“Beautiful hotel, quite location, room for improvements”

Residence Inn Albany Washington Avenue
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“Beautiful hotel, quite location, room for improvements”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here for a family wedding in the area.
First, in getting to the hotel. We got as close as possible, but based on my map, it looked like we had to take a U-turn to go back to the mall to get there. But there was no entrance from the mall. So we circled back and took the turn at the light on Washington Ave Extension (at the McDonalds/Wal-Mart). The hotel is on the side/frontage road. It would have been very helpful if there had been even a small sign with an arrow directing you there, or an entrance off the mall road behind the hotel.(More detail on this later)
We had a 2 bedroom suite that was very nice and roomy enough for us. The King size bedroom has a beautiful walk in shower. It didn't have sliding doors or curtains so some of the water sprayed out onto the floor and bath mat. I loved the large wall mirror in the bathroom that had the lights behind it. Nice touch.
The second room had a queen size bed and a normal bathroom with a shower tub combination. The mattresses were absolutely not comfortable. Interestingly enough, we have stayed at other Marriot properties and they had the more 'deluxe' mattresses (like a temperpedic 'style'). Our beds were traditional mattresses (best I could tell) with squeaky bedsprings. As the hotel has only been open less than a year, I would have expected the beds to be more comfortable.
The facilities were very nice and clean. My father used the exercise room and it looked to be in good condition with basic equipment as well as towels.. No one used the pool but the area also looked very nice.
The morning breakfasts were very nice. It offered hot and cold food, fresh fruit, breads, cereals, juice, soda and coffee. Granted, there was no orange juice (I thought that was a basic) and the Pepsi was out of order. And some of the foods differed slightly each morning. All in all, it was a very nice complimentary breakfast.
Other amenities included a beautiful patio with a fire pit and comfortable chairs, a basketball court and 2 computers and a printer for your conveniences. Not to mention free Wi-Fi.
Our only 'real' complaint was after being out all day the last day (for the wedding) we got back in the evening and our room wasn't even touched. Trash, dirty towels, unmade bed, etc.... I had to go down to get a large garbage bag, clean towels and replacement shampoo, etc... What I was extremely happy about was in the morning I had a chance to speak to Brandon, the manager. He was extremely appreciative of me bringing my concerns to him. As he stated, they are relatively new and need to know where problems exist. With that said, he took my concerns about the lack of maid service the day before very seriously and was able to help compensate appropriately. At that point, I shared my concern about the lacking signage. He explained that due to the location (a 'reserve'?), that they supposedly can't put the sign up there. And as far as an entrance off the mall road, he stated they were told before they built that they would be able to make and entrance. But now, the mall is holding back on letting them do that.

In the end, should I be back in the area, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Brandon C, Manager at Residence Inn Albany Washington Avenue, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I apologize that your stay did not fully meet your expectations. If there are any other comments or suggestions you'd like to provide please feel free to contact the hotel directly!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
WALPOLE
Reviewed 25 June 2014

New property so the place looks nice but the staff is below average resulting in below average cleanliness, food quality, friendliness and they don't keep food offerings available during advertised times. My room was not vacuumed in three days, the "Managers Toast" was being closed down 15 minutes early and when I looked for items to eat the staff looked at me like I was in the way of their clean up. There were no cups to get a drink so basically if you do stay here, get to the Managers Toast when it opens and be glad for anything you get.
The breakfast quality is variable, the oatmeal is watery some days and full of clumps the next.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DAVID W
Brandon C, General Manager at Residence Inn Albany Washington Avenue, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize the food service did not meet your expectations. If there is anything else you'd like to share I'd be happy to hear your comments!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here to be close to a family function and had two rooms. One was a two bedroom and the other a studio. The rooms were spotless, spacious and comfortable. The staff was extremely helpful from the time of registration to our departure. We needed local directions, more than once, and were assisted by very competent staff. Breakfast was great and a staff member was assigned to assist with both cleaning and making people feel comfortable and welcomed. This was especially important to us since we were traveling with family members. There is a huge shopping center directly next store and the New York State Thruway down the road. The entrance to the hotel was a little tricky, so call the hotel, so they can give you exact entrance directions. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel! We look forward to seeing you again!
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is a new, franchised Marriott. The property is very clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful, albeit a little "green". We requested a quiet room because the following AM I had to depart for minor eye surgery. We were accommodated. We particularly liked the Paul Mitchell bath products and the large Eurostyle bath. On the downside, the property is located basically within site of Cross Gates Mall and the signage to enter the property was non-existent. Consequently, we had to circle around a few times to find the entrance. Also, we cannot comment on their breakfast because of our early departure and by the time we returned it was over. Overall, we would return if we had to spend the night in Albany.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I appreciate your comments and hope the next time you are here you will be able to join us for breakfast!
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is located in a quiet area and has nice sidewalks around the entire building. Nice for walking dogs since we did have our two small dogs with us during this three week stay. The entire hotel staff was friendly and professional. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The room was tastefully decorated and had all appliances, dishes, etc. for cooking. A full stove and oven was nice as well as a full size refrigerator.

The number of tv channels was not bad at all. It would have been nice if I could have rented movies though. There is no restaurant at the hotel, but we ordered food from Golden Grain Gourmet Pizza (Wolf Road) and they delivered directly to our room. The food was very good and prices reasonable. The hotel will do your food shopping for you if you give them a list by 9 a.m.

This is a new hotel and as such I am hoping my suggestions that follow may help management improve some minor problems which are perhaps just growing pains. First, the internet connection was consistently being dropped. Since I was working from my hotel room, it was very annoying to have to reconnect 10 to 15 times per day. The speed was adequate when connected and it was complimentary. You can pay for a higher speed which I did not do.

The central air conditioner in the room works excellent, but the location of the desk is directly under a vent and I constantly had to adjust the temperature so that I could warm up after having the fan blowing directly on me. The room definitely needs to be rearranged for that reason.

One of the things I look for when traveling is a hotel that has a hot tub. Unfortunately, this hotel has a great hot tub that was not working properly for the three weeks I was there (thus my rating of poor for spa in this review). My suggestion would be for management to post this on their website when this happens. One of the hotel staff members did tell us that the hot tub has not worked properly since the hotel opened. It will go for 10 to 20 minutes and then must rest for 30 minutes before it will restart. By the time we arrived, it would only go for 5 minutes which made it useless to us. To make matters worse, two days before we checked out, the hot tub did not work and the pool had a “closed for maintenance” sign up.

The hotel offers breakfast daily and a light supper on Monday through Wednesday beginning at 6 p.m. The breakfast was typical of what you find at most hotels. However, compared to other hotels I have stayed at that offer the same, there were problems with them keeping up with the quantity of food at the suppers. If you do not get there at 6 p.m., you are likely to have to wait for them to refill food and they ran out of desserts more than one time. The light suppers were okay, but not great. For free, I cannot complain though. It is a good bonus to get any food for free! In defense of the hotel, I must say that I saw some patrons taking what looked to be their lunch for the next day “to go”. Rather rude, I think. I actually saw somebody filling up a take-out container.

If I read future reviews that indicate hotel management has corrected what I have listed as flaws, I would stay at this hotel again. I would not stay there again if these things are not corrected because the price of the hotel is a bit more than surrounding hotels for long-term stays. If you value pool or hot tub, I suggest you call first to see if they are in working order.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel! I hope that the next time you are in the Albany area you will give us another chance! If you have any other comments please let me know!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 June 2014

GOOD: Nice new building. Suites comfortable, modern. Breakfasts more than adequate. BAD: (A Very) Minor point - reading lamp on one side of the bed didn't work and the whole unit had to be replaced - bulbs were irreplaceable. Maid service totally skipped one day. The next day the rooms were half done: not vacuumed, trash in kitchen left over-flowing, DW which we had loaded fully, wasn't run. Lights/electricity (thus LR TV and desk plug-ins) went out during the day on Saturday and weren't repaired until mid-day on Monday.

Ours was a week stay, 2 BR/2 bath suite. My husband & I shared one BR and his 87 y.o. father had the other. We came from the southwest; Dad came from FL. In town for wedding of our youngest son. We were offered another room after the discovery that the elec. wasn't going to be repaired right away, but our 87 y.o. did not want to go to the bother - and it was a bother due to his frailty. Because we booked thru Expedia, we couldn't receive any refund. However, we were promised Marriot points which we wouldn't use but were told that we could trade them into Southwest Airlines points which we can use - a good thing. (Just cked & we did receive them.)

Additional note: we're originally from this area and thus we were able to fairly easily figure out how to actually get to this location. However, I certainly understand that anyone unfamiliar with the area would have difficulty getting to the location. One more thing: the little lady who attends to the breakfast buffet each morning (except Monday & Tuesday) was super attentive and ever so sweet - a perfect addition to the staff, for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review! I certainly understand the frustrations you have with your stay and hope everything was taken care of to your satisfaction. If you have any further comments I would appreciate hearing them!
New York
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I had booked several rooms in this hotel for my family for graduation. Overall I have to say that the hotel was very nice, modern and clean. The front desk was reasonably helpful. I had a package coming and had notified the front desk several times because it was coming to my fiance who obviously does not share my last name. The front desk said it was no problem and they would notify the moment it arrived. Well they ended up refusing the package because they had no guest in the hotel under that name. This was a little frustrating since the package was extremely important and you would think a business hotel would be on top of this kind of thing. However, they remedied the situation by having the delivery man come back to the hotel to re-deliver the package.

Please note, this is a pet-friendly hotel. If you do not like animals, my recommendation is that you do not stay here. At first I was pleased with how accommodating the hotel was to my dog. The front desk told me to place a special magnet outside my door to alert housekeeping to the pet. I did exactly what they asked and even confirmed with them that I had placed it in the right spot. However, while my entire family was out celebrating my graduation over lunch, housekeeping must have been doing their rounds and there was a bit of an incident. Normally my dog does not bark, but after receiving a very rude phone call about my dog barking (at 2pm in the afternoon on a Friday) I assured them I would be taking care of it immediately, which I did. I came back to discover that housekeeping must have gone into the room and saw the dog or something along those lines as my dog was visibly startled and somehow the magnet I had so carefully placed to alert housekeeping was gone. Not sure what happened.

Again, it was nice and new, however did fall short a bit in customer service. Note to self, if using your GPS it may tell you to go the wrong way. It is right next to a brown Time Warner Cable building, so keep your eye out for it instead of following the GPS word for word.

Room Tip: Two-bedroom suites were nice and spacious.