“SPRUCE TRIP” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cary, North Carolina
“SPRUCE TRIP”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Here for a business conference for three nights. All went well for the stay. Hotel provided shuttle service to airport. Tried one of the restaurants, it was nice. I had drinks at the tavern one night. Service was good there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Lenox, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Easy friendly check in! Clean and comfortable! The lobby was very inviting and I wanted to go in the gift shop but was pulled toward the check in counter - lol. The Tavern was awesome and the service the best ever! We had drinks and a bite to eat and we were totally relaxed for our pre-trip! :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marlene M
Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I was here for a convention but would definitely return for business or pleasure. This would a great place to visit as a romantic getaway or with the whole family. The hotel has two indoor atriums that provide a great ambience.

3 Thank James K
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Desmond is the host hotel of a conference my husband is working at, I'm along for the ride until we take the train down to NYC for the rest of our vacation. Free Shuttle service from the airport is very nice and quick! The front desk staff was very friendly at check in. I get the theme of the hotel, but there still could be some updating to be had. Not exactly luxurious, as I read in the hotel's own description. Room ammenities were sub-standard - the hairdryer is barely a whisper, the shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles are super small and only two sets of towels. I would have expected at least 4 bath towels. The walls are paper thin; our neighbor had their TV on all night long and we could hear every word of the telephone conversation she had early in the morning. They had a "fitness center" which had 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a recumbant bike and a stepper plus free weights and yoga mats. Then, next the the pool (and I mean about 3 feet from the edge of the pool) was a multi-use weight machine. Very odd placement. The weight plates were corroded and rusty from the humidity and chlorine.
I've read other reviews which said there was a musty smell, but thankfully, we didn't experience this.

Room Tip: I rated "Location" as average because it is about a $25 cab ride to downtown Albany. It i...
1 Thank Kristy S
Nags Head, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

After visiting Albany many times for business I finally decided to stay at The Desmond simply because it was SO convenient for me; flying in and out of Albany Airport in short order. What a wonderful surprise! Warm, professional staff, comfortable room, beautiful property layout and excellent dining. Could not be more satisfied. Oh, and the rate is great too.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor is my only comment.
Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Went to my High School Reunion October 11- 13 and got a junior suite in the "Mansion Building" of the hotel. On arrival, after a five hour drive, the desk clerk was snippy.
She sighed -huh - do you know about a room service order? Apparently an option when booking is to have a fruit basket in the room on arrival. My husband chose the option and the order did not go through. I guess it was a lot of trouble for her to handle our stay. The suite was a great price, about 200 per night. About average for Albany which has a terrible roster of hotels.
The hotel is homey in a funny way, the keys are in a small manilla envelope.
The fruit basket, when it came, was a couple of delicious apples, some oranges a couple of strawberries and some grapes. It was 27.90 and I think if I had known it would be mundane supermarket fruit I would have gone to the market and bought it. If you are going to offer an amenity, something special, make it something special. It is apple season in an apple producing area of NY and you give me Washington State apples?
The Bellman, Scott, was excellent. The room was okay:
NO IN ROOM SAFE.
Throughout the wallpapers were attractive.
Shabby living room with two wing chairs set in the middle of the room between a "fireplace" and a TV cabinet. On one side there was a desk, on the other a small table. The closet is in here.
A small hallway joins the living room, bathroom and bedroom.

The Bedroom was well appointed with a lovely four post bed, a good size dresser, bench, TV cupboard. There were two small draped dormer alcoves with windows. These were a good place to stash the suitcases. The blanket on the bed was one of those awful polyester "velux" things that trap heat like a sauna cabinet.

The bathroom was recently redone -- sometimes you wonder why they bother when the features are not helpful. There was inadequate space for my toiletries and no drawers. The magnifying mirror was on too short an arm to reach the end of the counter and unbelievably the shower curtain was a tension rod. My husband went to hang his towel up and it crashed onto his head. The number of towels was inadequate and there is no place to hang a hand towel. The lighting was good. When I asked for more towels on leaving the desk assured me they would take care of it before we returned. They did not. I called again and was brought a large armload of bath towels and floor mats.

Breakfast was not Gluten Free Friendly and the menu is very limited. This surprised me since they boast 3 restaurants in this large hotel.

If I were to order breakfast at almost any other hotel they would have a loaf of Gluten Free bread handy. We ordered an egg breakfast and some fruit. Of course I could only have the eggs.
Coffee for two came in those tiny carafes. It was exactly that two cups, like `16 oz. of coffee.
We asked for crispy bacon and got barely cooked bacon. The eggs were tolerable. It was reasonably priced but I've had much nicer breakfasts for the same price.

The lobby of the hotel is nice. Whenever I went to the desk, there was only one person at it and they were always busy with, it seemed, the same set of people.

I would say this was an okay stay. I wasn't too impressed with it; but Albany is not known for it's hotels or restaurants.

Room Tip: M30 is not a bad room but the furniture in the living room was not comfortable or conducive to curl...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steph1
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I waited until the last minute to book for an event that I wasn't sure I was going to. I spoke with Janet who was amazing. Not only did she get my group rate authorized but she put me in a beautiful room overlooking one of the indoor courtyards and a Koi pond. I would come back in a second thanks to Janet's helpful and kind exchange.

Room Tip: Indoor courtyard view rooms are very cool