“for the price you pay it's not bad and the location is good...”

Howard Johnson Inn - Albany
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Albany

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 January 2014

For the price, I don't think you can do much better. Plenty of space, good amenities (free wifi is always a plus, and it's fast too), good location - lots of places to eat nearby, and most of them will deliver to your room. I saw some other reviews that complained about it being dirty, or having a smoky smell in a non-smoking room - I didn't experience these issues. My room was always clean and tidy.

The staff here is very friendly too. I stayed here a few days a week over the span of a few months for work. I could have chosen a more upscale hotel, but decided to stick with this one mainly for that reason.

I really didn't have any complaints. The shower took a few minutes to heat up in the winter, and the continental breakfast could offer a bit more, but I think they're doing the best with what they've got.

Room Tip: Room 118 is where they serve the continental breakfast, so I guess go with 116 or 120 if you want to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kingston, New York, United States
Reviewed 14 December 2013

was clean but badly in need of remodeling. staff was nice. ok for 1 night. location idea on a busy street . restaurant on site, only 2 miles from airport. big hotel lots of rooms but rooms do need lots of help

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Do yourself a favor and keep driving. There are other hotels around that have to be better than this place. I was traveling for work and the company booked this for me. At first it looked fine, check in was quick, and there was even a restaurant/bar attached to the motel. That's where the good things ended. I was put in a room in the very back of the property, so it was very deserted. Walked into the "non smoking room" and was greeted by the smell of stale cigarette smoke. It was like it was a smoking room at one point, and they just tried to cover the smell. The room was freezing! No heat on at all. Turned the lights on and saw the stained carpet, stained bedspread, and the filthy refrigerator. At this point it was late and I was hungry, so I turned up the heat and went to the restaurant while the room heated up. The restaurant was nice, it is a Thai and the bar was well stocked and had decent food. Came back to the room and it still was pretty cold, but better. Walked in the bathroom and saw that the toilet seat was only half attached, and the floor was so sticky that my shoes were sticking to it. It was obvious to me that the housekeeping was basically non existent. I put 2 towels down on the floor to walk on. Besides having the stained bedspread, the bed was pretty comfortable. The best part came in the morning when I went to take a shower. I turned the shower on and it came out in just a stream. At first I was confused and thought maybe it was like a shower massage type shower head. When I looked up I realized there was no shower head! I had been taken off. I was able to make it through a shower without a shower head and went to the office to show them the video I took of the water coming out of the shower. At first they didn't seem to see the problem with it, until I said "there is no shower head". The woman told me "oh we must have missed that". You think? All she offered was that I could go take a shower in another room. No offer of a refund or anything like that. I told her I was fine and that I just wouldn't be staying there again. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank anthspin68
Toledo, Ohio, Usa
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Very disappointed....dirty .,,, old bedding and in need of a total rehab..will never stay at a Howard Johnson's again
It was a. Very negative experience.. Should be closed down or totally rehabbed

Poor excuse for a hotel