“No clerk for checking-in - Couldn't go”

Extended Stay America - Albany - SUNY
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Long story short: we got a room at this hotel through priceline. We arrived at 6:50 p.m. for our checking in. Nobody was at the front desk from the hotel. There was another man waiting there, and he said he had been waiting since 6:30 p.m. trying to find somebody for checking in and was on hold on the phone with their head offices who concurred that nobody was there for checking in.

We waited until 7:50 p.m. approximately (so a full hour since our arrival at first), and nobody had come back or arrived to do the checking ins.

We called priceline, they also confirmed that they were unable to reach anybody from the hotel using two different phone numbers, so priceline gave us a new hotel and we left.

End of story. You reserve a room, arrive during the checking in period, but you can't check in and you never get your room. If you feel like paying for a room that you'll never see, this place is for you.

Room Tip: Do not choose any rooms; you won't get it because you can't check in.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Philippe C

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not clean. You stick to the floors, the carpets in the hallway need to be vacuumed, my room was not clean ....I have posted pics it might make you sick.Not sure if this place ever gets clean but you shouldn't stick to the floor when you walk on it. The sheets should not have stains. The dishes should not be dirty as well as the counter tops. The air conditioning unit is filthy! !!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Joy M
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Not a place I would recommend, tried to check in at 7:30 no one at the desk. The phone they had would not dial zero. Finally when he should up he had to check if my room was even clean at 7:30 in the evening. He ran down the hallway to see if it was clean.(later on I saw him helping housekeeping clean). The carpets in the lobby and through out the building needed to be vacuumed and it smells in the hotel itself. You do not feel comfortable not an inviting place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Joy M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

It was OK and I would stay there again. We have three little dogs so it is hard to find a place to stay. This place was not bad. The front desk was very helpful with any problems that we had, and we did have problems, like the room we booked was not available. They worked with us. I have stayed in better places but you have to remember when you travel with your dogs it is hard to find a decent place to stay, and this place was decent and they do work with you. If you are traveling alone, there are better places to stay. They are friendly though.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2014

If I go to Saratoga during August, I usually end up booking last minute. The friends I go with often stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Western Ave., which is really a top notch place. Last August (2013) I made a last minute reservation and figured I'd try to save a few bucks while staying at a decent place. The Extended Stay American - Albany - SUNY - isn't far from Western Ave., and it was getting 4 out 5 in Trip Advisor reviews. Once I completed my stay there, however, I could not figure out why it would be rated so highly.

The room I was assigned to was close to an exit and echoed when people tromped up the stairway next to it. The room had an overwhelming smell of mold and mildew. I asked whether I could move rooms. While the front desk people could not have been nicer, they also said the hotel was full and that I couldn't move. The person at the front desk was kind enough to give me a giant container of Febreze to try and neutralize the smell. Unfortunately, it did not work. And the smell stayed the entire weekend. I just figured I'd deal with it since I was spending most of the day outside the room, and finding another similarly-priced hotel on short notice would be pretty difficult.

There were entrance ways to the hotel from different parts of its parking lot, but I chose only to go in the front entrance and park as close to the front entrance as I could. The lighting in the back parking lot was either not functioning well or no-existent, and I didn't feel like jeopardizing my safety just for the sake of getting a good spot.

The architecture of this place makes it look like it was converted over from a garden apartment complex. Its just not that nice looking.

I've stayed at other Extended Stay America properties that were much cleaner, more modern and priced reasonably. Again, the front desk people were very nice, but next time I'm in Albany, I'll probably spend a few more dollars to get a better place to stay.

Room Tip: Definitely don't get a room near a stairway. Maybe upstairs rooms are better?
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank HSide
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a place for grownups. Prior to checkin I read a negative review from someone complaining that they had to take old towels to the front desk when they wanted fresh ones. Really? Cause that's less work than you'd do at home, right? At home if you wanted fresh towels they wouldn't magically appear while you're out, right? And if you don't like the Grab and Go Breakfast, then don't eat it, cause you've got your own kitchen and you can make bacon and eggs or whatever you want. If you are a grownup and you've been on the road for a while, or if you just like having a kitchen in the room and a laundry area in the building, you'll like this place. If you can't act like a grownup and want to complain that someone else isn't picking up after you 24/7, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2014

It is a nice hotel. Always nice greetings at front desk, pleasant people, nice location, reasonable price, quiet environment. However, rooms a bit congested and bathrooms not well maintained. Only a couple of parking at the front but plenty of parking space on the sides and back.

Room Tip: I feel comfort with higher a floor room