The Desmond Hotel Albany
US$145
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
1,347 results
All reviewskoi pondindoor courtyardscolonial villageunique hotelfour poster bedconference centerbit datedclose to the airporthot tubshuttle servicenew yorkwolf roadtavernsimpsonsweddingconventionwallpaper
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at the Desmond recently while attending my High School's Bicentennial celebration. Most of the events were at the School so what was important was a good night's sleep each night. I definitely got that at The Desmond. The bed was so comfortable. My room overlooked the atrium but unless the french doors were open, I couldn't hear any noise. The decor is a little bit kitschy but isn't that more fun that the standard generic hotel furnishings? Also, the Tavern has an excellent single malt scotch selection. I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

A hotel that hosts conferences and large groups but has been designed to make that feel welcoming and rather fun. The internal "square" made up of house facades and storefronts is welcoming and, at least when we were there, was quiet--which mattered, as our room faced the square.

Room Tip: Facing inward to the square on the 3rd floor was a good location, though if there is a party going on it would be noisy, I would think. As our party was elsewhere, we came in at 10 PM and it was quiet.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The weekend was bound to be madness--my school's bicentennial plus reunion for classes ending in 4 and 9--and the challenge they faced was substantial. But it was a great experience from the van driver who collected us from the airport to all the desk staff, housekeeping, and the folks who provided a fine Reunion dinner. (Particular praise for the cheesecake, I remember.) It's a sprawling establishment but I got to enjoy that walk to my quiet room at the far end. Plenty of hot water in the shower, too. Decently comfy beds. Good coffee and nice offerings at the continental breakfast. If I ever need an Albany hotel again, this is likely to be the one I turn to.

Room Tip: I heard some rooms that opened to interior were stuffy, a little muggy. Make sure you have a window to the world outside.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Terrific spot for business travelers. Comfortable well appointed rooms, professional and courteous staff, great location, excellent on-site tavern and restaurant. Nice meeting and conference rooms available.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My experience at the Desmond was amazing, largely because of the team that handles the Town Hall meeting amphitheater. I held a varied program there that involved 17 presenters, many with multiple AV equipment and lighting needs. Rob, Chris, Todd and Don were professional and courteous far beyond any experience I've had at other hotels where I've held meetings. Rob, who is in charge of the tech department, went well past the figurative extra mile, really more like cross-continental, to accommodate my program. The quality of the AV equipment was top notch, the room itself (the Town Hall) was large (it easily seats about 100+ people), attractive and comfortable, and the level of tech support - before, during and even after the event - removed all the stress of the usual meeting and program planning. We needed a specialized handicap ramp - they got it and installed it, no problem. Extra microphones and wireless headsets, no problem. PowerPoint equipment, no problem. Rob got it all. Chris stayed in the room throughout the entire, three-hour program and took care of all equipment changes, sound levels, lighting needs, and tech assistance to different presenters, always with patient, calm, friendly, first rate expertise. Don is the man who smooths everything over, and basically ensures that everything is running smoothly from both a macro and micro perspective. You're truly in the hands of consummate professionals with these guys. If you plan to hold a meeting or program in a hotel amphitheater setting in upstate New York, forget the overpriced Gideon Putnam further north, or the chain hotels in downtown Albany. Although I didn't use the other meeting rooms to run my program, I saw the other spaces in the hotel and they can accommodate different sized groups, with ambiance ranging from ballrooms to boardrooms. Friendlier, more attentive, more professional service simply does not exist anywhere else in the Albany region. I cannot recommend the Desmond and its Town Hall highly enough for all your meeting/program needs in the Albany area.

Room Tip: Courtyard-facing rooms are attractive but don't get enough natural light for my taste. Upstairs courtyard rooms are more private. All the rooms are spacious. Location is right off major highways, so hotel is extremely convenient. Parking is on site, free, and hassle-free.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business