“Best Possible of all Worlds-- highly recommended”

Hilton Garden Inn Albany Medical Center
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 16 January 2008

My husband was scheduled for some surgery at Albany Medical Center-- we needed to stay overnight one night for pre-op and 2 more the following week for his actual surgery. I called about 2 weeks in advance, talked to Denise (an absolute doll) and she got us all set up for both visits. We received a great rate, far lower than published rates. This hotel is new, extremely clean and well run. Every person we came in contact with was pleasant and acted as if they knew us. Both visits were terrific. The rooms were spotless, and very nicely decorated. Very nice flat panel tvs in the room. When we stayed this week for the surgery, we received a very nice personal phone call from Denise making sure our room was ok, and letting us know to call if there was anything we needed. What a nice touch! This was a perfect set-up for same-day surgery. We needed to be in the hospital at 6 am, and then he was released the same day, but I wasn't comfortable putting him in the car for a 2 hour ride home, and I didn't have to. We didn't even have to wear our coats, as the hotel is connected by a heated walkway to the hospital. I was able to go to my room once he was in recovery to make some phone calls, knowing that I was literally just steps away if I needed to get back quickly. This was really the best possible set up I can imagine. Don't hesitate to stay here..I would recommend making a phone call directly to the hotel to see about special rates, rather than trying to book on-line.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lynnl716

Reviewed 11 January 2008

I really enjoyed this hotel. New furniture, including very nice beds. I really enjoy having a nice LCD widescreen tv and especially enjoyed the Herman Miller office chair, which is miles above in comfort compared to the crap they usually have in hotels. Staying up on Wolf Rd near the airport has a lot more restaurants, but otherwise I bet this is one of the best hotels in Albany.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2007

This is a solid hotel with spacious/clean rooms and friendly staff. One of the nicer Hilton Garden Inn's that I have stayed in. While the location is a bit out of the way, you get a lot for your money here including all that comes with a brand new facility. Small Pool located on the lower level with a decent excercise room which includes ellipticals, treadmills and dumbbells. I would definitely stay here again, especially given the lack of nice hotels in the area.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 15 November 2007

We recently had a family medical emergency which brought us to Albany and were so pleased to find the new, well-run Holiday Inn Express actually attached by a covered walkway directly to the hospital. Our room was nicely appointed with comfy beds, loads of fluffy towels, nice finishes. The staff was so accomodating with our rush to get immediately to the hospital (delaying check-in), but most of all we appreciated their hospitality when we got our elderly mother to the breakfast room just AFTER closing time the next morning. They graciously stayed open for us and were so pleasant, which was very soothing when dealing with a serious situation at the hospital. HIghly recommend it.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 29 October 2007

The Hilton Hotels have a "star" program where they encourage guests to fill our a little card if an employee is deserving of special recognition during the stay. I just turned mine in reading "EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, EVERYTIME"!

If every hotel in the country ran like this one, there would be no need for TripAdvisor ratings. The staff was astonishing. From the front desk to the guy sweeping up the already immaculate sidewalk each and every single hotel employee i passed smiled and greeted me. The young woman who checked me in on Friday night greeted me by name every time she saw me thereafter. The young man who quickly stocked and straighened up my combination sleeping room/meeting room apparently didn't know too many words in English but his brilliant smile communicated his eagerness to do a great job.

One thing i noticed that was parrticularly telling: as i was checking in, the young woman at the desk was expressing her sadness to see the gentleman ahead of me checking in again. Why? This hotel is closely associated with Albany Medical Center and many of their guests stay long term because a loved one is a patient at the hospital. She told him that she was sorry to see him checking in again because it meant his family member was not being discharged as they had hoped. Such wonderful compassion, such personal service, such a caring heart!

I travel a great deal and stay in many hotels in the course of a year. It is rare that a hotel scores a perfect 10 in my book but if i could give this place a 20 i would. Employees of this caliber only come about with sterling management. My compliments to everyone from the group sales coordinator who was kind and accomodating during my initial phone call to the last person who bid me a safe trip as we checked on our Sunday morning.

If you need to stay in Albany, this is THE place - stay here with confidence!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2007

Stayed here for a concert at the Pepsi arena. The hotel provided a free shuttle both ways! The room was great. The bedding was especially comfortable. Overall a very pleasant stay. The staff was helpful and nice, the hotel, beautiful and clean.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2007

This was the best HGI I've stayed at. The whole atmosphere is clean, new, and friendly. It seems to be connected to the hospital, with a Starbucks and a bank on the first floor, and the hotel lobby is on the second level. Front desk staff were unusually friendly and helpful--they took care of every detail and did it with a smile. Rooms were big, clean, and well equipped. No problems with in-room Internet access, and the gym was better than at most HGIs (includes free weights in addition to the typical cardio machines). In short, this was a fantastic stay and I would stay here again in a second. It actually feels like a higher-class hotel than a Garden Inn.

A tip about directions. The entrance is off Holland Ave., just south of New Scotland. The driveway for the parking lot is tough to spot--it actually looks like you're turning into the hospital, but if you look closely there is a small HGI sign.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business