“Plusses and Minuses”

Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Rhinebeck, New York
“Plusses and Minuses”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Recently had a business meeting at the Ahtoellbany Marriott which required an overnight stay. I have often stayed in this hotel the night before a very early morning flight (great proximity to the airport) but have to say this stay was not up to anticipated Marriott standards. Because of my schedule I was only in the room long enough to drop my suitcase before heading out for the evening. When I returned to the room later in the evening I noticed that the A/C unit seemed quite loud. Actually, it was like having a train running through the room all night long. Finally in desperation I turned it off, but then the room was stuffy and uncomfortable. Ok, I understand in older hotels A/C noise can be a problem. After a not great night (in spite of the super comfortable bed!) an early morning swim in a very nice pool seemed like a great way to start my day. What happened next was not so pleasant. When I pulled the shower curtain back to take a shower after my swim, I found dirty towels in the tub! (obviously from the previous occupant) YUCK! Upon check out I mentioned it to the desk clerk who seemed completely disinterested in my comments. I am a loyal Marriott customer and know they can do better. With many other hotel options in the area, I will have to rethink a return stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you were able to enjoy our pool. I wanted to apologize for the inconvenience with the cleanliness of the bathroom and the AC not working properly. We will make sure to address these issues.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Was there for Baseball Hall of Fame Induction-- found everything to be first rate with the exception of the front desk... They were too slow at check in and could not find bill for incidentals when I was checking out-- shuttle service from and to the airport was outstanding-- breakfast was great, dinner not so great. Room was small but comfortable.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kwajkid007
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your review, we are happy that you were happy that you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that you were not pleased with the service upon departure and check in.
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Loved the comfortable beds and pillows. Rooms need updating especially the bathrooms. Our bathroom did not have a fan and the plumbing needed fixing. The bathtub did not hold water and the shower would not stop dripping when the faucet was on. When I turned off the faucet it continued to drip. I told the man standing by the desk on the way out and he wrote all the problems down. The staff were wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Becky63_11
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you taking the time to mention out staff and apologize for the issues you had with your room. I am glad to hear that one of our associates noted your issues and I am sure that they were taken care of for the next guest. Thank you for your courtesy and we hope to see you again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I'd give a 3-1/2 if available, but it didn't deserve a 4. The entire hotel staff in all aspects is top notch, rarely have I found better service and management. However, the hotel is fairly run down, and actually not a very good value. The hotel is hard to find, there's a very small sign on the street (Wolf Rd.), but the hotel is set back from the road, and if you miss the sign, you'll never see the hotel. The hotel doesn't have the feel of a Marriott brand, at least not the one's I've stayed at. The room was very dated. A/C unit old and loud, carpet wearing, bathroom fixtures getting rusty, furniture not worthy of a garage sale. The bed however was very comfortable and restful. Ample, comfortable blankets and pillows

If you're in the area for business, this may be the hotel for you. Otherwise, there are better values in the immediate area.

Room Tip: The sign is very small and easy to miss because the hotel is removed from the road.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate that you shared this information. I am glad to read that you thought our staff was top notch.
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this property last year. Again I have found it to be clean, comfortable, and well managed. The restaurant at first look seemed pricey but the quantity of food on the plate could be easily shared. This is not a resort! While it has the amenities that you would expect from a chain it is the type of hotel for a quick stay while in the area.

• Stayed July 2014
Wayland, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights for a convention in July 2014. We had excellent service both from the front desk and housekeeping. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean and quiet.
We had a problem with something backing up into the bathtub and within 5 minutes of calling at 8 PM someone was there to explain the cause, fix the problem and clean the tub. :) Wireless Internet is available but is not free unless you ask.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear slev415,

Thank you for your review and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Tampa Florida
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I think there is something wrong when Marriott brands don't live up to their hierarchy. I've stayed at many of their more moderately priced hotels that were better than this hotel. At some point they should just tear down the older facilities and build a new one. Hotel lobby was updated and very modern but room hallways didn't seem air conditioned, bathrooms small with instruction stickers on shower handles, beds very soft, AC unit in room looked like old motel type. That being said, the location is close to the airport and staff was very pleasant. Concierge lounge had awesome food and very attentive service. We don't need onsite restaurant - so we'll definitely try a newer property next time in Albany.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cityplaner1234
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear cityplaner1234,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Albany Marriott. we a re happy that you enjoyed service at the Concierge Lounge.