“A Great Value in the Albany, New York area”

Econo Lodge Colonie Center Mall
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am a frequent visitor to the Albany area and have found the Econ Lodge Colonie Center Mall to be conveniently located, modestly priced and staffed with friendly, helpful and professional personnel from the management to the line and front desk staff. The rooms are always clean and well-maintained and on any occasion where something needed to be tended to, it was taken care of at once. I have stayed there numerous times and it is high time I paid them the compliments they deserve. I'll see you all on my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I was skeptical of booking a room here, but the TA reviews got me to try it and it was worth it. The room was large and clean, SD TV, average bathroom, and the shower was a gusher. The breakfast was nothing special, all bread-based (toast, muffins, donuts, danishes, cereals) and nothing hot except for the coffee. I would normally give this 3 stars, but for $50/night, I had to add a star. It is an Econolodge so don't expect too much, but it isn't much different from the Quality Inn next door that is $80/night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The Econo Lodge Colonie Center Mall is a bargain! The room I had was very well updated (well -- for a Econo Lodge that is). It had some nice appointments like granite counter and a updated bathroom. The updates were nice, although you can definitely tell you're still at an Econo Lodge. Some of the floor tiles were loose, and you could actually pick one up off the floor. The motel itself is decent, although it does look a bit shady from the outside. The employees I had come in contact with were nice enough. It's also located really close to the Colonie Center which was very convenient.

Overall, it's a good place to stay if you are looking to do it on the cheap. It was safe, relatively clean and well appointed (from what I understand there are some older rooms which I haven't seen personally but I've heard bad things). So, if you want to save money on a place to stay but don't want to compromise your safety like some other motels in this price range, than this is definitely the motel for you!

Room Tip: Make sure to request an updated room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2013

On my way back from Georgia to Québec, Canada, I do stop in that hotel at least once a year maybe twice. I like it, it is clean, close to highway and prices very affordable. The breakfast is OK, not very abundant in choice but OK . The staff is very courteous and friendly. Overall, I like the place and will be there again in 2014.

Room Tip: Al rooms look OK to me.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed here for one night while our daughter was running a marathon. We chose this motel because it was in the right location. For an Econo Lodge we were pleasantly surprised. The room was large and had everything we needed. The breakfast was much better than expected with a nice breakfast area. This motel had clearly been a higher level property in a previous life and while the room was dated for one night it was more than adequate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We just needed a place for the night -- and this more than filled the bill. The room was big, on the top floor as we requested, check in speedy, we had a fridge and microwave (which we didnt need/use, but nice that they're there for longer stays), bed was comfortable, room appointments were updated, breakfast was fine (bagels, muffins, donuts, danish, cereal, juice, coffee), and the lobby breakfast room was bright, sunny, clean and pleasant. And the manager (I assume he was..) asked as I was leaving if everything had been OK (something a lot of places don't bother to do). This for $55 (with my AAA discount)? C'mon, how could anyone complain? And it was well located and easy to get to off the main highways. As others have said, for a budget stay you can't do much better.

Room Tip: We like upper floor so no noise from above
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel is a nice simple place. The rooms aren't fancy but are nice, especially for the very low cost. The beds are comfortable (at least for a long-weekend length stay). Even if the decor may be a bit dated or old-school hotel looking everything (counters, sheets, towels, blankets, table) has always been clean.
The hotel has just recently bought a new wireless system with repeaters. The front desk staff was very knowledgeable when we had trouble getting connected with it at first. After that we could connect most of the time. When we couldn't we weren't sure if it was a connection, device, or bandwidth issue. Always had 1-2 bars.
We always enjoy the breakfast. There's basic bread, bagels, cream cheese, english muffins, butter, jelly, doughnuts, muffins, 2-3 cereals, milk, OJ, coffee, and tea. There's 2 toasters and a microwave so multiple people can prep what they want at once. The breakfast materials is our from 6-9 and the staff is great about keeping everything stocked throughout the entire time.
The location is fantastic. It's easy to get to off of 87 and is right near the Colonie Center Mall and all of Wolf Road. This gives lots of options for meals and shopping. There's several gas stations, that aren't over priced for the area, between the hotel and the highway too.
The other point I'd like to make is about the staff, who are very kind and helpful. The main gentleman, Bob, is always happy, smiling, and courteous.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple