“check in was the fun part”

Dollinger's Motor Inn
Dollinger's Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albion
clio, Michigan
“check in was the fun part”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

When kayaking the canal and needing an overnight we found this place. Nobody in the office. Had to call the other Dollingers to check in. Found the self check in like following instructions to get into a speakeasy, (psst on the downlow) which was kind of fun. We found the room well maintained and comparible to a chain we'd spent the four previous nights at by Buffalo airport. I'm heading back to continue paddling the canal in August and hope to stay again.

Room Tip: no restaurant or fit cent
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank drubbler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 September 2012

There are actually 2 hotels with similar names, owned by the same people. The check in is at the main location, which was just down the street. The hotel was a "strip" type hotel, single story. Even though it was just off the main street through town, it was very quiet and peaceful. The room was comfortable and fairly spacious. Shower flow was good. I don't remember how much we paid (reading the other reviews sounded much higher than we paid!), but it was reasonable to other hotels we found. Would recommend checking them out.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnandJana
Freeport, Maine
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This place is kind of cute and pretty clean, although it is a bit outdated and pricey ($60 bucks a night would seem more reasonable than the $80 they charged). The mattress, towels, and linens were all newer and it was a good sized room. And while they did waive the pet fee for me, which I thought was awesome, they were not very willing to give me a discount when the internet (which I needed for work) and TV were not working, and never did refund the tiny amount that they said they would. They would not even give me a refund for my prepaid nights so that I could go to different hotel. Instead they transferred me to another one of their motels in the next town over. Even though the internet worked at this place (Dollinger Courtyard Hotel in Medina), it was really horrible (see reviews) and I ended up coming back to the Motor Inn in Albion where they had fixed the internet in the meantime. Overall, it was clean and cozy but was also one of the most difficult times I've had with lodging, inconvenience and customer satisfaction in a lifetime of traveling. There is also a large correctional facility (jail) right down the road (which maybe explains the strange cameras in front of the motor inn office?) and there was a constant sound of large motored, back-up beeping trucks behind the motor inn all night. I wish I had just stayed in Lockport and will do so in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank BurlyBird
Upstate NY
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My friends had always stayed here for one particular dog show (and had raved about it!) and I had not - now I wonder why I waited so long- from the moment I checked in, I felt welcome . the room for 'just me' had 2 double beds and one twin - with a very nice decor. Bathroom was nice size for me - as someone else said, there is a huge green lawn out front, very quiet, with a TOPS market next door. Great customer service including nice tv - my only complaint is that I did not know to request a room close to the office - wifi does not reach the outlying rooms. The manager/owner did suggest I could come down to the office if I wanted to connect with the internet. They also have DVDs to rent if you want some entertainment and have your computer. I did not avail myself of the continental breakfast but fast food restaurants were close by (we dog show people leave very early in the morning!).
All in all, a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Pemcorgi
buffalo
Reviewed 24 May 2011

When complained of no towels, no clean room. Dorothy was on our side gave refund of 27.00 for 110.00 a night motel. Which we stayed 2 nights. But today got a VERY nasty message from Glenda and they took back refund and added a 1.00 and stated it was our fault for not asking for towels at 11pm at night, and accused me of somking in a room. Everything got turned to our responsibility, if you had better customer service the towels should be there without me asking.... people take showers!

Only can say BBB...

Never recommend this place....

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank customer216
ddaniels68, Owner at Dollinger's Motor Inn, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
When the guest complained that their room was never serviced, I (Joyce, not Dorothy) issued a refund of $27.00 along with my apology. When mentioning this error to Glenda, she informed me that the guest denied service after receiving towels and extra pillows. I am assuming that the two guests in the room did not communicate with each. My mistake was issuing a credit prior to verifying the complaint with my staff. Sometimes, miscommunication interferes with quality customer service. For that, I apologize and will continually work on improving our methods of communication.

Travellers are raving about these Albion hotels

Rochester, NY
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I was biking the Erie Canal with my young son, and needed a place to stay in or near Albion. Looking at the net, I saw that there was pretty much only one option - Dollinger's. I was a little dubious, because their website had expired, I couldn't find any reviews, etc.

We arrived in the late afternoon, and I was even less enthused - the parking lot was full of rust bucket cars, and the motel looked worn around the edges. Nonetheless, we checked in and went to our room.

And then I was very pleasantly surprised.

The room was very clean inside, and well maintained. It looks like the window frames, etc. has been recently repainted. The beds were firm, the linens clean, and the furniture was in good shape.

Some of the wallpaper was peeling ( very slightly ) in the bathroom, and the tub's stopper leaked water, but the room itself was just fine. It was an $80.00 room that was at about the same level as a $120 room in larger towns.

There's a market very close by, along with a lot of restaurants. We didn't hear any road noise at all.

It seems like it's just a family operation - you check-out by dropping your keys in a slot, since nobody is working at the office in the morning hours.

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised. I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank TravelingRich
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albion
Dollinger's Inn & Suites
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Chili/Rochester Airport
Lake Ontario Motel
Lake Ontario Motel
#1 of 1 in Newfane

Been to Dollinger's Motor Inn? Share your experiences!