“A Standard Mariott Experience”
Review of Albany Marriott

Albany Marriott
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I booked this hotel for a business visit. The rooms was on Concierge Level giving access to complementary breakfast in the Concierge Lounge. The room was spacious with eclectic interiors.

The service was exceptional. The staff went out of their way to help me print some documents at late in the night.

I am a vegetarian. It was a pleasant surprise to find vegetarian options in the late night service menu. During the morning walk, I had a chance to go around. The only negative point was its proximity to the airport. Food quality was good.

Overall a standard mariott experience with exceptional service quality.

There are newer reviews for Albany Marriott

Reviewed 25 June 2010

I have stayed here many times on business since the early 1990s, but haven't been to this hotel much in the last 5 years because I don't get to Albany much anymore. I like the location and the physical layout of the building. I stayed there on Saturday, June 12, a warm, humid day. The air conditioning in the room would not go below an indicated 68 degrees, which actually felt a lot warmer in the room than that. After a lot of persistence with the front desk I was told that all the rooms are now restricted to temperatures no lower than 68 degrees and no warmer than 72. It was just too warm for the humid conditions on that June night and pretty uncomfortable.

I will try the nearby Desmond again on my next trip to Albany. If the weather doesn't offer an extreme of hot or cold on the day of your stay, then consider this hotel, but if it's going to be pretty hot or cold, try somewhere else. Just because the HVAC unit says "68" or "72", it doesn't mean the room will be that temperature.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2010

This is an average Marriott with average facilities, staff, price and rooms. The rooms were the best bit. Food was good in the restaurant - breakfast and dinner but I noticed dinner was expensive (convenient and good so not complaining). Hotel has a small pool - very cold and could have been cleaner. Bar staff were great. Front desk staff seemed to be too busy to be helpful. What impressed me most was the fact everyone was spending time looking after a nesting duck outside the front door - good for them! Hotel is close to airport and has great restaurants and shopping nearby.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

If you frequently stay at Marriotts and their peers, you pretty much know what to expect. You know that at their Marriott brand hotels they're still going to charge you for internet access in your room. You know you'll have a comfortable bed and pretty much clean rooms.

A couple of features stood out to me. The halls and area around the elevator bank weren't finished as well as I'm used to seeing. It was fresh, but their painter didn't appear to take much care in using a straight edge.

The lobby/bar/seating area was very nice and relatively lively the days I was there.

Why does a healthclub need to close at 11:00? It's not staffed/monitored anyway, so why do they care when I work out?

The climate control in my room wouldn't cool off sufficiently. The only blanket you get is a down comforter and I set the air as far down as it would go. I know I'm fine at 70-72. It wouldn't get cool enough, and it was cold/damp outside.

1  Thank Barry B
Reviewed 17 May 2010

First impressions of the Albany Marriott were favourable: very large room (two double beds) coffee machine, friendly staff...

However my stay was marred by the INCREDIBLY NOISY aircon which woke me up every time it came on during the night. In addition the coffee machine produced the most vile coffee I have ever tasted, infact I'm not sure it was coffee at all.

There were a few things that were good, such as a proper hair dryer and a newspaper on one of the two mornings I was there but other irritants such as the mirror being positioned so high on the wall that when you sit down you can't use it. So hair drying must be done standing up. And 24 hour internet access was $13.95. WHEN are hotels going to stop charging for internet, it's outrageous.

On the whole it was ok but I would have been unhappy if I'd stayed for leisure.

1  Thank Wheeker
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I stayed in the Marriot this past weekend for one night. The parking is ok, a little crowded when there are events. The staff is quite friendly and helpful. The room was quite large, but not as clean as I would have wished. When I first walked into the bathroom I noticed hair in the sink. Faucet was dirty and speckled with toothpaste. The shampoo that hotels provide gratis was clearly used. I called the front desk and a house keeper came up to clean the sink again, when she left, there was still toothpaste on the faucet so I bought cleaner and cleaned it myself. There was also hair in the tub, pretty disgusting.

The bed was quite comfortable and the desk was huge. I was disappointed that we had to pay so much to use the internet, most places I stay provide wireless internet for free. The fitness center was GREAT! Large, plenty of machines, free weights and and a nice pool too. The restaurant was expensive but the hotel is surrounded with reasonably priced places to eat, Olive Garden & Red Lobster are right across the street. The hotel is right down the street from 87 so it is convenient to get to.

I don't know if I would stay here again, I think I would try one of the many other hotels in the area. I hate strange hair, but if you aren't easily skeeved like me, you might like it.

1  Thank taraj65
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Was staying at this hotel for a 2 day convention- ordinarly stay when in Albany at the Courtyard across the street, but the room was part of a meeting discount, and would be getting more Marriott points, so I booked it.

Day one of the convention, left room 7:30am, came back 7:30pm. Loose change I had placed on the bureau holding the TV was gone. Took that in stride, at least until I went to bed.

The bedcover was neat as a pin when I came back, but when I pulled it down to go to sleep, found the sheets had not been straightened out, but had essentially been left unmade under the bedcover.

Reported both to the front desk last day of my stay. "BeBe" was shocked and appropriately chagrinned. However, i supect that this is not the first time such shenanigans had occured.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business