“Averaged Sized, Non-Air Conditioned, Art Museum”

Busan Museum of Art
Ranked #44 of 225 things to do in Busan
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I went through the Busan Museum of Art somewhat against my will - I have no interest in art, my wife does... Those who legitimately appreciate the paintings will probably believe a visit to be of more value than I did. The museum is not tiny but it isn't large either. I could have walked through and seen everything in well under an hour, my wife took a bit over an hour to peruse the pieces of art on display. Also, the vast majority of the museum was not free. If we had not paid the 12000 won fee to see the special exhibit we could have seen everything in 30 minutes or less. When we were there it was summer, there were a lot of people, and I could not detect any air conditioning. I stood by the open windows whenever I could but it was still stagnant and muggy. I was impressed with the gift shop which had several great gift ideas that were cheaper than I could buy online so I got some of my Christmas shopping done; at least the visit wasn't a total waste!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

this museum of art is free admission. Setting up for upcoming event. So no much for the time i visited

1  Thank PS_Lay
Reviewed 27 February 2014

There is so much space in the museum that allowed us to get away from crowds for an hour or so, but that also meant there is a lot of walking up and down stairs!

Overall neatly presented museum that is worth going if you are in the area!

1  Thank as02112014a
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This museum gives its name to the nearby (300m) subway station, so if not anything else it is easy to find on the underground network (but you still need to be careful and go out of the correct (signposted) exit. All of its various entrances seem to play a game of hide and seek with the visitor (which may have something to do with the humour of contemporary art, but I personally only found plain irritating). Once you manage to get in, in spite of the mammoth size of the building, the collection is not very large, with humongous empty spaces, which feels disturbing considering the fact that normal housing in Busan is often seriously crowded. The style of the building is very minimalistic, not to say heartless. The best feature is the café with its free hand cream samples and views of the adjoining garden. Overall I did not particularly enjoy visiting this museum and would not go back but it might still deserve a second chance if there is a specially interesting special exhibition on the time.

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

An excellent museum: free to enter and an extensive, varied, exhibition programme. I was impressed with range of work, all from the 21st century and from both home and abroad.
The building is not a lot to look at and the ciculation spaces fail to inspire, but the exhibition spaces are large in size and in number. The size of the exhibition space worked well with works on show and i happily spent a couple of hours walking around. Outside are a collection (more of a clutter) of bronze and stone sculptures providing a hint to what might be contained within the otherwise anonymous looking building.
Worth a visit but takes a while to get there.