“Wonderful Place To Stay!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dix Hills, New York
“Wonderful Place To Stay!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed here the other night after arriving in town for the Bruce Springsteen concert at the Times Union Center. I was most impressed about the friendliness of the staff. EVERYONE, from check in to valet, from housekeeping to wait staff at the buffet.......were all extremely friendly and welcoming. The room was large and clean and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and the valet parking is a pleasure. The only drawback, for me, was the street noise. But if you are staying in a city and have a city view room, that can't be avoided. The solution....bring disposable earplugs or ask the front desk for a pair! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Amy K,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. If there is anything we can do for you in the future feel free to reach out and let us know. We look forward to seeing you again!

Andrew Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hebrew first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Like the tittle says it use to be a better hotel. Since the new owners took over the restaurant and bar closed. Valet should be free since they lack the amenities commonly found in a downtown hotel. The rooms are nice but lobby and elevator are scary. Staff lacks the service and attention. This hotel should be a Roadside Inn as far as I am concern. Will not return and I recommend you don't waste your money and precious time at this place. They are plenty if great hotels in the area that offer more for the money.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Cristina L,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We apologize that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay. There have indeed been some changes to the services offered here, which are reflected in our surest rate structure. We have recently added items such as a free hot breakfast buffet and HDTV with On-Demand viewing.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you'd like to discuss your stay further, we surely do not want to lose you as a guest.

Again, we apologize for failing to meet your expectations.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've stayed at 74 State at least four times over the past year. I have always found that the staff is friendly and my room is clean. Apparently, the hotel is under new management, so the free breakfast I received last time was a pleasant surprise. I will continue to stay at 74 State when I am in Albany.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mary D,

Thank you for you continue patronage, we enjoy having you. We also look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

While traveling to Albany my company made reservations at 74 state. I have had coworkers stay here last year and the reviews were positive. Mine ...not so much.

After checking into my room I realized there was no soap, shampoo or conditioner. The tv was very small (flat screen but just out of place small for room size).
I called the front desk to get soap and the nice man said he would bring it right up. He did not apologize and I do feel he has to do soap runs daily.

Very odd.. wont be back. Comfy beds was the only positive.

Also paper coffee cups. Very tacky.

• Stayed May 2014
Andrew S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Rachel M,

On behalf of the entire staff here, I would like to apologize your stay did not exceed your expectations. It is inexcusable there were no basic amenities placed in your room prior to your arrival.

I hope you can give us another chance to prove we can do better in the future.

Please feel free to reach out if there is anything further we can assist you with regarding your stay.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Up until February I would have given this hotel 4 stars. In a little over a month, and with new management, corners are being cut and it shows! The unique touches that used to make 74 State my favorite place to stay on frequent trips to Albany are quickly disappeaering. The fabulous restaurant and bar-now closed. Starbucks coffee in room replaced by cheap imitation brand. Glasses and ceramic replaced by cheap paper plates and plastic cups in room. No more bottled water in the room. And cleanliness is no longer a prioirity. This months stay will be my last. Too bad new ownership doesnt recognize the importance of maintaining the quality of is destination. It certainly felt more like a Comfort Inn than a boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else unless you enjoy Comfort Inn quality.
Green Features: They should loose their green award. They have swapped out all glasses and ceramic for cheap disposible paper plates and plastic ware.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Andrew S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Cathie L,

Firstly, thank you for writing a response regarding your stay with us, we value all comments from our guests to try and make all guest stays better. I would also like to apologize for the changes being made do not exceed your expectations.

In the past few months we have gone through many changes to better suit the needs of a majority of our guests, and while we have changed what is offered, we have also added items to enhance each guests stay along with more modest rates than we have offered in the past. We have added such items as, a complimentary hot breakfast each and every morning as well as a full offering of high definition channels on our televisions, including on demand viewing.

Again, I apologize we did not exceed your expectations. If there is anything further you would like to discuss with me please feel free to reach out to the hotel.

SIncerely,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

If you happen to be traveling to Albany and are looking for a very nice boutique hotel then this would a great choice.

My first stay and will be back next week. The staff is more than pleasant and helpful from the valet attendant to the front desk receptionist. The hotel has an old world charm that permeates the premise. My room was large, clean with a large bathroom and functional gas fire place. The bed was amazing, probably the most comfortable that I’ve slept on in years.

The hotel location is perfect. You are within walking distance to restaurants (try Jacks Oyster House which is a block away. It’s the oldest privately owned restaurant in the US at 100 years old and it’s wonderful).

If you appreciate boutique hotels for their uniqueness, charm and hospitality, then take it from this seasoned road warrior and stop by 74 State.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mark N,

Thank you for your response regarding your stay at 74 State. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2014

74 State Hotel is an unexpected treasure in Downtown Albany. The hotel staff is first class and the rooms are spectacular. Even the bathroom is bigger than some rooms in Midtown Manhattan. The mattress was extremely comfortable as were the pillows. I had friends who stayed in two other rooms and they too were raving about 74 State Hotel. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting the New York State Capital. Some of the bigger chains should send their executives to 74 State Hotel, they will learn a lot about customer service. Although we did not partake in the free breakfast due to the fact that we had a breakfast appointment elsewhere, we could not believe they even offered their guests breakfast. Great Job!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bill l
Andrew S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Bill,

Thank you for your kind response. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in Albany!