“Pleasant stay, unresolved situation”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore, Singapore
“Pleasant stay, unresolved situation”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here for a total of ten nights from 16-27 February. As a guest (I stress this point) my entire experience was nothing short of fantastic. The other reviews are right on point that they have the best service staff, everyone that I had the pleasure of dealing with were extremely helpful and even remembered me by name. The room was also spotless and the housekeeping staff were polite, non-intrusive and gives you a lot of privacy. The business centre which had fast and reliable internet was also easily accessible for my printing needs.

(NOTE FOR BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVELLERS):

My only gripe is that I had requested two parcels to be shipped (internationally via Fedex) when I checked out, and the front desk had promised that they would see to it. When I called the hotel 12 days later, I was greeted with disdain by a grumpy and irritated staff on the midnight shift who suggested I "call back in the morning" and obviously wanted to take no responsibility with helping me resolve the matter. This was despite me informing her that to do so would be extremely inconvenient (time difference) and I even had to suggest to her if she would like to take my details down so that the staff could call me back in the morning (never happened).

I eventually called back a few days later with the hope that I would at least be provided with a tracking number, which was when I found out that my parcels were still sitting in the office because the international packaging (?) had apparently not arrived. I was surprised because I thought would at least have been afforded the courtesy of being informed of this close to 2-week delay, especially since the items were important, albeit not crucially urgent. I just called again this afternoon (its been 17 days), and was advised to "call back on Monday morning" because the staff claimed she was "not in charge" and "did not have any information". At this point, I have no idea what is going to happen to my items.

In all, great hotel if you are only looking for a nice, comfortable place to crash, but if you require any form of assistance which you cannot personally monitor post-stay, I would say be very prudent.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are women-only (security pass protected), which I especially enjoyed and wh...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cherrylene L
Meaghan W, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you, Cherrylene, for writing such a thorough review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to do so! First of all, I’m so glad that your stay itself was wonderful and that you had such a great experience with the staff. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to everyone. We take so much pride in the quality of staff, I’m glad you found everyone as great as we do!

I’m so sorry about all the confusion with the packages and for the behavior of the night shift attendant. I spoke with one our front desk supervisors this morning and he mentioned that he spoke with you and it has all been taken care of now. I’m so sorry that it took so long and was such an inconvenience to you. Please let us know if you are ever traveling to the Albany area again and hopefully we can have the pleasure of hosting you again.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us. We truly do appreciate it and appreciate your business!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
chennai
Reviewed 15 March 2014

it was a midway point for us to Boston, New York and Niagara in a quiet setting with adjacent parking.
Breakfast was just fine and sufficient. A little crowded though.
rooms were well equipped. however no privacy for a couple with other adults sharing the room,
meaning no closable door or screen.

Room Tip: too much movement in the ground floor areas.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Sagara10,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown Albany! I'm glad that everything was sufficient on your stay and that you were able to enjoy breakfast and your room.
I hope the rest of your trip went smoothly and we hope you come back and visit us again soon! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and write a review; we truly appreciate it!
Interlaken
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My experience at this hotel was fantastic! From check-in to check-out, the hotel was great. The staff, especially those at the front desk are extremely helpful, cheerful, and friendly. I have never had my hand shaken by a check-in person before - how nice!! It is in a great historic neighborhood with lots of places to eat and drink and close to government, business, and cultural activities. Only downside is the noisy heating system, but I just turned it off and despite it being winter, the room did not get cold - a testament to the insulation for both heat and noise.
I can recommend this hotel for stay in downtown Albany.

Room Tip: My room in the front was fine - I could not hear outside noises.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Meaghan W, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Jean,
Thank you for your review! I am so glad that you had such a wonderful stay and that everything exceeded your expectations! I'm sorry the heating system was loud for you, but glad that your room stayed warm once you turned it off. We will have our maintenance department take a look into it so you don't run across that the next time you stay with us!
Thank you so much for staying with us & taking the time to review us; I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff! Please come visit us again soon!
Woodhull, United States
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed for one night to attend a conference in the area. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The room, bathroom and hallways were spotless. The complimentary breakfast was very good also. The area is great also. There are a number of restaurants and taverns nearby to fit any personal taste. I only has one little paperwork issue at check out and the staff took care of it right away.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Meaghan W, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Mark,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown! We are so thrilled to read that everything was to you liking, particularly the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel; I will pass along your kind words to everyone! We are in a great location and are glad that you were able to enjoy a bit of Downtown Albany while you were here!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for the review! We hope you come back and stay with us again soon!
albany, United States
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Wireless worked great and fitness center served the purpose. Location was convenient and close to capital buildings. Continental breakfast had many options for all diet types. Would stay again and recommend to others.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hi Keith,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown! I'm very glad that the room was clean and comfortable and that everything was to your liking. Our breakfast is something we are constantly striving to make appeal to all people and I'm glad that you found it to have a great variety!

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us, we truly appreciate having you hear! Hope you visit us again soon!
Queensbury, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband recently had surgery at one of the Albany hospitals, and I didn't want to drive home the night after his surgery (one hour drive) and then again in the morning. I also wanted to stay with him as long as possible the night of his surgery. I was fortunate to make a reservation at the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Albany and informed the desk manager that I would be arriving late. She assured me that that would be alright. Fatigued, I arrived at the hotel, which is beautifully appointed, at 11 PM. I was greeted by an extremely amiable front desk clerk. She informed me that I had a room on the "women's floor" and explained that I would need to use my room key in a slot on the elevator to access that floor. I was able to order a glass of wine in the restaurant bar, which, again , is beautifully appointed and the staff friendly and professional, and they made me feel welcome and comfortable. The women's floor, which can only be accessed by women on that floor, is a self contained floor with coffee, tea, fresh fruit, and snacks available 24/7. When I opened up my hotel room door, my breath was taken away. Again, beautifully appointed with all of the comforts (or more) of home. The mattress and pillows were comfortable and the linens beautiful. After a long and stressful day, I was able to relax and rejuvenate in five star comfort. The breakfast buffet the next morning had something for everyone and is served in the lobby with a variety of comfortable seating. I highly recommend this hotel which is conveniently located near downtown theater and sports venues.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Meaghan W, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Paricia, thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown!

We are so sorry that your husband had to have surgery, but we are glad that we were able to lessen the burden a little bit for you! We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy the comforts of the Empire Women’s Floor and I’m so glad to hear that all the amenities helped you relax you during a stressful time. We are very proud of the quality of our breakfast buffet and are pleased that you were able to enjoy it as well!

Please come back and visit us again soon when your husband is feeling better, we’d love to have you back! Thanks again for staying and taking the time to review us!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is an update on an unpleasant experience at the Hampton Inn – Downtown Albany. In short, my key card was mistakenly deactivated by the front desk, I was unable to sleep in the room I paid for, and was berated by management for not knowing the staff’s procedure. It was quite an unbelievable experience that, I’m relieved to say, finally received a resolution.

After 19 days of contacting the hotel and receiving no voluntary follow-up from management on the matter, I received a call back from their general manager who finally apologized for the breakdown in communication and procedure that led to me being locked out of my room for the evening. Among the restitution was an invitation to go back to Albany and give the hotel another try with a free stay. It is a very nice gesture and in the event I travel back to Albany I would take them on it. In spite of the difficult evening I endured, it is noteworthy how friendly the front desk staff was throughout the process. My disappointment with my stay had less to do with the friendliness of the staff or the cleanliness of the hotel; and attributed more to the lack of procedural knowledge by certain staff members, and the initial less-than-cordial conversation with management.

My initial review for this hotel awarded it 1 star, based on the fact that I was unable to unlock my door and sleep in the room I paid for, as well as my frustration not receiving responses or constructive resolution from management. Since then management has gone out of their way to make things right, and I am upgrading my rating to 2 stars. If I end up back in Albany and actually get to enjoy my stay at the Hampton Inn, I would certainly look to upgrade the rating further. For the rest of you weary travelers, I recommend checking all your key cards to make sure they work (even after you request additional keys) lest you accidentally have it deactivated and leave you locked out of a room you paid for, as was the case with me.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jimmy L
Amy C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
We look forward to your return stay to Albany and at our hotel!