“Convenient stop-over location on trip north”
Review of Albany Marriott

Albany Marriott
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Albany
PA
“Convenient stop-over location on trip north”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I needed to book a one-night stay while driving north through this part of New York and remembered this property from a week-long business stay a couple of years ago. All hotel staff members I encountered were helpful and friendly. One of the three elevators was out of service for updating, so there was a long wait each time. The room was furnished as expected for a full-service Marriott, but this is an older property that needs some updating. Two plush robes were provided, which was a nice touch. I enjoyed working out in the large, well-equipped gym. I also visited the concierge lounge to sample the evening and morning offerings. The evening dessert items were delicious and beautifully plated, as they would be in a restaurant. The hot items provided in both the evening and morning were skimpier than in other Marriotts. I slept reasonably well in the usual, comfortable Marriott bed, but occasionally heard planes from the nearby airport. One safety note: there is an ancillary door that can be used to exit (but not enter) the building from the guest room area into the front parking lot. This seemed convenient for guests parked in that area to return to their cars and could be a shorter route to carry luggage. This exit is not adequately marked to show that there is a potential hazard from a small step down from the door to the outside. Fortunately, I was able to regain my balance after I began to trip over the unexpected step.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. It allows us to share with our staff on what our guests think of our hotel and also helps other travelers make decisions about where they want to stay. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. I did not meet one staff member who didn't seem happy to be there. That in itself is a treat and rare find. The gym was a nice, small gym that consisted of several elliptical, treadmills and bikes. There were some weight machines as well. The pool area was nice and clean. The restaurant was good and the beds were extremely comfortable. Albany is a good half-way point for us when visiting family in New England. It's close to restaurants and shopping. We will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. I love hearing that our staff have been welcoming and accommodating to all our guests. As you mentioned our gym is newly updates and very large - I am glad you were able to get a work out in during your stay. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Albany, New York, United States
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed two nights at the hotel. We were very lucky to be able to get a room because there was so much going on in not only in Albany but with the final weekend of racing at Saratoga and with a 150 anniversary celebration in Saratoga on top of that.

The first night we had loud neighbors and there was noise from planes taking off so I put on the air conditioning in the room and that took care of the exterior noises. The beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom was well-stocked with a nice selection of toiletries. There was a single cup coffee maker, wrapped hot cups, packs of coffee and organic tea bags provided. In the lobby during the day there were two containers filled with fruit punch and with lemonade and cups to go. In the morning in the lobby there were coffee urns set out,a hot water urn and a tea bag caddy. There were more than ample self-parking spaces outside the hotel in a covered one level garage.

The hotel is truly in a great location on Wolf Road. Probably any chain restaurant that you can think of is nearby, 2 Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc. There is a mall at the end of the street and The Crossgates Mall was about a 10 minute drive with easy access to I-87 N from the hotel.

Saturday night I stopped at the front desk to ask for a local map and inquired about restaurants and Katie (Pachogue,NY) couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. She gave me a map of Wolf Road and everything on it, printed out a map and mapquest to get to the Crossgates Mall and offered to print out something else for me to show me how to get where I wanted to go on Sunday. Even at check-in the woman who helped us was very nice.

I definitely would stay at the hotel again and highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback and comments that we are the best upscale hotel in Albany! As you mentioned we are very close to Saratoga Springs and in a great location for visiting historic Albany and Sartaoga Springs on the same trip. Thanks for recognizing our host at the front desk - Katie. I love hearing positive comments about our staff and I'll be sure to share this review with her. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights for business - the rooms and decor are quite dated, and there is some aircraft noise late and early from the airport nearby. Not much else close by apart from a shopping mall a five minute drive down the road. Room service food was very average and had to move rooms to get wi-fi reception, but the hotel's gym was surprisingly well equipped and the service was good.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. It allows us to share with our staff on what our guests think of our hotel and also helps other travelers make decisions about where they want to stay. We are currently in the process of updating our wireless service to improve the bandwidth and coverage at our property. As you mentioned in your comment we do have an updated and spacious fitness center, I am glad you were able to get a good workout in while staying with us. In the future if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable just ask anyone of our hosts - we will be happy to help. Thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed 4 nights for a professional meeting, Oct. 1-5. First, the good news:
1. Free shuttle to/from airport and anywhere you want to go, with virtually no waiting. Nice to avoid the need for a rental car. Drivers were always pleasant and knowledgeable.
2. Comfortable lobby bar. Great place to gather with colleagues or wait for others to arrive before leaving for an event or meeting.
3. Meeting rooms were comfortable and adequately equipped. Conference center staff was helpful with requests. Refreshments were set up inobtrusively and on time.
4. All hotel staff that I encountered were very pleasant and helpful.
5. Starbucks in the lobby was useful for grabbing a quick breakfast before the meetings. Free (not Starbucks) coffee also was available.
Next, the things I wish had been different:
1. Though my conference negotiated for free Wi-Fi, I am always a bit annoyed when I see a hotel where Wi-Fi isn't free. That's archaic, these days.
2. I am also annoyed to see "swipe your credit card" on computers in the business center. Though there was a computer for printing boarding passes for free, I just don't see the point of restricting what I suspect is relatively predictable and routine use of computers in the business center. Seems like nickel and diming.
3. The lunch service in the restaurant was disorganized, with people at the same table getting their food at very different times and forgotten items in each order, even though we ordered in advance. Food was good, though, and the wait staff seemed to be trying.
4. I could hear the airplanes going by pretty darn loudly. Fortunately, I grew up near an airport, so I can deal with it. It would be disruptive for those not used to it.
5. Not having a physical disability, I find it inconvenient to have the room optimized for *only* the disabled: The clothing rod in my closet was low to the ground (forget hanging up a dress), the knob for the water in the shower (no tub) was very low to the floor, and the shower head was completely hand held -- no option for locking it in at a height suitable for a hands-free standing shower. The counter by the sink was so deep that I couldn't use the mirror to apply mascara -- a reasonable option would have been to include one of those wall-mounted, moveable make-up mirrors.
6. I couldn't find anything printed in the room that listed hotel services other than room service. It may have been on the TV, which is a fine additional option, but I don't generally use the TV when I travel, and would have preferred a quick, printed reference to see times for free coffee in the lobby, check-out times, pool/gym hours, whether or not there were non-hotel food delivery options, convenience store offerings and hours, nearby stores/restaurants, whether or not there was a local spa working with the hotel, a map, etc. The phone did not even have quick keys printed on the buttons. When I needed to contact the desk, I dialed zero and hoped for the best.
7. It would have been nice to have even a continental breakfast included in the lodging cost. Apparently, there was for those in the loyalty program. The restaurant was expensive.
Finally, the bad:
1. My colleague found bedbugs (confirmed by the hotel) in her room. Ick. The hotel seemed to respond appropriately. But, ick. I'm still scratching just thinking about it. I didn't find anything in my room, but I noticed that I was very itchy when sitting on the couch or lying in bed even before learning of the bedbug incident. I sometimes am mildly sensitive to detergents used by hotels (rare, but it has happened), so I chalked it up to that at the time. I checked all of my belongings and popped everything except paper and electronics into the dryer when I got home, but it still makes me a little nervous that some little expectant mother bug could have hitchhiked in a crevice of my laptop. Did I say ick?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank distortiongirl
Maine, US
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Nothing over the top at this Marriott. One very pleasant interaction with a staff but other than that, nothing above average about this Marriott. The bar area was pleasant- the food I thought was overpriced but the drinks were not. The complimentary coffee only goes to 9am and one morning they took it away at 845am so I missed it. No free wifi in rooms! Room was large and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. It allows us to share with our staff on what our guests think of our hotel and also helps other travelers make decisions about where they want to stay. I am sorry the complimentary coffee was taken away early, I will address this with our staff to make sure our guest are provided with complimentary coffee until 9AM. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Bellingham WA
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This is an older Marriott,, but one that is in excellent shape and well updated. We had a terrific night's sleep. The window opened a bit for fresh air, and we had no problem with airport noise even though the airport was conveniently close. One thing we really liked was that this hotel only had 4 regular pillows on the bed, so we didn't have to find a place to store what we think are those big,silly square ones which we never use and just take up space in the room.

The real surprise for us was how great the staff was at every level. The bar/restaurant staff was all one could ask for. Another surprise was how good the food was. The menu had lots of interesting choices which weren't the standard one sees in most restaurants nowadays. We found it difficult to decide which entree to order. The food was prepared to a high standard and artfully arranged--the salads were especially fresh and the dinners were hot and freshly prepared. This is some of the best Marriott food we have ever had. We wish that we had been able to stay more than just the one night to try other choices.

Self parking was convenient and free which is always nice.

If we were in Albany again, we would happily stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed our hotel and our staff. We pride ourselves in providing top notch customer service and it looks like we were able to accomplish that during your stay with us. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.