“The best in the city”
Review of Park Hyatt Busan

Ranked #2 of 156 Hotels in Busan
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Yes, you know that Park Hyatt hospitality is always one of the best in the hotel chains. Cozy, friendly, charmy. Loved their modern rooms, spectacular views and conveniences. So nice SPA center with a number of fine facilities. Very good place for start of your day with excellent luxury breakfast ($42 per person), you'll enjoy the view over the bridge. Your best choice in the gorgeous city of Busan.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank alexzhdanov
mable l, General Manager at Park Hyatt Busan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Guest of Park Hyatt Busan,

I would like to thank you very much for providing us with your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found all facility to meet your needs.

I truly hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

For an individual with several million miles of airline miles and over a thousand nights in hotels and resorts around the world, I feel I am qualified to evaluate the merits and deficiencies of hotel service quality levels.

As a loyal Starwood and Marriott customer, I have not stayed at a Hyatt hotel in many years and thought the Park Hyatt Busan would be a good start to reacquainting myself with the Hyatt brand. Overall, I was satisfied with the decor, cleanliness and layout of the rooms. The exercise facilities were acceptable, although the swimming pool was lacking. As a former competitive swimmer, I had hoped to put in a few laps but the pool was overrun by a swarm of uncontrollable kids. This is not unsurprising as the feel of the hotel is less business-oriented versus a vacation destination given its proximity to the Haeundae beach.

Overall, as with most businesses in Korea, the "hardware" (rooms, facilities, restaurants, etc.) was acceptable for a five star hotel. However, what I generally find most lacking in Korea is the "software," or service quality level. Over 15 hours after arriving at the hotel, I contracted a case of food poisoning. After my arrival, I did not leave the hotel nor eat outside of the premises. I took all of my meals (lunch and two orders of room service) inside of the hotel. Ultimately, I was up from 2 am to 6 am in the morning regurgitating all of the food I ate the night before and did not have the strength to leave my room until 3 pm the following day.

I notified the front desk of my food poisoning and provided the relevant details. The Park Hyatt is renowned for tracking its guests, whether personal preferences or movement within the premises, and so I asked them to check my hotel particulars (food orders, card key) to verify my account. The front desk stated that they would check with the food and beverage (F&B) team. However, despite my complaint, the hotel did not immediately offer me assistance with addressing my illness (doctor, OTC drugs, etc.). This was only offered to me several hours later once the hotel had the opportunity to check into my complaint. Thus, I ended up locating a pharmacy on my own and had to spend 15 minutes in my weakened physical condition walking to and from the drugstore.

A few hours later, the Park Hyatt offered me a quasi-apology and failed to accept full responsibility for the case. The hotel cited that food poisoning can take place up to 24 hours after ingestion, but my experience with prior bouts of food poisoning is that symptoms appear within 3 to 6 hours. In particular with the type of food I ingested the previous night (eggs that were not fully cooked), food poisoning symptoms appear well within 8 hours (per Wikipedia). The hotel did offer to cover all of my F&B expenses during my trip, which I appreciated.

What triggered my desire to write this review was my experience upon checking out of the hotel. Perhaps there was miscommunication with the front desk, but I was asked to pay for several of my meals taken at the hotel despite promises that my F&B would be taken care of. I became quite agitated, and this left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Irrespective of the Park Hyatt's ability and penchant for closely tracking its guests' preferences and details, I was very surprised and disappointed that they had failed to properly communicate my situation to the staff. In fact, the person checking me out was the same individual that checked me in AND took my food poisoning complaint. I could not believe I was being asked to pay for meals in which I could only ingest soup and tea after a physically draining food poisoning incident.

As a frequent traveler, I understand food poisoning incidents can occur from time to time, even at the most luxurious hotels and resorts. I am primarily disappointed in the Park Hyatt's followup to my complaint (no immediate assistance with my illness, lack of full accountability, miscommunication on my F&B expenses). This is not what I would expect from other hotel brands that I frequent and was certainly disappointed in the "software," or services, aspect of my experience. Overall, nice facilities but I believe the service quality needs to be improved. I would not receive this type of service at other hotels I frequent (The Peninsula, JW Marriott, etc.) and was disappointed in the Park Hyatt's response. Perhaps if I were a more highly-rated Hyatt customer the response may have been different. In my opinion, the response you receive once there is a problem is representative of the true culture of the hotel. In my case, the Park Hyatt failed this test, and I hope that there is an improvement in their response in dealing with similar cases in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank titan1392

Dear Guest of Park Hyatt Busan,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write to us and advising us on your stay at Park Hyatt Busan recently. I hope that you are feeling better now and have fully recovered.

I was most disappointed to read your comment and I agree we have fallen well short of providing you the experience you deserve from Park Hyatt Busan. I am very embarrassed to read about your food poisoning incident, during the time that this occurred I was informed by Executive Assistant Manager – Food & Beverage. I am extremely sorry our team has not provided you with the level of service that you should have received at a time like you had. I agree that we should have paid much better attention to your needs and assisted you in a far better manner. I am also disappointed to read about the lack of follow up when it came to your account on check out even after my staff had agreed to waive the F&B changes. I was advised that they did remove this but this should never have been there in the first place.

Mr. Kim, these incidences are unacceptable and I agree that we should have provided better service, and I am very sorry for all of this. I will be dealing with this matter accordingly. I truly hope that you are able to accept my apology and that you are not marred by this incident for future stays with Hyatt.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

A Deluxe room I stayed in for 2 nights(Sun&Mon) in December was comfortably spacious and had a lovely view overlooking the marina with moored yachts. The hotel looks brand new and spiffy, having opened in February this year. The employees are decorous and respectful as in most top-rated Korean hotels. You cannot expect the ready smile or gregariousness of, say, their American counterparts. If you have an issue of contention, it's wise to ask for a highest ranking personnel possible, for mid to low level employees rarely have the wherewithal to arrange something favorable for you.

I enjoyed using the hotel's fine sauna facilities with, again, a beautiful view out the window. Then my spa appointment was cancelled, due to an overbooking. Curious that some establishments like this one feel entitled to a unilateral policy which subjects only the clients, should they cancel , to a payment in full. I called around and found a Sundari Spa at Paradise Hotel, a 5-minute taxi ride from Park Hyatt; my appointment with them went without a hitch. So it worked out for me in the end.

Room Tip: Ask for a room of your preferred view (bridge or marina)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jungmin2013
mable l, General Manager at Park Hyatt Busan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Guest of Park Hyatt Busan,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the room and the wonderful views they have. The sauna and Pool area of the hotel has wonderful views and I was happy to read that you enjoyed these facilities.
I am extremely sorry to hear about the mistake made with your spa booing. I am investigating this issue so that we do not have a repeat of this in the future. Please do accept my apologies for this.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Went there in early October for 3 nights; Prices extremely reasonable for a 5 star hotel but then again any 5 star is less expensive than in Paris Friendly and H helpful staff and amazing views from our room. Beautifully appointed room for comfort and serenity. Would definitely go back when I return to Busan.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the view of the bridge or the port.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rivierarocket

Dear Guest of Park Hyatt Busan,

I was so happy to read that you enjoyed the Hotel and all our services. The views from the rooms are amazing and I have the fortunate opportunity to look at them every day. I would also like to wish you a wonderful New Year and we hope to have the pleasure of you staying again soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed: 1 night in November 2013, double room executive level
Pros: Location at the new marina district in Haeundae, spectacular vista of the bay, large and comfortable rooms, 5 star service, high quality neighborhood with good choice of restaurants and entertainment.
Cons: Rather expensive, breakfast not included ($ 42 per person), reception on the 32 floor, no shopping within walking distance

Room Tip: Ocean view room recommended
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Herbert E

Dear Guest of Park Hyatt Busan,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay.
I was so happy to read that you enjoyed the services of the hotel and location. I would also like to wish you a wonderful New Year and we hope to have the pleasure of you staying again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

This is one of the nicest hotel I have stayed in. It is very clean and quiet, has great views and a pleasant staff. It has a very good buffet breakfast - and one of the most expensive. The hotel is not cheap, but it is excellent. The location is convenient to downtown.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lee7444

Dear Guest of Park Hyatt Busan,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel and that you felt this was one of the nicest hotels you have stayed in. I will share your comments with my team.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was my first visit to Busan, and staying at the Park Hyatt definitely made it an enjoyable one. The hotel is located in a very nice district of Busan (Haeundae, which is a popular tourist destination) right on the waterfront. Although it is not located directly on the beach - it is instead on the marina - it is only a 15 minute walk to get there. Along the way to the beach, you can turn off onto Dongbaek Island, which has a great walking path and beautiful views.

Enough about outside the hotel - inside, it was beautiful. It's a very new hotel, and it shows. The king-sized room was very spacious, with a generous closet area, large bathroom, and a desk and couch. The materials used in construction are luxurious. And it is a testament to the bed that I did not get jet lag - I transitioned seamlessly from 21 hours of traveling into working the next day with no problem.

I did also get a chance to check out the workout facilities while there. The gym is very well-equipped with cardio machines and weights (free and machines), and the swimming pool was lovely, but seemed designed for lounging around more than anything else (which is probably what you should be doing at a swimming pool in Busan, not swimming laps!). Even though the facilities are great, I would actually recommend, at least for runners, to take it outside. The scenery is gorgeous, the lack of humidity is a huge plus, and running outdoors is always more fun than running on a treadmill!

Finally, I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff. They went out of their way to be engaged and welcoming, with personal touches and a genuine desire to help.

My one slight negative is that it is a bit pricey. A beer cost $12. But, I can't really complain about that because it is definitely a high-class hotel, and if I want a cheap beer, I can just wander down to Thursday Party.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Catherine M
mable l, General Manager at Park Hyatt Busan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Guest of Park Hyatt Busan,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Park Hyatt Busan.
Thank you very much for the positive feedback and especially on the service of the staff. I will be sure to share your feedback with them. I also agree that running outside in Busan along the water front is a must, however if the weather is not so good then our Fitness center is also a great alternative with the view of the Ocean.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Busan in the future.