“Very friendly service”
Review of Albany Marriott

Albany Marriott
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The front desk staff was warm and welcoming, and very efficient. Also, despite a "pre-stay" e-mail from the GM that the upgrading of elevators might cause inconvenience, there were no noticeable delays.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side have little traffic or airport noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you did not notice any delays with our elevators while we remodel. The news ones are high speed and so far our guests love them. I hope you come back and stay with us again. Happy Holidays.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed for 3 nights with work colleagues. Evey single staff member was fantastic. The best staff at any hotel I have stayed anywhere. We arrived on a Sunday evening quite late so there were limited staff on duty but they made us feel extremely welcome. The staff at the restaurant that night were exceptional. I wish I could remember the name of the waitress who made me a special chai tea to sooth my sore throat. She also greeted us a few nights later remembering our names and drink preferences. Everything else within the hotel was good too but the staff made our stay extraordinary.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Cathy G
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for giving our hotel an excellent review on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that you were away to enjoy a weekend getaway at our property. Thank you for giving our staff an outstanding review. We strive to provide excellent service for each and every guest. I hope that you will recommend our property to your friends and family.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

After reading other reviews, I wasn't sure how this would work out but it was great. The staff was super nice and attentive, yes the elevators are under construction but 2 of 3 were working and were the newer faster models. Yes the restaurant is pricey for breakfast, but they offered alternatives if you wanted faster/cheaper fare (bagels for takeout from the restaurant and the Starbuck's kiosk). The decor is a bit outdated, but clean and in good condition and everything worked.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your excellent review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly updated elevators and that our staff exceeded your expectations. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

So my husband and I are locals who won an overnight trip and breakfast at this hotel. Because we are from the area our expectations were not very high as to how well the service would be delivered but when we finished, we were sooo impressed! Every staff person we encountered, from the door man to the manager, was warm, friendly and completely accomodating--which is EXACTLY what I look for in the hospitality industry. We checked in very late, but were still given A+ service and treatment. Not a single soul in the builidng made us feel uncomfortable or undeserving at any point and that is a HOME RUN in my book. As for the amenities, they were fine. I'll take average amenities and exceptional people over excpetional amenities and average people any day of the week. Qaulity service with a smile was what we wanted and precisely what we received!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your excellent review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I truly appreciate the kind words that you have for our staff; we always try to provide outstanding service for our guests and it sounds like we accomplished that during your stay. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Staff was great just like all Marriott staff. However it's a bit dated and the parking was limited unless you wanted a little walk - in the dark lol. Room was a bit dated too and not super clean. Elevators are under repair so it sometimes took a bit to get one. All small nitpicks, but I was a bit disappointed in the dated rooms and especially bathrooms. Dated makes it look unclean since the grout, etc is getting dirty and chipping etc.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks for giving our staff a great review! I will also see if there is something we can do to brighten up our parking lot -- we do have a parking garage as well as parking around the whole perimeter of the hotel, with several different entrances. We are currently in the process of updating our elevators two out of the three have been completely renovated included the inner workings as well as the cab. We have been getting great feedback from our guests that who have used our high speed elevators. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

The hotel fails to meet the standards set by the Marriott Brand. The hotel exterior is dated and is in need of a facelift. Anyone walking to their car will need to walk in the street, as there are no sidewalks and exit/entry points to and from the hotel are extremely limited. The interior has a welcoming lobby and accomodating staff that are timely and efficient. Unfortunately, after departing from the front desk area, the elevators (which are currently being updated) are slow and tired while the decor is in need of some serious modernization.

The room is an average size with average amenities. Old and worn carpet and furniture are apparent throughout and the closets, bathroom are pretty standard for an older hotel. All in all, the staff is helpful and friendly, but the location is probably 8 years past the need for a significant update. No major problems can be reported, but then again nothing stood out so that's the main reason for this completely "average" review.

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to offer a little more space.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John G
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry that you felt our property was average.We are currently in the process of updating all three elevators including a modernization of the cab inside as well as high speed operation. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I needed to book a one-night stay while driving north through this part of New York and remembered this property from a week-long business stay a couple of years ago. All hotel staff members I encountered were helpful and friendly. One of the three elevators was out of service for updating, so there was a long wait each time. The room was furnished as expected for a full-service Marriott, but this is an older property that needs some updating. Two plush robes were provided, which was a nice touch. I enjoyed working out in the large, well-equipped gym. I also visited the concierge lounge to sample the evening and morning offerings. The evening dessert items were delicious and beautifully plated, as they would be in a restaurant. The hot items provided in both the evening and morning were skimpier than in other Marriotts. I slept reasonably well in the usual, comfortable Marriott bed, but occasionally heard planes from the nearby airport. One safety note: there is an ancillary door that can be used to exit (but not enter) the building from the guest room area into the front parking lot. This seemed convenient for guests parked in that area to return to their cars and could be a shorter route to carry luggage. This exit is not adequately marked to show that there is a potential hazard from a small step down from the door to the outside. Fortunately, I was able to regain my balance after I began to trip over the unexpected step.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. It allows us to share with our staff on what our guests think of our hotel and also helps other travelers make decisions about where they want to stay. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.