“Average at Best”
Review of Albany Marriott

Albany Marriott
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I'm a Marriott Platinum and I usually love Marriott hotels (hence why they are my go to "brand") - but for some reason this hotel hit me the wrong way from the moment I walked in. There was nothing terrible about it, but something seemed "off" - probably due to the fact that it's an older hotel. The two issues I really had with the hotel which is why I'm giving it three stars instead of four, is that: 1) the wireless internet signal is very weak; and 2) there is no free computer either in the concierge lounge or in the lobby (the business centre computers cost a fortune).

Most Marriotts have free computers and printers in the lobby for their guests to use. The ones that do not at least have a free computer and printer in the concierge lounge. Charging $10 for a few minutes of computer use is unacceptable in the 21st century.

One great thing, the workers in the lounge are great and the front desk was pretty good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Soly44,

Thank you for taking the time share your experience with the Albany Marriott. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued guest; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Internet usage for Platinum and Gold members is complimentary that includes guest room and any work that you may need to have done in the business center. Our internet connection in the lobby is also complimentary for all of the guests.

Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

There are newer reviews for Albany Marriott

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I am a Marriott Rewards Person at the Silver/Gold level. I stay at a lot of Marriott and expect a level of consistent high quality and usually get it That is what surprised me about my three day stay.
When I arrived I was told that Internet service was extra but the service was so slow that they did not charge for it. Either way it was disappointment. First, I stay, as a business traveler at Marriott because I need to internet and second, had I not complained, nothing would have been done. I also found a little bit of food in my room on the floor. That was unexpected. Need to do a better job vacuuming. The TV would not allow me to select channels which was due to a faulty signal box which they needed to replace. One of the lamps was giving off this consistent electrical whine until I shut it off. The door was very difficult to open and the mechanism required a great deal of force. I complained twice and no one came to fix it. My room advertised having a frig abut there was not and I had to have them deliver one which would not fit. Some people were enthusiastic but others left you the feeling that they were doing you a favor. Many of the staff were new and just out of college. I went to the business office to use a stapler. There was none. When I went to the front desk they told me that they did not keep a stapler in the business office because people would steal them. When the front desk gave me a stapler I have to return it because there were no staples. When we finally got staples in the stapler, it was such a cheap stapler that it jammed. This is a cheap, bottom of the barrel, hotel, that goes not cater to the business traveler. Th upholstery was frayed.
On the plus side the front desk was very efficient. I did not try the pool or the health club. There is a Starbucks that opens at 6:00am
This is a cheap Marriott. Its the type of place that is more family or team orientated.

Room Tip: Select the highest floor possible because they have been updates. Those floors 5 and above have been...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Albany Marriott just recently.

You indicated in your response that you faced some overall service and room condition challenges. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Overnight stay for a large business training program (100+ attendees). Comfortable and clean room, good lighting, good chairs and work desk, reasonably good WiFi connection (for a price). Unusually comfortable bed. Good amenities. Conference seating and sound system were refreshingly well-organized. Good buffet lunch: not extraordinary, but tasty. Restaurant breakfast was over-priced but good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Mornseer,

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy that you were able to enjoy your stay with us. Looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent one night as a stopover on a long drive. The check-in process was quick, but when we opened the door to our room we had the incorrect room type. They moved us and resolved it, but as a platinum member with specifics on my file it shouldn't have happened to begin with.

The restaurant food was average at best. There was a lot of confusion with the waitstaff and getting orders to the correct tables. Perhaps we just hit them on a bad night.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent travels to our hote on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments and feedback, our staff goes above and beyond to try to make each guest stay of the highest standards. I apologize that you faced needing to change room types due to bed type but I am happy to hear and see that our staff was able to fix the problem you experienced during your stay. I hope you recommend us to family and friends and that you will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Every year I attend a convention at the Desmond Hotel. Although that hotel is OK, it is so nice that we finally moved to a different venue. Even better is that it was the Albany Marriott. FIrst impression was not so good - as I entered the hotel I approached the front desk. I was given a room on the 5th floor and was told it has 2 double beds. When I told the young woman at the front desk - she snapped at me "we are all sold out." Not a nice person or first impression but the rest of the stay and staff was great. The room was clean, well decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. I was a bit disappointed that there was no hotel guide in the room - I did not know about the restaurants in the hotel or the pool hours or the gym hours. The hotel is very clean and well taken care of. The gym is awesome, great equipment and free earphones to listen to the TVs that are on all the treadmills. The bar in the lobby was very nice and room service had nice choices, good food, and arrived in less than 30 minutes. Although I did not use the pool - it was very nice - my kids would have loved it.
I enjoyed staying here and hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the elevators
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about you overall experiance at our hotel. We appreciate the time our guest take to share this information with us so we can review and take immediate action and look in on the criique that we recieve. We do hope to see you on any future travels to our area!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Was there for a wedding and the entire wedding block was placed on the concierge floor, which was great, especially since participants in a soccer tournament had taken over much of the rest of the hotel. Despite the sold out conditions, staff were incredibly helpful and accommodating, including the front desk person who walked me out of the hotel to point out where the nearest walking trail was located.

Room was large and well appointed, with a large desk and sitting area and easy access to Wi-Fi. Housekeeping brought me hypoallergenic pillows quickly.

Room Tip: fitness center relatively well equipped as well, and open long hours! Had foam rollers to help mass...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that your stay with the Albany Marriott was enjoyable.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It seems as though the experience here is dependent on who the manager on duty happens to be. We have stayed here multiples times and the service has had it's ups and downs. Housekeeping is unusually unpredictable for a full service Marriott property, depending on who the manager is they may or may not try to fix the blame on the guest for having a do not disturb sign on the door, even when that wasn't the case, seems to be the "go to" excuse. The pros are it is conveniently located by restaurants and shopping and the rooms are what you would expect at a Marriott but way overpriced based on the sketchy service.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your past stays at our hotel. Everything we do is aimed at providing all of our guest with excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. Our entire teams goal is to ensure that our guest have a delightful stay at our property and we truly are sorry to see that this was not possibly the case for you for some of your past stays. I have personally shared your feedback with the appropriate departments to take action on your feedback.
We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we can address the issue and make sure that you enjoy your next stay with us.