“Close to Times Union and highways”

Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Albany
ct
“Close to Times Union and highways”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for Paul McCartney concert at Times Union, which was fantastic! This is my first time staying at a Holiday Inn Express. The location is close (approx 6 minute walk) to Times Union, but the abandoned building next door is quite a turn off. My biggest gripe was that I booked this room 2 months prior, nervous there wouldn't be a room available with Sir Paul in town. Since I booked early, I did not expect to get a room across from the elevator and a view of the freeway. The room was clean, a little small, toilet seat wobbly but I was surprised that at the price I paid there was no refrigerator or microwave in the room! That was surprising! With that said advantages: 6 min walk to times union, close to downtown attractions in general, breakfast was adequate, there is a pool, room was clean. Disadvantages: close to blight, 90 parking spaces 135 rooms (does that make sense?), wobbly seat, no refrigerator, no micro.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from freeway if car noise is an issue
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear cthonesttraveler,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving feedback about our hotel. I am truly delighted you found our rooms clean and breakfast adequate. However, I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the issues encountered with the toilet and parking space. Rest assured, your review will be forwarded to management to consider for upgrades needed. I appreciate you letting us know about these unsatisfactory circumstances as this is our best means of improving our efforts.

Charisse V
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for one night when we were traveling across the East coast. The staff was very friendly. The room was clean with a comfortable bed, however the building is old and musty. It was a 5-10 minutes walk to some unique buildings but with one or two wrong turns, we felt like we were in a very uncertain neighborhood. The free breakfast was ok, nothing special. It is lacking of surrounding restaurants and we had to drive to find some dinner. If you need a convenient location for a one night stay it is ok, but wouldn't suggest staying otherwise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carol R, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Kyle C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience here at the hotel. Please note that we do also offer a complimentary shuttle to our guests that can take you to and from local area restaurants, it is based upon availability.

We do pride ourselves on our staff, it is one of our most complimented areas in the hotel.

Safe and happy travels~
Carol Robinson
Director of Sales
Encinitas, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

The best part of the 4-day stay was Brittany at the front desk. Super friendly and helpful. The room was clean - nice sheets and towels. But the location (between the bus depot and the freeway) left little to be desired. It's listed as convenient - true - you can get on the freeway to go anywhere - and you should. This is not the neighborhood to be walking in at night or on a weekend when there are very few people around. My biggest issue was the ipod dock/alarm clock which for some reason was set to go off every day at 7:30 am. I'm pretty tech-minded but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to disarm the alarm so finally just unplugged it. Typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast. Why they charge you $20 for parking is beyond me - that should be standard with hotels like this. Never did use the pool although I saw lots of people in it. Indoor pools just don't do it for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway, as high up as possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear SoCalEncinitas,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am delighted to hear that you found our room clean and I am particularly appreciative of your comment about our front desk staff. It is always hugely motivating on our end to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you.

I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied by the in- room amenity. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again here in Albany.

Best Regards,

John O
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Located in downtown Albany right next to the Greyhound terminal, I found this a nice place to stay, but...

A charge of $5 plus tax was attached to my bill for self-parking outside the reception area under a canopy. The lobby was smallish, with no place to sit. My room was okay, but the window looked out on a Interstate ramp and nothing else. Noises were muted, but still, the outside scene was disconcerting. A free breakfast buffet was good consisting of eggs, bacon, sausage and plenty of donuts.

A major negative of this motel was there was no fridge as is common in most facilities. You had to rent a portable one, but the four days I as there, none were available. Good-bye to keeping insulin chilled or sodas cool.

All together, it was an adequate place to stay in downtown Albany, but...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Other reviewers have touched on what might turn off some travelers about this hotel -- a charm-free location in the shadow of the urban spaghetti of elevated highways, and a chlorine-y smell pervading the lobby area from the adjacent pool. But if you can look beyond these issues, the Holiday Inn Express is really a lovely little spot that does what it does very well, we found. The location is convenient. We were staying overnight for a road race, and found it easy to walk everywhere we needed to -- restaurants, the race, downtown attractions, etc. Our rooms were very comfortable, spacious, perfectly clean, and included everything we might need. Breakfast was ample and tasty. And best of all, to my mind, the front desk staff was good-natured, helpful, and friendly. For instance, we needed a last-minute adjustment of our rooms, and they quickly accommodated us with a room switch. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Buffalo, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I found the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Albany to be a good find for an overnight or two, its location is close to all downtown restaurants, Amtrak, and the sports arena. The staff were all friendly and attentive. The room was clean and reasonably updated for the price. I found the shuttle very helpful, they allow up to a five mile destination, Sal my driver was very courteous and helpful in this regard. Overall an excellent experience and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel for a graduation weekend. The location was very convenient, right off the highway and walking distance to the Times Union Center. The staff was very nice and helpful, rooms were clean and spacious with a nice size bathroom. There is a pool right off the lobby with a severe chlorine smell that seems to permeate through the entire hotel. There is no bar or restaurant, but a complementary basic breakfast is provided. Plenty of parking provided for a small fee.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get away from the chlorine smell....it was still pretty strong on the seco...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Maryleb0ne,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for leaving a review of the property. I am delighted to hear that the hotel's location is very convenient for your needs and that you found our rooms and hotel staff highly commendable.

On the other hand, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the chlorine smell may have caused you. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you and we hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the Albany.

Best Regards,