“Slipshod housekeeping and no help”

Red Roof Inn Albany Airport
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We stay here because there's no pet charge. We won't be staying here again. We asked for and got an ADA superior king. Here's what we found:
The sink drain was slow
The toilet kept flushing
Fecal matter attached to inside of toilet
No toiletries except 1 bar of new soap and a well-used bar of old soap left in shower
No ironing board or iron as advertised on the room key folder
Luggage rack unstable due to one of the legs being short

Desk clerk said there was no one who could clean. We asked for an adjustment on our rate and he told us that he'd note it but couldn't guarantee we'd get it. He did offer to give us another room, but we'd brought in all our stuff and were very tired--and we hadn't discovered other problems yet.
Irony is that when we stayed in similar room here in October 2013, same thing happened but twist: there was shampoo and new soap and the toilet didn't keep running. However, the light over the sink was out. Someone WAS on duty but came with a 4-ft fluorescent light for a two-foot fixture. Sink came away from wall, same slow drain, and towel bar came away from wall. This in an ADA room!
We were comped on that occasion.
We are not out to scam this company but this is a recurring problem that oddly seems to have arisen after the place was remodeled!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mainelytravels

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was pleasantly surprised in May of 2014 when spending one night here. Well maintained and reasonably up to date for a property in this price range. No breakfast but a Dunkin' Donuts right next door. Room was large and clean, no musty smell as you sometimes get in cheaper hotels. I would stay there again. I also like that you have your own air conditioning/heat unit which you can put on to make some white noise at night, because you are on a busy road.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Rooms are always a great value and the staff is always friendly.....Dunkin Donuts and Olive Garden are within walking distance. Lots of other places to eat right on the main drag. I also noticed they had shuttle service to and from the airport.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve Y
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great place to spend the night. Came here after a friend's wedding to sleep before a flight the next morning. Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, and the service is friendly. A budget friendly place to stay 5 min from the airport.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I just needed a good nights sleep for one night while on business. We were in by 9pm and out by 6am, so I didn't want to pay for anything fancy for just a 9 hour stay. I admittingly was hesitant about a motel, as I usually stay in nicer hotels, but this one surprised me. Decent area, clean rooms, and nicely renovated. Although there was no closet, no hair dryer, and the bathroom was separate from the sink (I hate that!) it was great value for one quick night. What more do you want for $65? The place was booked and I've never seen a motel room with faux laminate wood floors, which was actually nice. You never know how filthy carpets really are, and you could tell with this flooring that it was clean. I would stay again, maybe not as a family or for a week, as it's not ideally set up (hair dryer, bathroom etc) but one night or two, just fine.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in early April in my own city (Albany) because I had returned from vacation a week sooner than my wife, but had left my keys on the carpet in California. I needed a place to stay for a couple of nights while my wife Fed-Exed my keys to me, and I didn’t want to be out any more money than necessary. The Red Roof Inn on Wolf Road in Colonie, just outside the Albany city limits and just minutes from the Albany Airport, was perfect. As a walk-in, I paid just under $67 per night (including taxes) for a more-than-adequate room.

My room faced Wolf Road, with a row of trees and a little distance between so that the road noise was not noticeable. This is a better location than the other side, which picks up considerable noise from the Northway motorway. The room was most attractive. The flooring consisted of a light-colored ceramic tile made to look like a hardwood floor. The carpeting was short hair and limited to the bedsides and the entrance. The flooring was warm to bare feet. I really liked this. It is such an improvement over the dark green shag carpet that makes a typical motel room in this class of motels depressing. The room was well lit with ample space for working at one’s laptop or for reading. The room also had a standard plasma flat-screen television. The window in my third-floor room directly above the office looked out on an outside corridor, which means that you must have the curtains drawn for privacy. However I did not encounter or notice another person on this end of the third floor during my entire stay. The room can be accessed by climbing an outside stairwell, which I found refreshing in the brisk air of early April. Of course there is an elevator for those who are so inclined.

There are ample choices for eating on Wolf Road. I liked the diner accessed by turning left from the Inn and going up a block or two (it is on the right), and I also like Macaroni Grill, which is very close to the Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Wolf Road
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Danny38
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night before taking a flight. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Gentleman at the front desk as very nice. I was able to keep my car there as they have 24 hour free shuttle to the airport and came in handy when my flight got back at 1AM. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo