“Massive renovations needed”

Ramada Plaza Albany
Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Overall the hotel is not that bad and the hotwire price was cheap. But if ever a hotel needed some renovations this is it.
The bathroom is nasty, the tub has three knobs, each one indicating H for hot water...they also don't turn the same way. Stains and dead bugs are in almost every corner of the room.

I have a feeling that Ramada's are being phased because they are all in dire need of renovations.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank David A
JEFFREY C, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

My apologies, we have been working diligently to upgrade every area of our hotel, We have all new carpets, Simmons Pillow Top beds, new bedding package and one of the industries best Free Breakfast. Our staff is also one of the best around. We pride ourselves in customer service and we will continue to do what is needed for all our rooms.We have also just ordered new drapes. We appreciate all our guests and work very hard to correct any issues as we work to have everyone's experience a great one!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
1  Thank David F
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is older and on the outskirts of the city (about 3 miles drive from downtown), but the staff are very helpful and regularly offer shuttle rides for free or a small fee to the airport and other places you might need to go.
The rooms are older (the bathrooms could use a remodel) and the A/C is quite loud, but everything is clean and the beds are comfortable.
The breakfast buffet is one of the better ones I've seen for an included breakfast - has almost everything you could want except for fresh fruit.
Overall a pretty good deal if you don't mind being not in the center of things.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was originally set to stay in a Marriott for the NYS Bar Exam and switched to the Ramada because I was told there was a shuttle to get to and from the exam in downtown Albany for a fee of $5 each way. Since I didn't wish to either rely on a taxi or drive myself, I felt this would be a great advantage and switched my reservation. Very disappointed with this property and wish I had kept my original reservation.

Pros:
-Decent breakfast
-Comfy mattress

Cons:
-The aforementioned shuttle. I was not told that the shuttle was first come, first serve, in person, when you checked in. Since I did not check in until 6:30pm the night before the bar exam, I was told that the later shuttle was all booked up and my only option was a shuttle set to arrive one and half hours before I needed to be at the exam. Considering you cannot take a phone or any reading material, this was entirely unacceptable. I should have been told this when I made the reservation but instead was surprised, angry, and upset the night before the bar exam. The shuttle time (6:30am) would have left me with no option to eat breakfast at the hotel since the hotel breakfast began at 6:30. I was forced to make other transportation arrangements, and this was not an experience one wants to go through the night before the biggest exam of their life.

-The WiFi was awful all over the property and especially the rooms. This is a big problem for anyone attempting to do business in the hotel, and was especially so for the bar applicants who were all trying to upload their exam files after the first day of the exam.

-I thought I would take a relaxing dip in the pool, but both the indoor and outdoor pools appeared to be unheated and were extremely cold

-The pillows were extremely uncomfortable. It was impossible to use two but using only one hurt my neck

-There were insufficient outlets in the room and we had to literally rearrange the furniture just to have both nightstand lamps working.

-The neighborhood is pretty terrible, as the hotel is right off the highway and there is nothing around it.

In sum: stay at another property. This hotel was extremely overpriced for what it was and I've got to imagine there are far better places to stay in the Albany area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
JEFFREY C, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

I am sorry for all the issues you had. We found out Monday that everyone had received an email saying they were starting earlier than planned and staying later on Wednesday. We have been providing inexpensive transportation for years and it has always worked out for everyone. People always have the option of taking a cab. Our internet is the new 50meg from Time Warner and everyone tells us this is the best internet of any hotel they stay in. We ask people that if they have any needs to please call the front desk, as we will always go above and beyond to accomadate all guests. We all know the stress of taking the test and we try to do everything in our power to make it as comfortable as possible. Again my apologies!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is an old hotel, renovated... I must say instead, redecorated, because it's still an old hotel.
The room was clean, the bed very comfy. New decor was nice. Still old bathroom, old plumbing (but a nice shower head), old wallpaper but new rug and recent paint.
As I say, the room was clean and comfy and the hotel was quiet.
The service was friendly, nothing bad to say but didn't ask for anaything special either.
The are 2 pools, one indoor and one outdoor. Polls were clean but pool area wound need a little more attention like basic cleaning (at least ground sweeping) overnight. The outdoor pool has plenty of sunshine but there is no long chair to lay under the sun (??).
Free included full hot breakfast was very good.
Location is good, fast access to 787, 87 and 90 highways.
Wi-Fi was very good.
I would stay here again if the price is right (I mean 95$ max).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I went to book a room on Expedia and was having trouble. I went to the front desk and they matched Expedia's room rate. Then I forgot the wall charger for my phone. The front desk charged my phone. The front desk was extremely helpful and nice. The bar had one gentlemen working. He was extremely nice, but the wait times were slow. He was serving food, cleaning tables and pouring drinks. The breakfast in the morning was very good for the price and for a Ramada. There were many food items to choose like eggs, waffles, breakfast meats, fruit, pastries, bagels and cereal. The room was clean. Would return if in Albany.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business