“Very pleasant and convenient”

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

The Desmond Albany is laid out like a historic village. Our room was very pleasant, comfortable and clean. A room on the 4th floor, overlooking an interior courtyard was charming, and midweek very quiet, with the sound of fountains providing a soothing background noise. I wonder if it is as quiet on weekends... There are other rooms that face a quiet back lot, if you don't want to be on a courtyard. The gym and pool are quite nice. It is far superior to downtown Albany hotels, IMO.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I got married a couple weeks ago and decided to stay at the Desmond for my wedding night on November 16. I wanted it to be special and so we got a two floor suite. The people there knew it was my wedding night (both when we made the initial reservation and were told again when we checked in) and my husband and I were very excited to be there. All my friends asked what the hotel did, knowing it was my wedding night and I said, "nothing." They, like myself, were shocked by the cold manner with which our reservation was handled. I understand you are not required to do anything special for people on their wedding night, but would it have killed you to put out a bottle of champagne or a congrats note on our door? We could have spent that very special night anywhere and we chose the Desmond, and regretted it. Very disappointing you didn't try and make it special at all. I wouldn't stay here again because if you really wanted to make it a special experience for your customers, you would have made just a little bit of effort.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Here for a business conference for three nights. All went well for the stay. Hotel provided shuttle service to airport. Tried one of the restaurants, it was nice. I had drinks at the tavern one night. Service was good there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim G
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Easy friendly check in! Clean and comfortable! The lobby was very inviting and I wanted to go in the gift shop but was pulled toward the check in counter - lol. The Tavern was awesome and the service the best ever! We had drinks and a bite to eat and we were totally relaxed for our pre-trip! :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marlene M
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I was here for a convention but would definitely return for business or pleasure. This would a great place to visit as a romantic getaway or with the whole family. The hotel has two indoor atriums that provide a great ambience.

3  Thank James K
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Desmond is the host hotel of a conference my husband is working at, I'm along for the ride until we take the train down to NYC for the rest of our vacation. Free Shuttle service from the airport is very nice and quick! The front desk staff was very friendly at check in. I get the theme of the hotel, but there still could be some updating to be had. Not exactly luxurious, as I read in the hotel's own description. Room ammenities were sub-standard - the hairdryer is barely a whisper, the shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles are super small and only two sets of towels. I would have expected at least 4 bath towels. The walls are paper thin; our neighbor had their TV on all night long and we could hear every word of the telephone conversation she had early in the morning. They had a "fitness center" which had 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a recumbant bike and a stepper plus free weights and yoga mats. Then, next the the pool (and I mean about 3 feet from the edge of the pool) was a multi-use weight machine. Very odd placement. The weight plates were corroded and rusty from the humidity and chlorine.
I've read other reviews which said there was a musty smell, but thankfully, we didn't experience this.

Room Tip: I rated "Location" as average because it is about a $25 cab ride to downtown Albany. It i...
1  Thank Kristy S
Reviewed 25 October 2013

After visiting Albany many times for business I finally decided to stay at The Desmond simply because it was SO convenient for me; flying in and out of Albany Airport in short order. What a wonderful surprise! Warm, professional staff, comfortable room, beautiful property layout and excellent dining. Could not be more satisfied. Oh, and the rate is great too.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor is my only comment.