“So so ...”

Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night ... Upon checking in we had an employee eating pizza our of box on the counter ... Front desk didn't tell employee to get lost and find a break room or something. Hotel room stank of cigarette ... Had to sleep with window open to get smell out ... Got noise from street ... Breakfast in morning was whatever ...

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank girlwithcurlz
Carol R, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear girlwithcurlz,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying with us. Please know that since we have read your review we have already addressed this issue with our staff that eating at the Front Desk in unacceptable. You are correct they should be out of guests view when they are having their meal break.

We have also brought your concern of cigarette smoke smell in our guest rooms to the attention of our housekeeping stay. They need to be more diligent on ensuring that our non smoking rooms smell that way.

It is only through our guests honest feedback that we find ways of improving our service. They next time you need to stay in Albany we hope that you will stay with us to see how your review has helped us to serve you and other guests better in the future.

Safe and happy travels~
Carol Robinson
Director of Sales

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Picked this location due to its free shuttle from Amtrak and airport. As soon as i called for the transportation I was advised it would be a bit of a wait due to traffic, which we didn't mind. Not much of a wait as he was there in 5 minutes to pick us up! Driver was friendly (can't remember his name) As we arrived greeted by miss Brittany who truly was a breath of fresh air. Gave us great dinner recommendations, area attractions and even told us the shuttle could bring us to dinner and back! WOW They were having some issues with the sauna and steam room but staff went above and beyond to accommodate us. Rooms were average could use a few updates, breakfast was great my children really enjoyed the pancake machine. Overall we really enjoyed out time here.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Dee E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Greetings and thanks for sharing your review of our hotel.

We are glad we were able to accommodate your shuttle needs and that breakfast was to your liking. Brittany is our food expert and knows all the best spots for great dining in downtown.

Our sauna and steamroom will be back in order soon and hope your travel plans bring you and your family back to our area.

We wish you happy and safe travels!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My daughter attends Word of Life camp on Schroon Lake , NY I was looking for a hotel where
I could stay for one night because we were traveling home on the train after she was dropped off to me. I picked the
Holiday Inn Express because it had complimentary transfer to and from the train station. This was
a great savings as a cab ride was $15.00 each way.
I was also traveling with my 7 year old daughter and wanted a pool. We took the mega bus into
Albany. I called the Holiday Inn and within 10 Minutes they were at the train station picking us up.

We checked into the hotel and within a few minutes we were in our room.
The room had a king bed that was soft. Bathroom was clean and had Bath and Body works products as well as coffee maker.

The front desk gave us a map of the areas to see in Albany. When we went to dinner the hotel offered a radius around them that also was complimentary transfers. We had dinner at a Chinese restaurant. It was amazing:)
After dinner we enjoyed the pool and Jacuzzi at the hotel
The next morning a complimentary breakfast. It wasn't a brunch buffet but had coffee, bagels and was perfect for my daughter and I.
Can't remember the manager or the girl working at the front desk but they were amazing.
The driver of the van was also amazing as he gave us a lot of history of Albany! Great work everyone!!!

I would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ogb

Greetings Ogb!

Thanks so much for your review. We get a lot of families over the summer that are looking for a stopover as they head to the Adirondack mountains and New Yorks many beautiful lake communities.
Our team members are happy to accommodate any request and needs of your family. We are glad you were able to use the various amenities our hotel has to offer.
On your next visit the local museum, farms, lake tours and amusement parks are all fun and family friendly attractions worth checking out.
With the many choices in lodging, thank you sharing your vacation with us.
Happy & safe travels!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I needed to stay in Albany after working in the area. I'm not a big downtown fan in any city but the price was one of the best in the area. Upon entering I was kindly received by Rose. While checking in I asked about food delivery and Brittany jumped into the conversation and was very helpful with her suggestions. Jeff the maintenance man was also there working on something. They all seemed like they enjoyed their jobs. As a platinum member I asked for an upgrade and Rose put me into a suite with a Jacuzzi. The only downside to the upgrade was the room was right next to the interstate. I mean right next to! If I opened the shades everyone driving by would see me as the interstate was at the same level as the window on the 3rd floor. Overall the hotel was ok. The carpet in my room had stains on it. I slept alright but the traffic noise was very loud so I used ear plugs which I never do. I would suggest you ask for a room as far away from the interstate as possible.

Room Tip: I was in room 331 which is near the interstate
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Dee E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hi PaulP!

I will definitely share you review with our team members that you mentioned. ALSO Thank you for being a Loyal Platinum IHG Rewards member. I'm glad that an upgrade was available to you but sorry that the noise was an issue. We've done our best to sound proof the windows but it can be a challenge. As for the room we appreciate the feedback.

We do have some corner rooms that are a little bigger and off the highway, just let us know upon arrival or at time of reservation and we'll do our best to accommodate your needs.

As always we wish you happy and safe travels!
~D~

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here in August, 2014 for one night, in town for a concert. Experience was completely positive: the hotel is easy to find, located just off I-787. Check in was a breeze; the room was spotless and comfortable. Used the indoor pool and whirlpool which were both great, although the room itself is humid. I consider the hotel very reasonably priced all things considered.

As we were attending a concert, we didn't use the shuttle, but the front desk staff offered us a ride pretty much to any restaurant we wanted to go to, which I thought was great. Overall I'd definitely come back to the Holiday Inn Express if I'm in Albany again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RobKennedy70

Hi RobKennedy70!

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit in Albany. The Times Union Center has a great line up of concerts and events this year along with the Palace Theatre so come on back.
Next visit if you'd like the shuttle let us know at check in and we'll get you as close to the TUC as possible.
We wish you happy and safe travels!
~D~

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My Husband and I were married and traveled 3 hours to stop at this hotel on the way to our honeymoon destination. the room was beautiful, and the complimentary breakfast was so great, My only complaints are - the smoke free room we were given was full of smoke. So that took a little getting used to, and the location wasnt the best.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dee E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Greetings Sarrahkathryn,

Congratulations on your marriage and we are thrilled that we had an opportunity to have you as our guests as you two start your life journey together.
When guests smoke in nonsmoking areas it does pose a challenge and we are focused on finding a solution to that issue. I apologize that this impacted your stay and would like an opportunity to host you guys on your return trip.
Thanks for taking the time to write a review, we wish you Happy and Safe travels!

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for one night with my family - parents with my 2 sisters. Nice place to stay and staff members are very helpful. They are always willing to answer queries. The hotel has a huge empty space in the middle of lobby...not sure what it is for...by the way, we also enjoyed the pool and hot pool.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Greetings Duquesa413,

Thank you for your review, our team members are here to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and we like to assist in any way that we can.
I am happy that your family had time to enjoy the amenties that the hotel has to offer.
We hope to host you again on any return trip to our area.

Happy and Safe travels!