Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
1,111 results
All reviewsfront deskvalet parkingpalace theatrewithin walking distancepearl streetvalet servicebars and restaurantscomplimentary breakfastalbany downtownparking lottimes union centerempire state plazabreakfast staffbusiness tripvery nice hotelwafflesfresh fruit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 February 2007

If you see the photos of their lobby on the website - they are misleading. It's not as nice in reality. The nice-looking furniture and fireplaces are there, but are only a small section of the bigger room which includes the breakfast buffet, etc.

The breakfast buffet was pretty good, I have to say. They had these egg and sausage biscuits which you assemble yourself which were yummy.

We stayed in a king suite with a kitchen. What was dissapointing is that on our arrival the room had no microwave - and although it had a kitchen with a stove, fridge and dishwasher, there only 4 plates and a frying pan. What were we supposed to cook with? A maid brought us a microwave that night and the next day I complained to the front desk and the manager went out and bought us a full set of supplies, which was very nice. But still, you'd think they would have thought of this before.

There are 2 restaurants in the hotel, but no room service. We tried the less fancy restaurant and it was just so-so.

It was annoying that in our bathroom there was no mirror or sink. The mirror and sink were located in part of the bedroom. So there was very little privacy when freshening up, etc.

One other annoyance was that the lights in the suite were so bright. They used these super powerful bulbs in the lamps, which i guess were supposed to make the room look cleaner or something, but it gave the room a cold feeling. I had to go out to Rite Aid and buy some regular lightbulbs to replace them. This made a huge difference and was much nicer. I don't understand why they would do that.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay. The location is nice, good breakfast, comfy bed. I would probably go back.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank oog
Reviewed 11 February 2007

Stayed overnight for a business trip. Decent new hotel with clean modern rooms. Especially liked the all Kohler fixtures. No fancy stuff otherwise but everything was neat probably because it is a new hotel. Check in and out were without problems. Free buffet continental breakfast was good. Valet parking was a bit slow due to the way they park the cars.
Note that there is no room service. The restaurants are attached to the hotel but are independent. There is a small door in the side of the hotel that lets you go to them without going out.
The 2 restaurants: DP a "french" brasserie and Yonos a nouveau indonesian cuisine fancy restaurant. Had a decent filet mignon frites and a beer at DP. Was tempted by Yonos but did not want to go for it alone. If I had I would have probably tried their 8 course tasting menu.

I had read previous reviews before staying and was intrigued by folks mentioning staff that looked like they did not belong. I think I solved the mystery. When I was checking in, 2 men came up to the reception desk and asked if work was available. "Not today" was the reply. It seems to me that the hotel may be hiring some folks on a day to day basis based on occupancy. That could explain the tee shirt and jeans staff other folks saw..

Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Docsam
Reviewed 19 January 2007

I stayed there for 2 nights. When I returned the second night I found that my room was half cleaned. The bath tub and shower wasn't touched and the face-cloth was right were we left it.. The desk had water stains from the glass used that morning and the dust was on lamps etc. I called down and told them and they asked me what I wanted them to do...I said it was late and I surely didn't want anyone coming in now to clean my room. They also charged me for 2 nights of Parking and I didn't have a car...

4  Thank pocopicketNewYork
Reviewed 17 January 2007

Stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown for one night 1/6 and was very pleasantly surprised.

Loved the location, yes you did have to pay to park in the lot behind the building, but that's what you get for booking a hotel in a downtown area of a city-it was no big deal.

Hotel was beautifully decorated and very clean. Front desk staff was very helpful w/ directions, restaurant recommendations, etc...

Stayed in a Queen suite and it was very comfortable and nicely appointed. Only complaint would be that the bathroom was small.

You can walk to tons of restaurants/bars, etc... and we did not find it to be loud at all. (And we were there on a Sat night)

Would def. stay again.

• Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank laurenm
Reviewed 13 November 2006

The hotel was fairly easy to get to once I figured out where to park - there is a parking attendant to make sure you have your keys ready!

The front desk was very nice checking us in; the restaraunt had great food, though a little slow.

The room was good with a gorgeous bathroom! Our view was the parking lot but that was fine with me. The immediate area was very small town-like with concert hall right up the street.

Getting back on the road was no problem as well. I would come to this hotel again if I'm back in the downtown Albany area.

Stayed: November 2006