“Mediocre but convenient” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Upstate NY
“Mediocre but convenient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Disclaimer: I am a clean freak, so my expectations might be higher than most.
When in town for business at the Capitol, I stayed two nights. The first night, my bed cover was a lumpy mess (lumpy duvet insert). The air conditioner vents needed cleaning and though I did clean them myself, I still woke up with an allergic headache. The bed was very comfy! My second night stay was impromptu, so I had a different room which was cleaner. Visited a friend staying in a suite and it was roomy and well-appointed. The Inn doesn't have a shuttle, but a taxi van from Marty's Transportation was on site much of the time. The cost was $8.00 to go 5 or 6 blocks up the hill. You can leave your car in the lot for the day, even after you check out. ($12.50/day) I made the mistake of taking a yellow cab back to the hotel and it was a disgusting mess--that driver makes a point of picking up stray cats daily. (enough said), so try to use Marty's if possible. The breakfast was standard-- fruit, juice, yogurt, coffee, 'egg omelets', sausage/bacon, bagels, etc. The desk staff was very friendly, as was the parking lot valet.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Amy C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Livetotell,
Thank you for being a guest of ours and for also taking the time to provide your feedback about your most recent stay with us here in Downtown Albany. We take all of our reviews and feedback from our guests and utilize each one to make every future stay the best stay for all of our guests. I am pleased to see you enjoyed our comfortable beds, and the service that Marty’s Taxi provided. I will be sure to discuss with our executive housekeeper and their department about the high importance of guest room vents and making sure all duvets are properly inserted to ensure all of our guests have the perfect room to start a memorable stay with us. Again, thank you for being a guest of ours and for also sharing your feedback about your most recent stay. We would love to have you as our guest for any future returns to the area to better your experience. Thank you and safe travels!

Amy Bridges

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hebrew first
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Was a guest at this Inn a few days ago.

No staff at front door to greet us and found parking at entrance a little confusing..ended up leaving car in a very small driveway and proceeded inside to front desk..

Front desk staff explained parking was located at back of hotel in a secured area which ended up being quite good as attendant takes the car and parks it for you. There is a convenient back door to inn from the lot .

Pleasant bar area and bistro type restaurant on premises...both quite nice and lively.

Room was a little small but clean and well equipped with everything needed for a quick stay...had a king bed which was comfortable enough but is starting to show some wear..linens are white but beginning to look a little grey, possibly due to overwashing.. okay bathroom...room had a disinfectant odour when first arrived but this soon disappeared.

Window view was terrible..looked over heating and cooling units ..a bit disappointing as this was our first visit to Albany and would have preferred something a bit prettier to look at.

Breakfast included in price ..served in main lobby....food looked okay but after having our morning coffee, decided to walk to a neighbourhood restaurant to have our meal.. the inn breakfast is not really the type of environment we enjoy for our morning meal.

Must give a good mention for our bellhop "Wallace"...pleasant guy who was quite helpful in answering our questions and just an overall pleasant attitude.

One elevator(there are two) not working during our stay but not a big inconvenience.

Will not stay here again but would still recommend for a short visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Wendy F,
Thank you for being a guest of ours and for also taking the time to provide your feedback about our property here in Downtown Albany. We appreciate all guest feedback and use it as a training opportunity to better our hotel for all of our current and future guests. I am pleased to see you enjoyed our clean guest rooms that had all the necessary amenities and also our comfortable beds. I will be sure to bring to the attention of our executive housekeeper the possible wear of the linens. DP’s and Yonos is an excellent place to dine while staying at our property, I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience. Our parking is located in the back of the hotel which is great and convenient for our guests. We have signs directing our guests to the back side of our hotel to help assist with any confusion. I am pleased to hear you had a chance to encounter Wallace. He is a great asset to our team and he is always willing to help our guests with any questions or needs. I will be sure to share your kind words with him. I would love to invite you back to our property to better your overall experience with a fantastic view of Albany and for you to also try our delicious breakfast in the morning. Again, thank you for being a guest of ours and for sharing your most recent stay with us. We would love to have you as a guest for any future stays. Thank you and safe travels!

Amy Bridges
Owings, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is very nice and quiet. I love the furnishing in the lobby and rooms. The staff was very helpful and very nice. My room was very spacious and clean. I will definitely return to this hotel. I loved the fact that it had valet parking and your vehicle was in a private lot that was secured. The complimentary breakfast was good and the are was very clean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Meaghan W, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Charlene,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown and taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad you had a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed everything at our hotel. I am especially thrilled that you found everything to be clean and that you found our staff to be friendly & helpful. We take great pride in the level of staff and the quality of work everyone does and I'm so glad you were able to experience the same!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and please come back and see us again soon. Have a wonderful & safe 4th of July weekend!
Saint Albans, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was a great stay! The room was very clean and comfortable! We stayed two (2) nights, Saturday and Sunday. Everyone was friendly and accommodating, three cheers for Zac at the front desk! Nice breakfast included. Was surprised there was a fee for overnight parking, but felt safe with the valet, worth the $$. Unfortunately, we booked through Travelocity, they did not accept our AAA for the discount, and was traveling with my sister, so was disappointed that the 3rd floor was a secure woman's floor and that wasn't mentioned either! 2 strikes for Travelocity!!

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Meaghan W, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Debvt,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown and for taking the time to review us! I am very glad that your room was up to your standards and you found our staff to be kind and helpful- that is always our goal! I will pass along your kind words to Zach; he's fantastic, isn't he? I am sorry you were surprised by the valet fee, but I do agree that it adds a level of safety which we all enjoy. I also do apologize for the confusion with Travelocity, hopefully we can get it cleared up and that won't be an issue again in the future!

Thank you again for taking the time to review us, and please come visit us again soon!
montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I had a wonderful stay the this hotel, polite staff, clean rooms. All was in order for my husband and I. Would recommend this hotel to my family and friends. Hoping to get another chance to be a guest at these wonderful hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Nicki P
Nicki,

Thank you so much for your review and for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown! I am thrilled that you had a wonderful stay and that everything was up to your liking. I will pass along your kind words to my colleagues, we truly appreciate your feedback!
Please do come back and see us again, we would love to have you back!
Mobile AL, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed in this hotel on one night of our celebration of our 45th wedding anniversary. The hotel is convenient to the historic Palace Theater, the venue of the show we went to see in Albany. We had gotten a restaurant recommendation from a friend who knows Albany well. Imagin our surprise when the restaurant turned our to be located in the hotel. The food and service were excellent. We have had many wonderful experiences in small but sophisticated cities, and our stay at the Hampton Inn brought our the best of our memorable trip to Albany.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Robert B
Robert,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown and taking the time to review our hotel. First of all, Happy 45th Anniversary! What a wonderful milestone! I am so glad you chose to spend your special occasion with us and got to go to the Palace and experience the wonderful dining of Yono's. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the restaurant staff.
Thank you so much for staying with us and please come back again soon, we loved having you here!
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Good sized rooms, friendly staff, great downtown location near lots of restaurants and bars. Stayed here for business at Albany Medical College, which is about 20 minute walk. Breakfast was standard for a Hampton, a good way to start the day if strictly utilitarian. Only minor problem was that one elevator was broken, but I assume this would be fixed. Valet parking next to the hotel was 12.50. Windows don't open, which I prefer, but cooling system was fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 57_Mercator
Meaghan W, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
57_Mercator,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown and taking the time to review us! I am glad that you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed our rooms, staff, and our fabulous location! I am glad you were able to walk to Albany Med and also enjoy our breakfast; be sure to check it out again on your next visit, we are always looking for ways to improve it! I am sorry that the broken elevator was an inconvenience to you (& others) but it has since been fixed and will be ready for you on your next visit!

Thank you again for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, we truly appreciate having you here!