“A wonderful bargain”

Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Albany, New York, USA
“A wonderful bargain”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in early April in my own city (Albany) because I had returned from vacation a week sooner than my wife, but had left my keys on the carpet in California. I needed a place to stay for a couple of nights while my wife Fed-Exed my keys to me, and I didn’t want to be out any more money than necessary. The Red Roof Inn on Wolf Road in Colonie, just outside the Albany city limits and just minutes from the Albany Airport, was perfect. As a walk-in, I paid just under $67 per night (including taxes) for a more-than-adequate room.

My room faced Wolf Road, with a row of trees and a little distance between so that the road noise was not noticeable. This is a better location than the other side, which picks up considerable noise from the Northway motorway. The room was most attractive. The flooring consisted of a light-colored ceramic tile made to look like a hardwood floor. The carpeting was short hair and limited to the bedsides and the entrance. The flooring was warm to bare feet. I really liked this. It is such an improvement over the dark green shag carpet that makes a typical motel room in this class of motels depressing. The room was well lit with ample space for working at one’s laptop or for reading. The room also had a standard plasma flat-screen television. The window in my third-floor room directly above the office looked out on an outside corridor, which means that you must have the curtains drawn for privacy. However I did not encounter or notice another person on this end of the third floor during my entire stay. The room can be accessed by climbing an outside stairwell, which I found refreshing in the brisk air of early April. Of course there is an elevator for those who are so inclined.

There are ample choices for eating on Wolf Road. I liked the diner accessed by turning left from the Inn and going up a block or two (it is on the right), and I also like Macaroni Grill, which is very close to the Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Wolf Road
1 Thank Danny38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Rome NY
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night before taking a flight. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Gentleman at the front desk as very nice. I was able to keep my car there as they have 24 hour free shuttle to the airport and came in handy when my flight got back at 1AM. Would stay again.

1 Thank Sindra
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was the third RRI we stayed at on a recent trip, and the only one with some problems. Overall, it is good, inexpensive lodging. This particular property had some housekeeping issues--no toilet paper, hair in the bathtub, used washcloth on the shower rod. I addressed these upon check-out and received an apology and a discount on the rate. The bathroom in general could also use some work, particularly the bathtub, the enamel on which was chipping. However, I am willing to accept that the housekeeping issues may have been unusual and will be addressed by the management, so I would still recommend this motel. The rooms and the price make it a good choice in the Albany area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank coolbreezeny
Rome
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Reserved a King superior room with fridge and microwave. Microwave did not work. I called front desk about 6:10 p.m. and she said she'd call maintenance. No one ever came. Next morning, I checked the milk and juice in the fridge and it was warm, because refrigerator didn't work either. When I checked out the desk handled my complaints very casually. "Oh we don't have a maintenance person on at night." Well, when I phoned the night before the desk should have told me that so I could have requested a different room. It was a "who cares attitude..."

Room Tip: Check the equipment and amenities before you unpack, or you'll be stuck.
2 Thank Thomas M
Romney, West Virginia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great facilities and even better staff - professional and courteous - nice room layout - everything about our stay was good - will be staying there again and have already recommended it to/for others.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Redroofinn112, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Albany Airport, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to write our property a Trip Advisor post! At Red Roof Inn we pride our self on providing our guests with comfortable, clean and affordable rooms with great service.

It is good to receive the positive feedback. I am always delighted to hear such great things about our hotel and staff. I am glad you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and our staff and myself delighted you doing your stay. We believe in great customer service and affordable prices. I do hope you get a chance to stay with us again when your travel plans bring you to Albany.

We truly thank you again for writing a post about your positive experience at our property! I will be sure to share your words with the staff. We look forward to seeing you in your future travels!

fishs eddy
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Great location and clean rooms.. redone rooms. King size room was nice .frig and microwave.and safe too. Room was on first floor and was noisy. Others customers were very noisy. Also air plane noise was annoying. I like the huge bed and tv. Lights are well located in room also

• Stayed April 2014

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have used this location twice in the past two months once to go to Florida in February and again in March on the way back. This is a no surprise type of motel, close to the highway, but yet very quiet. A main attribute is the proximity to several restaurants. It is not frequent that you can walk to to your restaurant. We had a snow storm in February and had to stay an extra night. The staff was very helpful and the property was cleaned very fast.

Room Tip: The top floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank desjardi40

It is good to receive the positive feedback. I am always delighted to hear such great things about our hotel and staff. We believe in great customer service and affordable prices. I do hope you get a chance to stay with us again when your travel plans bring you to Albany.