“Average Marriott”

Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Maine, US
“Average Marriott”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Nothing over the top at this Marriott. One very pleasant interaction with a staff but other than that, nothing above average about this Marriott. The bar area was pleasant- the food I thought was overpriced but the drinks were not. The complimentary coffee only goes to 9am and one morning they took it away at 845am so I missed it. No free wifi in rooms! Room was large and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. It allows us to share with our staff on what our guests think of our hotel and also helps other travelers make decisions about where they want to stay. I am sorry the complimentary coffee was taken away early, I will address this with our staff to make sure our guest are provided with complimentary coffee until 9AM. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Bellingham WA
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This is an older Marriott,, but one that is in excellent shape and well updated. We had a terrific night's sleep. The window opened a bit for fresh air, and we had no problem with airport noise even though the airport was conveniently close. One thing we really liked was that this hotel only had 4 regular pillows on the bed, so we didn't have to find a place to store what we think are those big,silly square ones which we never use and just take up space in the room.

The real surprise for us was how great the staff was at every level. The bar/restaurant staff was all one could ask for. Another surprise was how good the food was. The menu had lots of interesting choices which weren't the standard one sees in most restaurants nowadays. We found it difficult to decide which entree to order. The food was prepared to a high standard and artfully arranged--the salads were especially fresh and the dinners were hot and freshly prepared. This is some of the best Marriott food we have ever had. We wish that we had been able to stay more than just the one night to try other choices.

Self parking was convenient and free which is always nice.

If we were in Albany again, we would happily stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed our hotel and our staff. We pride ourselves in providing top notch customer service and it looks like we were able to accomplish that during your stay with us. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this hotel. The hotel itself was very clean and in good repair. The rooms were furnished identical to many other Marriott properties we've stayed at--and there's nothing wrong with that.

First the few complaints:

1. What's up with the stinginess with pillows at Marriott lately? Those large square pillows might look nice, but they are not good for sleeping, and we need five pillows between us. Putting only three standard pillows on a king size bed is questionable. My reservation had requested extra pillows which never materialized. Yes, I could have called, but then I would have had to wait for them to be delivered.

2. No upgrade. As a Marriott Gold member, I'm finding upgrades happening less and less often. It was a weekend in Albany, I would be surprised if their suites were sold out. An upgrade would have been a nice move considering there is no concierge lounge open on the weekend.

3. The free continental breakfast is very slim pickings with no protein at all. I can get more selection from the free breakfast at the Fairfield. We ended up upgrading both days. Also service in the restaurant in the morning was very friendly but painfully slow, even with two servers and eight guests total.

4. I tried to check in at around 2:30 and my room wasn't ready. No problem. I checked in and gave them my cell number to call me when it was ready, the call never materialized.

5. I sleep in hotels a lot, and almost always get a great nights sleep. Not here. Both my husband and I slept terribly both nights, but we can't really pinpoint the cause. The pillow situation was probably part of it.

The good:

1. As mentioned, the hotel was clean and in good repair.

2. The room was generally very quiet, there was some hall noise in the evening but it settled down by 11:00 pm or so. We did hear some airplane noise, but it wasn't disruptive.

3. The two ladies from housekeeping who were from Albania were a joy! I don't have their names, but one was in her 30's and the other in her 50's--give or take. They were working the 6th floor on September 21st if that helps to recognize them.

4. Nice indoor pool (didn't use) and extremely well equipped fitness center. Major kudo's there!!

5. The Wolf Road location is ideal.

Would I return? Maybe.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east (the back of the property) might be a little quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. We will be recognizing the housekeepers that you mentioned, I believe it was probably Marita and Enverie who were on the sixth floor that day. The availability of upgrades to suites at our property is limited because we only have three suites. When they are not booked we do try upgrade our elite members. Those are bookable through our onsite Sales Department. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Lebanon, Indiana
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I had a very pleasant one night stay at this Marriott. I had a issue after check in but the staff did a excellent job correcting the problem quickly and even gave me a free perk that was unnecessary. Theirs always going to be problems but they had the right people working to make it right. 1st floor room, clean and comfortable,would stay here again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. I am so happy to hear that our staff was able to quickly resolve the problem you experienced. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night. The staff was friendly and the price was very reasonable for the area. The lobby was ok but my room (234) smelled lightly of smoke. As far as I know all Marriott properties have been smoke free for years so either the furniture and carpet predates this policy and the smell is embedded or someone recently smoked in the room and the hotel did a poor job getting the smell out. The room was neat and pretty clean. There were some long hairs on the sheets and one or two short ones in the bathroom but other than that it was clean. Had this been a Fairfield Inn I may have rated it a 4 or 5 but I expect more from a Marriott and this hotel didn't meet that expectation.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry that you faced some challenges at our property. I want to address some of the issues you mentioned above. You mentioned you had some hairs in your room - we strive to make sure that our rooms are completely clean - I am sorry that we were not able to provide that for you. I will be sharing your feedback with our attendants in the housekeeping department to inform them of the incident so they know how important it is to be meticulous when cleaning our guest rooms. Also our hotel is smoke free and we take that policy very seriously but sometimes there are violators. We put those rooms out of service until the smell dissipates - I apologize that your room had a faint smell. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I am a gold elite, which means nothing at Marriott. I have a profile that calls for a king size bed on a high floor. I am never accommodated when I stay here. The halls smell like old feet and the room are dirty and are need of a major renovation. The concierge lounge is from 1980 and I never fell like a valued guest when I am here. I hope someone reads this and responds to looking into the room quality and has a focus on making it better for other guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Miamor13
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry that you faced some challenges at our property. I want to address some of the issues you mentioned above. We strive to offer excellent service for all our guests and I am sorry that we fell short of that for you. We always try to fulfill all of our guest requests. Next time you make a reservation with us please call ahead and I will personally make sure that your requests are met. We are always looking into ways to provide better service for our guests and have taken you comments into consideration for further improvement. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Gainesville, Virginia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed at Marriott as an elite rewards member. TV was really bad, not HD and when we turned the TV so we could see it in bed, the wire bundle was so heavy that the picture got dark. Had folks there twice, very nice, but still not hd.
The room was adequate. There in fact was noise from the airport although I had asked and been told you could not hear the airport. This was not aircraft flying overhead, but aircraft running up before takeoff.
Staff were very good and offered us offsets for the issues. We got free wifi because we are rewards members, but was $13 @day for non members. Mc Donalds has free wifi, bit not this Marriott.
No free breakfast, no free coffee on weekends.

Room Tip: Some place else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry that you faced some challenges at our property. I want to address some of the issues you mentioned above. We are conveniently located near the Albany International Airport and because of this there can be some noise if the planes fly directly over the hotel. With the changes in weather there can be some variance in their flight plan - the planes only fly over the hotel every so often. I am deeply sorry that the television in your room did not work properly. We provide some select channels in HD for our guest rooms. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you in the future.