisit whenever we are in Albany.

2  Thank SteveFromPA
There are newer reviews for Grandma's Pies & Restaurant

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was my second trip to Grandma's & my only complaint (if you even care to call it that) was that I showed up too late for breakfast, which is served until 11:00am, I believe. This is not a diner that serves breakfast all day. My fault, not theirs! The reason I bring it up was on my first visit I had pancakes & sausage. The sausage was some of the best I have ever had. So, of course I had that in my mind on this trip. They luckily serve omelettes all day, so I had the "Create Your Own Omelette" with cheddar cheese & sausage. It was delicious! A huge side of fries accompanied the meal & although I do not usually like steak fries, they too were very good. The two times I have been here, the place is always packed. The staff are very friendly & efficient. I somehow saved room for dessert & had a slice of the best coconut cream pie ever. It was creamy, with fresh shredded coconut & a flaky crust. The place is always decorated in a festive fashion, even if there is no holiday going on. We were lucky enough to be here to see it decorated for Christmas & it was lovely! You feel at home the minute you walk in the door. This place is a true gem.

1  Thank Amy F
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We were in a hurry and stopped here for a quick lunch. The sandwich was freshly made and more than I could eat. Even took 1/2 home. Managed to be extra good and pass up ordering pie for dessert. Even managed to go home without some pies for the freezer. Will do that the next time we are in Albany

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We have been to grandma's in years past as we drove through or nearby Albany.This visit we stopped to pick up a pie to bring home( three and half hours away.) The pie was just as we remembered it ...flaky delicious crust and loaded with fruit.We picked the five fruit but they had over a dozen flavors.The price is well worth it.We should have bought two.The staff is very friendly and the place is always decorated for the season.

1  Thank whitney321
Reviewed 7 November 2013

we have been going to grandmas since the 1980's and knew the original "grandma". back then the food was consistent, excellent and a great value. The past few times I have been there I have been greatly disappointed in the quality of the food and its presentation. When I had my banana cream pie, it tasted funny as the pudding was unusually thick and not creamy and I even brought my daughter home a pecan pie which she had had before and was disappointed saying the base wasn't the same. Do you have a new chef???? my open meatloaf sandwich came with one slice of bread and one piece of meat....for $12 the waitress even knew it was wrong and had the cook make me another one with 2 slices of bread and 2 slices of meat. this used to be one of my favorite places to be when I lived in Albany, but now it is very disappointing.

2  Thank majah