“A generally good experience”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Generally good things to say here - the elevators were a bit slow at times, the hotel doesn't have a store, gift shop or restaurant, just a 'tuck shop', and there isn't much to do in the neighborhood after hours - some parts of it are downright non-hospitable, but I was pleased with everything else, including the large, complimentary breakfast, which had different items each morning, the wifi, which worked really well, and the bright, spacious room with lots of TV channels and a big window.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Nancy L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Todowntowner04,
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback for us, we always like to know what our guests are thinking. Sorry to hear that the elevators were taking their time to get to you, if it was a busy weekend there is always some traffic on them and we apologize for the inconvenience. Just to clear up confusion, we do have two on-site restaurants that are available for lunch and dinner everyday except Sunday. Our Suite Shop is open 24/7 and provides small toiletry items as well as candy, snacks and some meals. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary Hampton breakfast buffet and wifi! We certainly hope you will come back and visit us again!

Reviewed 4 March 2013

I left my coat in the room the morning I checked out. I told the front desk about it. They said they would check lost and found, and said my coat had not been found. I asked them to check the room, they said the housekeeper would have found it if it was there. I asked again if they would please check the closet in the room just in case. After arguing with me, they called the room and the guest in the room said it was not there. They said it may be in the manager's office so to call when I get home, but said that I probably was wrong and left it somewhere else. I know I didn't. When I called, the person I spoke with again suggested that I left it somewhere else. I asked to be put on the phone with the manager, who was equally as rude. Besides being down one coat, I would suggest that your employees at least pretend to care when someone loses an expensive coat in your hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Nancy L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear L S,
Thank you for reaching out to us via TripAdvisor. Please know that this situation is of utmost importance to us, and we will be reaching out to you to attempt to resolve the situation. I apologize for the mismanagement of the situation, and for the frustration you must be facing. We are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction, and look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

My stay at the Hampton Inn far exceeded my expectations. I was upgraded to the all-women's floor, and had an excellent and large room. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I was in town to take the NY bar exam, and they provided directions to the exam site. The parking lot staff was also extremely helpful. They provided recommendations to local attractions. I was also worried about snow overnight and how I would be able to get out of the uncovered parking lot in the morning. The parking lot staff had the entire parking lot cleared, and wiped the snow off my car, before 7am.

Dear Gina53NewYork_NY,
Wow, thank you for your review! Whenever we see the words ‘far exceeded my expectations’ we do a little happy dance! The parking lot attendants work hard especially during the winter months to get you off and running in the mornings and we are proud to be partnered with them. We are very happy that you had such a nice stay with us and we hope that your exam went as well. If you find yourself in the Albany area in the future we would certainly love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 27 February 2013

My boyrfriend and I stayed at this hotel while attending a concert in Albany. The hotel is very nice with clean rooms, an excellent breakfast and an inviting atmosphere, however what truly sets this hotel apart from all others is the staff. Each and every staff person we dealt with was incredibly helpful, knowledgeable, professional and provided outstanding service.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi RhondaB,
Thank you for your awesome review! We’re so glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your time here. We strive to give each guest that walks in our doors the very best experience we can and we’re glad that you found our staff to be helpful and knowledgeable. I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon!

Reviewed 21 February 2013

The Hampton Inn on Chapel Street in Albany is a fairly new hotel...about five years, I'd guess. But even that little age isn't showing. The hotel is clean and well lit, the rooms are generally in perfect order upon arrival.

I do business in Albany on a regular basis and have over the years stayed in every hotel up there: 74 State, the Desmond, the Holiday Inn Express, the Hotel Albany (formerly the Crowne Plaza, formerly the Omni, formerly the Hilton), the Marriott, the Fairfield Inn, the Comfort Inn in albany...heck, I even stayed at the Comfort Inn in East Greenbush one time when everything in town was booked up. The Hampton is hands down the best of the bunch.

As I said, the place is exceptionally clean (these days, that's super-important to me). The staff is friendly and helpful, and the price is competitive (even VERY competitive compared to a few others).

There's also free breakfast in the mornings--not what you'd get at the Waldorf-Astoria, but also not bad--certainly good enough to get you out the door in the morning with something in your stomach. Always something hot (eggs or sausage, etc), plus a selection of baked goods, fresh fruits, yogurts and cereals. And the coffee is pretty good by hotel standards.

The attached restaurants, dp Bistro and Yono's--the first is more casual and the second is fine dining--are both very, very good (wait 'til you taste the pretzel knots at the bistro). I don't know if they're actually run by the hotel, but you can enter them from inside the lobby, so maybe so.

They also have a "ladies' floor" during the week, apparently for women traveling alone, and you need to use your room keycard to access that floor. Seems like a nice feature for the nervous traveler, although I've never seen even a hint of trouble at the Hampton (can't say the same for some of the other downtown hotels).

The front desk staff is always great: friendly and helpful. I'm ashamed to say that I'm so bad with names that I don't know them as well as I should. There was a great friendly guy named John who worked there for quite a while, but he left and was replaced by a gentleman of equal helpfulness/cheerfulness, who I think is named Benny. And the manager is very, very helpful, too (Colleen, maybe?).

As a veteran Albany traveler, you won't find a better overall place to stay than the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: The rooms right off the elevators, the "X05" line I think, are handicap accessible. They...
1  Thank MTDC_Mike
Nancy L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Hi MTDC_Mike!
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for us! I’m so glad to hear that of all the hotels you have stayed at in the area, you find us to be on top! We do our best every day to make sure that our hotel is clean (we know it’s very important to people!), comfortable and inviting for our guests so it can feel like their home away from home. Thank you for also mentioning our Empire Women’s Floor as that is a really special feature of our property that we love- we donate a portion of the proceeds from that floor to the American Cancer Society to benefit the Breast Cancer Walk for Women each year. Benny our guest service representative and Colleen our sales manager are great assets to our team and I will make sure your compliments are passed along to them! Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband and I spent one night here a couple weeks ago. We got a great Senior rate and we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite. We had a large bathroom with shower and jacuzzi, microwave and fridge. We also got late checkout until 2 p.m. I have a Hilton signature VISA
and you are entitled to an upgrade if available. I can't remember the girl at the front desk who did everything.She was great. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Nancy L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Dear Judi2,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to upgrade you to make your stay a little more special. We hope you were able to relax and enjoy the Jacuzzi and late check out. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

Reviewed 10 February 2013

The Hampton Inn and Suites is a modern hotel located in downtown Albany. From the time you enter the hotel where you are greeted by a beautiful fireplace, you can’t help, but be impressed with this hotel.

The front desk staff is friendly, professional and extremely helpful. The check in process was smooth and efficient. They answered all our questions and even gave us written directions on how to get to Red Lobster on Saturday and the Cheesecake Factory on Sunday.

The room was tastefully decorated and the rich oak colors added a touch of class our room. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean.

We were in Albany to see Jeff Dunham at the Times Union Centre which is located about 8 minutes away.

Room Tip: If you get a room on one of the higher floors facing the front of the hotel, we will get a better vi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rebuilder

Dear Rebuilder,
We sincerely thank you for leaving such a wonderful review. We are so pleased that you found your time here to be so enjoyable and that we impressed you with our hospitality and amenities! We aim to make each guest feel as though this is their home away from home. We hope you had as great a time at the restaurants you visited and at the Jeff Dunham show. Please allow us to welcome you back when you are in the Albany area again!