“Perfect economical option”

Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect economical option”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Early August is when college tour season kicks into high gear. My son and I decided to visit a few schools in upstate NY and needed a home base. I looked at hotels in Schenectady but decided, based on hotel and tripadvisor sites, to go with this one in Albany. I paid a bit more but it was worth it. Staff was helpful and the room and pool area were clean. The breakfast room is too small (there were lots of Saratoga racing fans in town) but that was the only area I found lacking during my stay. The location was great! Malls, restaurants and easy highway access. As a MA resident, I was THRILLED to Dunkin Donuts just next door. Will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Long Island, Ny
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel itself not bad, service was fine - room was clean but small - had a queen bed only - husband not thrilled with the 4 12" pillows on the bed instead of regular ones but I think that's becoming more common now (not sure why, cleaning??). I wouldn't rave about the hotel but not complain either, breakfast was adequate and free. I would stay here again, depending on circumstances and price - no real problems, just not "wowed".

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Mohawk, New York, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Spent sometime here for work...clean..But the beds are brutal...the have a decent breakfast if your a breakfast person. Does have refrigerators and microwaves in every room which is a plus....but truly..they need new beds!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Pelham, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I will get by the petty talk about a small room first. Yes the room was small but we where not at some resort and we did not spend much time in our room, so it was perfect for our needs for this trip. The room was small but clean and that was our main concern.

If you have ever been to Saratoga when the track is open you know how hotels in and around Saratoga rip you off so staying here just 20 minutes away is well worth it. It was located right near the Northway so getting to Saratoga was easy. I never give a hotel a perfect rating but this was as close to perfect for this trip. The breakfast was the typical hotel continental breakfast, with the only draw back being the small breakfast area.

The front desk was responsive to all our requests and helpful with directions and the manager Sandy was easy to work with.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Largo, Maryland
Reviewed 14 August 2013

On August 11, 2012, I was traveling with a friend and we stayed at the Quality Inn Central. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. The hotel was located near fast food locations which was nice. I was in Albany to visit the State Capitol. I would recommend this hotel to you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank J T
Marie K, Director of Sales at Quality Inn Central, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Albany NY hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back the next time you are in town.
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at this hotel in early August 2013 while sightseeing in Albany. To try to get more space, we booked a room with a king-sized bed. Upon arrival, we were surprised to find that a king-sized bed had been put into a (smallish) standard room leaving us very little space to store our luggage and to move around. A small portable closet reduced the floor space even more (although it could only hold a couple of days' clothes).

Where we were rally disappointed, though, was the first evening when we realized that a busload of children had arrived. The rooms directly across from us each contained a number of 10 to 13 year-olds who were determined to stay up all night yelling and banging doors! Neither of these rooms had adult chaperones (although our reservation confirmation stated that at least one person over the age of 21 had to be in each room). After calling the front desk three times regarding the noise, things finally settled down after 1:00 a.m.. When I mentioned the problem at the front desk the next morning, I was told that this group of young people were booked into 23 rooms!

I must say that I was impressed with the general manager who called me later that day to offer a sincere apology and a $25 gift certificate at a local restaurant for our trouble.

While the second night was quiet enough, our final night was again spoiled by another bus group (this time of older horse race aficionados) who also seemed to like to drink, yell and bang doors. Again, I had to call the front desk a number of times before things eventually got quieter around 3:00 a.m..

I hate to gripe about such things (as they may have been isolated incidents) but these problems highlighted the ease with which noise travels in this hotel and its very loud room doors. Also, better supervision by the front desk staff at night could have prevented the place from turning into party central.

I had a hard time deciding whether to give this hotel a 2 or 3-dot rating. In addition to the problems above, the breakfast area is not large enough to handle the crowd (especially when the buses arrive and everyone wants to cook a waffle). On the other hand, our room, while smallish, was reasonably clean and the bed was comfortable.

What moved me from a 2-dot rating (poor) to 3 dots (average) was the effort that the general manager made when she realized that our stay had been spoiled by some noisy yahoos. My final thought upon checking out, though, was that I was very glad that I had been there while on a holiday and not on a business trip where I would be expected to work all day following the nights I described above.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, but I would ask questions about groups that might be booked in at the same time. If a big group is expected, try somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

The receptionist at checkin wasn't overly friendly and gave us bad directions but pretty much everyone else went above and beyond especially Marietta who went above her call to help us deal with the local bus company. Breakfast attendant slightly rude but whatever. Pool and hot tub decent. Room above adequate. Rates extremely fair. Best hotel in area

• Stayed July 2013