“The Hotel with a Sensitive heart”

Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I booked three rooms for my family members from Massachuettes to stay while attending my youngest daughter's High School graduation party. My 2 sisters and Mom checked in at 3pm according the hotel policy. After the party at my home, my sisters returned to the hotel for a swim in the pool. We went out to dinner with my Mom and 2 sister's families. During the dinner my sister, Becky received a phone call from her son and daughter who remained at home due to work. Their dog, Bruno had become ill and was having difficultly breathing.. By the time they had returned back to the hotel, they received the dreaded phone call that Bruno had died. They were stricken with grief that the family dog of 11 years was gone. They decided that they need to drive the 3 hours back home to be with their children. The Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany was wonderful about the whole situation.. They charge them nothing despite they used the pool and had checked in. They didn't have to be so sensitive about the situation, but they were. I have used this hotel for family events in the past, but now I have bigger incentive to book this hotel in the future. Being a dog owner, I know how great a loss a pet can be. It is nice to know a hotel can provide a "Sensitive heart" in a time of need, instead of just a place to stay over night.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dutchessmom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We have been staying at the Best Western Sovereign in Albany intermittently for several years. It is convenient to all sites but not right downtown, so it is a more peaceful setting. Rooms are neat and clean. Customer service is excellent. For one visit, a customer service agent called ahead and asked if we needed any special arrangements, and when we checked in, the desk clerk followed up with helpful suggestions. Price is reasonable. Full breakfast in the hotel restaurant is included. We've been very happy and will continue to stop here on overnight trips to Albany.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SophiesMom4
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I had to make a last minute reservation for a stop over on the drive to Lake George. Travelling with an infant i needed a place that was clean and not too expensive. This was the place. Arrived late at night and check in was fast and easy. Room was fine and clean, had a microwave and fridge which was great. Comfortable night's sleep was what we needed and we got it here. Breakfast was included and while nothing fancy it was perfectly fine. I felt I got a great value here.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank mmhanigan
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Accomodations and amenities equivalent to a 4 star hotel inclusive of excellent personnel.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank cishepherd
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We made a stop here on our journey to cape cod and just needed basic accommodations which this location provided. Rooms are showing their age but otherwise clean. Building could use more accessible ramps for loading luggage that are convenient. The front desk was very courteous and helpful. They even called into our room to check that everything was to our satisfaction. Decent sized pool, though they were short on pool towels. Fitness room is very tiny and treadmill not working, leaving you with 2 other machines to choose from. Free breakfast had excellent service to keep things warm and the tables clean. Right across from University of Albany. Would go again, but only as a quick stopover.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
SovereignHotel, General Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you for your kind words. We are working on renovating our property, so we hope that you give us another opportunity to see our updates.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

This may be the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at. My party rented three rooms, and all three rooms had bed bugs. Even without the bugs, the beds were uncomfortable and the whole hotel was ugly, smelly, and generally unappealing. All of the ice machines were mysteriously missing, the wireless internet was completely unprotected, and I cannot think of a single good thing to say about the whole experience. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Johnson48713
SovereignHotel, General Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing stay. I wish we had the opportunity to improve upon your concerns while you were with us. Please know that our hotel has not had a verified instance of Bed Bugs in over a year. Do not hesitate to contact management for documentation to verify this. That said, your feedback is being taken to heart, and we will do our best to get better.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hotel is in dire need of updating,but,Many places I've stayed in are older,but at least have been maintain.This place just seems on it's last legs before a major reno.A shame because the staff I dealt with were very good,and for the location is great.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
SovereignHotel, General Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and we will be renewing our efforts to update the property. A new round of renovations is being scheduled and will hopefully change your opinion for the better. We hope you give us another opportunity.