“Blast your tv to drown out the screams... That is what I thought from the outside.. Thank god I was wrong”

Econo Lodge Colonie Center Mall
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Austin
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

My company is cheap with the hotels so I do not have very many good choices.

I arrived at midnight. For some reason from the parking lot at night the hotel pretty much looks like a movie where you check in and no one ever sees you again.

I was on the first floor and that felt creepy. I opened my room and was so happy. It was clean and spacious. The bathroom had granite counters and nothing was wrong with the place. I still felt a little exposed to the parking lot.

I had to stay there again a few nights later so I requested the same room. I arrived in the day light and the parking lot seemed less of a death trap.

If you are looking for cheap and clean the book this place. Considering some of the other reviews you may request a remodeled room to make sure it is clean.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed in this Econolodge on April 10, Tuesday. This an older motel but room was spacious and bed comfortable. Bathroom was clean with great shower. Motel is 2 stories with several other similar motels nearby. Lots of restaurants in area to pick from up and down the street. Large Colonie Mall about a mile away with Cheesecake Factory. This motel is about 1/2 of what the Quality Inn costs which is just down the street. If you are looking for economy place with decent room, this is OK. Has refrigerator and microwave in room and breakfast seclection is adequate.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Joseph S
New York
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We booked a room with two double beds and a refrigerator. It was comfortably spacious and had a well designed bathroom. The motel is conveniently located with a steak house next door. The only negative was a very cold tile floor in the bathroom/sink areas.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NewYorkBowhunter
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We were getting into town late 11:00PM and leaving really early 7:00AM, so I figured "how bad could it be?". Bought two rooms, one for my daughter and one for me and the wife. Ended up only using one room as the security latches were missing and the other room had a stain on the rug that could have been from a murder (3' in diameter). This place is a dump, pure and simple. Dirty, poorly maintained and in dire need of a renovation. There are plenty of hotels in the area that are only moderately more expensive. It I had a "do over", I would have spent $500 to have stayed somewhere nice.

Room Tip: If you want a nice room, stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2011

spent two nights in Aug 2011. Got nasty bedbug bites. The hotel service did not clean the room, only made the bed and left new towels on the mattress.
did not take away old towels or empty garbage.
breakfast was ok and nice to have. front desk guy was helpful and plesent.

only stayed here because a wedding i was attending had offered free rooms here. would not stay again.

others who stayed in my room or in other rooms in my party did not have bedbug issues, I have reported to hotel to investigate.

Room Tip: main floor
Fort Drum, New York
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We thought that this hotel would be a good stop over before we flew out of Albany. We were wrong. The hotel was in desperate need of repair. The room we were in had peeling wallpaper, water damage on the ceiling, carpet that should have been replaced years ago and tile that needed a good steam cleaning to get the grout clean. The beds were terrible. I read another review that said that they did not feel safe and I will admit I had the same feeling. Yes, there was a bolt and a lock but our door did not shut very well. It was near midnight when we got in and it was the last room available. Upon check out the guy at the front desk asked how our room was and I lied and told him fine. I should have told him the truth which is, They need a major overhaul of this facility because at this point it looks like a death trap.

Levittown, NY
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I checked out the reviews before reserving our room. I was concerned that there were a couple of negative reviews, but the majority were positive. The price was an incentive. We found the room to be neat and clean. The manager and staff were friendly and efficient. We thought we might have left an item in the room, and the manager checked with the housekeeping staff and called us back. (We have since found the item.) The motel allows pets, and sometime we may have to travel with our dog. We liked that there was a 24/7 desk clerk as we often arrive very late. We also liked having a microwave and refrigerator in the room. We appreciated the breakfast, even though it was basic - toast, cereal, muffins, bagels, juice, coffee and tea. Some people may not like the one flat pillow, I myself prefer two fluffy ones; or the super water conscious shower spray, but on the whole we really liked the accomodations and the treatment by the staff and look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: We had a room to the left of the lobby facing the parking lot, we had no trouble with noise. The ice...