“A little disappointed”

Hilton Garden Inn Albany / SUNY Area
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews and feel like I stayed in another place. We came to Albany for a family event being held at Garden Inn. We arrived early and I inquired about checking in early. I knew it might not be possible. ( I was an hour and half before check in time). Didn't get a room early but desk clerk made a snarky remark about my family arriving early. I paid in full at booking but didnt book the breakfast deal. I inquired at check in about adding this and was told I couldn't add it because I pre-paid. (Must be an HHONORS perk????) Got my room. Having just spent my vacation at 2 other Hilton properties, I was disappointed in the room. While clean, it didn't look "refreshing". A/c was LOUD. Bed was horrible. It was noisy and like sleeping in a canoe. I actually went on line and read about their "sleep system". Beds at Hampton Inns and Hiltons I stayed in last week were comfortable. This bed has scratchy sheets , creaks with each move and sucks you into the middle. I think they should re - evaluate the "sleep system". I am going to photograph and send to company headquarters. Night desk staff saved me from panning this hotel completely. At least I will get HHonors points. Next week, it's back to the Hampton Inn. If you are traveling to Albany, there's 2 Hampton Inns. I suggest staying at either of those, especially if comfortable, quite beds matter.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Beth L
Tamara3125, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Albany / SUNY Area, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I apologize for the bed and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Our Housekeeping staff goes over the bed to ensure cleanliness and condition but they don't actually get on the bed so we were unaware the issue. Our guests usually rave about the beds, but I am sorry to hear that was not the case for you.

Our Engineering staff has taken care of the issue with the A/C so future guests won't have the same problem.

I will discuss the comment about the front desk staff making a snarky remark at check in. I am appauled that an employee would do such thing, for all of the employees are genuinely friendly and professional. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Tamara Meunier
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 11 August 2014

For a brief stay, this place worked for us. The breakfast was good-- the waitresses were extremely attentive and hard working. Everything in the gym was in good working order. Parking was extremely tight as the hotel was at capacity, complicated by the shared lot with the hotel next door.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review!

We hope to see you the next time you are in the Albany/SUNY area.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Pros: large suite, terrific breakfast made to order.

Cons: Internet was like dial-up could not get any work done. Housekeeping never came to clean the room, called front desk they told us they were gone for the day. Nice shower but missing a light, like taking a shower in a dark cave.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Burlson
Matthew K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Albany / SUNY Area, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Burlson,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I’m glad you enjoyed the large suite and our breakfast. I do want to apologize for the experience you had with our internet running slowly; we do not usually experience this as we have a large amount of bandwidth, however it may have been during a high internet traffic time at night. The Hilton Garden Inn brand has a premium option now to purchase an even faster speed for a nominal charge. As for the shower in your suite, I agree that it is a bit on the darker side; the large bathrooms in the suite have a lot of lighting, and perhaps we should look into seeing if we can get the appropriate wiring to install an additional light in the shower. Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here for several days when taking the bar exam in Albany. The hotel is very clean and the staff was extremely friendly. It is in a convenient location right off the highway, but you would never know it since the property is very quiet. Breakfast was a good value for the selection and the fitness facilities were nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your positive review of our property! I am glad we were able to keep it nice and quiet during the BAR exams. The next time you find yourself in Albany we would love to accommodate you again!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Nikki Saunders was wonderful with our email correspondence as we blocked the rooms for our guests, requested early check in, and provided guest bags and information.

On the day of the event, the bridal suite was spacious and perfect as the girls had hair and makeup done. The photographer and videographer had no issues and flowers and limo arrived as the front desk assisted with all.

Tamara Meunier was wonderful during our entire stay! She was able to accomodate our guests' early check in requests. The staff welcomed us and were happy to help, making the day even more enjoyable.

The lobby is spacious, clean, modern and the breakfast was wonderful. I can't thank the hotel staff enough for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your glowing review of our property and CONGRATULATIONS on your marriage!

I witnessed Tamara and Nikki work with your group and I am very proud of the work they have done as well. They have received your review and I have also sent this to corporate. Thank you for all of the business as well by staying with us! The next time you are in the area Nikki, Tamara and I would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Clean, friendly atmosphere. Hotel staff very nice and receptive. Very convenient to the University of Albany. Complimentary water and coffee in the am. Complimentary scones in the afternoon. Nice breakfast buffet for $9.95. I didn't have it but it looked nice. (However, I have been to a lot of hotels that the same buffet is complimentary.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Matthew K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Albany / SUNY Area, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear SueP413,

Thank you for the nice review and the high rating! The next time you are in the area I invite you back.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Traveled to the area for business, the hotel was centrally located and a terrific bargain. Super clean and very friendly staff, will return to this hotel. Was only about a 40 minute drive to the Saratoga area, nice trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your positive comments on our staff and facilities. We like reviews like yours because it means we are achieving our goal of great guest service as well as clean facilities. The next time you are in the area I invite you back!