“The Best Best Western I've stayed at!!”

BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Buffalo, New York
“The Best Best Western I've stayed at!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

I had a work related conference in Albany, New York and I've stayed at the Best Western Sovereign Hotel in the past because it is in a great location and I was very impressed this time round. Apparently the hotel is under new management and the new owners have really done some great improvements. The overnight room I stayed in had new carpet and the walls were upgraded. The housekeeping service is excellent and the customer service from the front desk is fantastic. I'm looking forward to my next visit to Albany and this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank 22Fur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

We stayed in this hotel for one night on the way to Canada and it was terrible! Firstly they put is in a tiny room with hardly any space for the four of us and the paint was peeling off the walls with damp. When we asked for a roll out bed they offered to move us to a larger room for free to accommodate the bed. The second room was worse that the first! There was a fowl odour of cigarette smoke right down the corridor and when we got to the room it smelt like someone had just been smoking in there! The walls were worse that the first one with patches of black damp and the curtains looked as though they had been there since 1900. There was also a blood stain on the bedding on one of the beds. The bathroom was tiny with no space to move at all and there was no fan so it steamed up quickly. The pull out bed had a spike at the top where it secured itself when folded up and could easily have killed someone if they fell on it in their sleep. Overall a terrible stay and i am glad we only booked it for one night. The guy on the desk when we first arrived was fab but when we checked out, a different guy was very strange. Did not give us a great impression of Albany overall would not go back.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Tiverton RI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2008

My husband, daughter and I stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend. I was completely freaked out when I saw a cockroach in the bathroom. I spoke to the desk clerk, and they gave us a room on the top floor. I don't know what difference that was supposed to make, since the infestation would be throught the building, unless they were appeasing us by giving us a larger room. Unfortunately, the toilet didn't flush and the TV remote didn't work in the bigger room. I was so worried that we would bring home roaches. What we did bring home was a large tick on my daughter's back (the hotel allows dogs). We have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over the world, and have never had such an awful experience. The only positive thing I can say is that the pool was very nice, but they couldn't pay us to stay here again.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — bugs
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Katort
Lake Placid, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Best Western Sovereign Hotel in mid october. The hotel on a whole is average, I do not have many complaints...the rioom itself was very clean as was the hotel interior and exterior. They have an indoor heated pool which was very nice and always clean and maitenanced.

The hotel offers a hot breakfast with your room and includes eggs, sausage, hot oatmeal and make your own belgian waffles. We took advantage of this on Friday morning only but the setup looked to be plentiful and the food was very good.

Onsite restaurant has very good food and the service is good.

The only problem I had was with the room bathrooms, the hot water was not hot, and there seems to be miscommunication in the housekeeping department as some days amenities were provided and other times they were not. Since we brought our own bathroom supplies this wasn't a problem but had we not this would have been an issue. Called the front desk twice about the hot water situation and it was never rectified.

Overall for the price of the room this is not a bad deal just make sure you do not want to take a hot bath or long shower you may or may not have hot water and if you do you won't know how long it will last.

Hotel is convientiently located about 1.5 miles from Crossgates and Steuyvesent Plaza and is a nice walk on a good night.

• Liked — Location and accesibility
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lpvacationer
Essex UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

Recently spent 7 nights here due to a family wedding in the area and found the hotel to be of a good standard and excellent value,with Complementory shuttle service and an Indoor Pool also for adults a complementory breakfast was a pleasant bonus.
Staff at reception and cleaning staff were friendly and very helpful Only one minor blemish from one man working in the breakfast room who either should take a holiday or leave as he is not best suited to cusotmner service and it appeared all too much for him.
Though in truth it did not affect us at all and we had 10 rooms approx and nobody complained about the hotel at all and the Hotel offered a good price for our stay, even in their high season,much appreciated
The Grill and Bar Area provided us with very good food at a reasonable price and the bar staff were lovely too.
I would be pleased to say here anytime and will again no doubt on family trip in future.

1 Thank JohnGEssex
Upstate NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

I stayed here with my daughter and 2 other teenage girls for one night when they went to a concert at the Times Union Center. The hotel is directly across from the entrance to SUNY Albany which was nice as I was able to take them for a drive around the campus. Also liked that the hotel was right on route 20 so I could easily get to downtown Albany and the TU Center without having to get on the highway. We had a standard double room which was roomy enough for us. I did have trouble with the TV remote and it was immediately replaced but that didn't seem to be the actual problem. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant was included and pretty good - including eggs, sausage, make your own waffle station... The best thing was that the price was right - the AAA rate was under $80.00 pre-tax.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Upstatefamily
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2008

Very pleasant and comfortable -- big room, comfortable beds, good-sized fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Extensive breakfast buffet, and they gave us water bottles and fresh cookies at check-in. Only complaint is the erratic Wi-Fi system -- most of the time we couldn't get on.

• Stayed August 2008