“Relaxing”

Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Albany
new york
“Relaxing”
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Great Hotel for the money. Unlike other other hotels where the rooms have outside entrances I like hotels where you can get to your room from the lobby. I hate walking a mile outside just to get to your room. With kids it feels safe too.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank zain1104

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Buffalo
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I travel a lot for business. Last year I stayed here and the stay was ok. But this visit wasn't I in for a surprise. Wonderful. The rooms were fresh and clean and the staff friendly. I look forward to my next trip to albany. I will be staying here for sure. Thank you Best Western for making me feel at home.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank tommy_traveler_9
va
Reviewed 4 May 2009

people were friendly, sevant and professional
room was clean andfresh
location is not bed but it's beauty it's close to shopping places.
service was excellent

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mo_travellerVa
Ottawa
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I wish I could say that "You get what you pay for" with this hotel, but I certainly did not.

Very outdated. Horrible fitness facilities, and an attached restaurant that is more pub than restaurant.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank HabsFan21
Canberra
Reviewed 15 April 2009

This hotel was ok, not great. Nice lady on check in gave us free bottled water and yummy cookies. Room was a little old but not awful. There is free wireless internet but no desk in the room so had to sit with laptop on my knee to work. Room was supposed to have a microwave but it didn't. Not a problem for us as we ate out but if you were counting on it, you would have to chase it up with them. We were on a non smoking hall/floor but we could smell someone smoking and the halls didn't smell the best during the day. Free breakfast was ok, bacon and eggs, oatmeal, make your own waffles, muffins, bagles and strangely, cakes and chocolate pudding (!)
The stand out for us at this hotel was the shower, it was really bad. I have always disliked water saving showers and this one was up there with the best (worst?), I wanted to wash my hair and found it almost impossible to get my whole head wet and rinsing out shampoo and conditioner was again almost impossible. For the four of us to have a shower each, it took so long, we surely used more water than if we could have jumped in and out in 5 minutes each in a normal shower! I would not stay here again, just because of the shower.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Aussiejigsnreels
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I had a work related conference in Albany, New York and I've stayed at the Best Western Sovereign Hotel in the past because it is in a great location and I was very impressed this time round. Apparently the hotel is under new management and the new owners have really done some great improvements. The overnight room I stayed in had new carpet and the walls were upgraded. The housekeeping service is excellent and the customer service from the front desk is fantastic. I'm looking forward to my next visit to Albany and this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank 22Fur
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We stayed in this hotel for one night on the way to Canada and it was terrible! Firstly they put is in a tiny room with hardly any space for the four of us and the paint was peeling off the walls with damp. When we asked for a roll out bed they offered to move us to a larger room for free to accommodate the bed. The second room was worse that the first! There was a fowl odour of cigarette smoke right down the corridor and when we got to the room it smelt like someone had just been smoking in there! The walls were worse that the first one with patches of black damp and the curtains looked as though they had been there since 1900. There was also a blood stain on the bedding on one of the beds. The bathroom was tiny with no space to move at all and there was no fan so it steamed up quickly. The pull out bed had a spike at the top where it secured itself when folded up and could easily have killed someone if they fell on it in their sleep. Overall a terrible stay and i am glad we only booked it for one night. The guy on the desk when we first arrived was fab but when we checked out, a different guy was very strange. Did not give us a great impression of Albany overall would not go back.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)