“Blech.”

Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Albany
New York, NY
“Blech.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

I was in Albany for a work trip and decided to pick this hotel because it was close to where I needed to be for work and I got a good price through the United website. I typically choose Hampton Inns for my work trips but figured I would give this hotel a shot.

The hotel itself is in a good location (right off the highway and near SUNY Albany and some restaurants) and the lobby is in pretty good shape. They gave me a few menus when I checked in which I always appreciate and were friendly enough.

The room is not great. It seems pretty old and the bathroom was dingy. The shower definitely needed a good scrubbing and when I went to grab a towel after showering, I saw a nice black curly hair sitting right on the top of the towel. Blech. The bed was not very comfortable and the blankets are super thin so it can get really cold in the middle of the night.

I went to the gym, which was basically just a hotel room with a few machines in it. There were towels left all over the floor and none of the tvs on the machines connected to headphones properly.

Breakfast in the morning was fine, nothing special. I was really surprised to see such great reviews for this hotel so maybe I had a one-off experience here. Regardless though, I will be sticking to the Hampton Inn from now on.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank mgott26
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to expectations. I can understand how frustrating it must be to try a new hotel after reading many positive reviews only to end up disappointed. We take the cleanliness and upkeep of our hotel very seriously and I will be sure to follow through with our team members to make sure that future guests do not have a similar experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed here for two weeks. Its just off Interstate so if you are traveling out of Albany its a good location. But other than Dunkin donuts there is pretty much nothing around. You have to drive about 4-5 miles for anything that you would need! The place is decent and recently the prices have increased quite sharply! One thing that bothered me was the bright light in the parking lot. If you are on any of the floors facing the parking lot, you will not be able to sleep as the curtains cant be drawn to prevent the bright light from entering your room. I woke up multiple times during the stay thinking its dawn already..but it were just the bright lights. Other than that nothing much to write about. Value for money....paid $135 per night (including taxes), complimentary buffet, and free wifi. No refrigerator or microwave in the room!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have too much light from the parking lot into your bedroom...so avoid these!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ptat14
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
I appreciate your taking the time to review your stay at out hotel.

I am sorry to read that you were bothered by our parking lot lights while you were at our hotel. All of our guestrooms are appointed with blackout curtains in addition to the decorative curtains (which are fixed in the "open" position) and the sheers. Because these curtains are located nearest the window they may not have been apparent. In the past we have left the blackout curtains covering about half of the available window but as a result of recent feedback we have closed them further, leaving about a quarter of the window visible. I hope that this will prevent future guests from feeling a similar frustration.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

I had reserved one room on a recent trip to Albany, but ended up needing an additional room for our two daughters. No problem, the desk clerk working the early evening shift on 3/21 went out of his way to be helpful. He placed us near each other and made us feel welcome and actually gave us a better rate for each room than what I had received on the initial internet booking. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The only drawback came in the fact that there was no mini refrigerator in our king room, but we used the one the one in the other room, so no big deal. The indoor pool was immaculate, but unfortunately the hot tub was closed. I've stayed in most of the hotels on Washington St. near SUNY, and for the money, this one was worth the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your kind words. We hope to add refrigerators to all of our rooms in an upcoming renovation but I am happy to hear that at least one of your rooms had one for this stay.

We hope to see you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

We were comfortable at this hotel. It wasn't spotless but it wasn't dirty either. The rooms were decent and they accommodated us with any special requests. When we couldn't get into our room due to the key card devise not working they were very nice and relatively quick to remedy the situation. The pool is kept surprisingly clean as well. We were there for several days on our stay and the only issue we could find is the coffee is not good. We had to go to Dunkin Donuts each morning for coffee. All in all, I can't complain otherwise and we will use them again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear about the challenge that you encountered with your keys but am happy to hear that it was rectified to your satisfaction.

I am also sorry to hear that our coffee did not meet your expectations. While this is not a common issue that I hear about, I will be sure to investigate to see if there is an opportunity to improve our coffee service. I am glad to hear that the Dunkin Donuts down the street was able to meet your needs during this stay.

We are happy to hear that you will be back. We look forward to your next visit!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I feel very badly writing a poor review, and indeed rarely do so. I am hoping this is just a one-off experience at this hotel: But our recent stay at the Fairfield Inn was most disappointing. It is a drab, dirty property in need of urgent refurbishment.
First the good points: all the staff were very friendly, from Matt who checked us in to the breakfast and housekeeping staff.
But, I was stunned by the condition of the hotel. We stay in Fairfields quite frequently and this one certainly does not measure up. It is a 2-star property at best.
There is no automatic entry door to the lobby (this would be difficult for anyone in need of accessibility); and the entry carpet was filthy.
The hallway carpet on our floor wasn't much better. Crumbs and dust everywhere. It is as though it had not been vacuumed for years. Our room also was very dusty. The bathroom in our room needs to be refurbished. There was a big, ugly dark stain in the bathtub, the area around the sink was all chipped, the floor was stained and chipped, and there was yellow residue/staining on the bathroom. The bed was too soft and a bit lumpy, a strong perfumed spray had been sprayed in the room - it was not good for allergies! The complementary breakfast was at best mediocre.
I understand that Fairfields are the lowest rung of Marriotts, but I have never been in one in such run-down shape. I feel very badly writing such a poor review.

1 Thank explore with more
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I appreciate your candor in your assesment of our hotel. We have a renovation planned for the near future that I believe will adress the issues that you mentioned, including the addition of automatic doors. We will also be upgrading our breakfast to include both scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, sausage and fresh cut fruit.

I also appreciate your kind words about our team members. We strive to provide service that makes you feel welcome. I hope that our hotel accommodations make a second impression that matches our service if we have the opportunity to see you again after our renovation.

If you have the time to contact me at the hotel, I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. -- Chris Devaney, General Manager
Eddington, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Pretty average motel Fairfield Inn, nothing special, but nice comfortable bed and room. Breakfast adequate, pool looked clean, hot tub not operational (looks like has been out of service for a while. We did get a very good rate on Priceline, so it was worth the stay for an overnight sleep/stay.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. We have a number of changes afoot in the upcoming months that will hopefully make your next stay even more enjoyable.

Regarding our hot tub: There have been changes in the regulations that relate to hotel pools and hot tubs. While we will be able to make the changes necessary for our pool to remain in operation, our hot tub is being removed. We hope to move our fitness room to that location as part of a planned renovation.
Langhorne, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

The hotel is right across a street from SUNY (as are a few other hotels on Washington Avenue). It appears to be fairly new and is quite fine for a short stay in the area.
It has a very small work out room, but SUNY has a 5k track around it's perimeter that makes a great run.
The hotel is very convenient to downtown Albany (10-12 minutes) and Schenectady.
Adequate hot self-service breakfast area.
Very nice staff. Everyone I met was quite helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Really enjoyed Albany Pump Station for their own beers and food. Burgers are HUGE!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am happy to hear that it met your travel needs -- and that you were able to enjoy The Pump Station! We hope to see you again soon.