“Good hotel - comfortable,clean rooms with designer look”

Baume Couture Boutique Hotel
Ranked #28 of 157 Hotels in Jeju
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Ignore the comments about hard beds and wrong location etc but do remember to bring your own toiletries or prepare yourself for a 5000 won surcharge!!
The hotel is very comfortable and clean. Breakfasts were good although the staff were a bit dozy. We had to ask them to replenish things. We found the location good, there is a side street with a lot of restaurants and bars just north of the hotel and the hotel is on one of the main shopping streest. The hotel isn't situated in the centre of Jeju but in a separate area to the south west but it worked fine for us. taxis weren't expensive and we were only there 3 days.
Staff were very helpful and spoke pretty good English thankfully.
The only thing which didn't seem to work that well were the loos. These are electronically operated. The one in the first room didn't work at all - which was good as we got an upgrade to a suite. The one in the suite worked OK but on occaision would keep flushing repeatedly - we found the trick to fix it was to take the key card out of the main electricty control - this seemed to reset the system.
All in all though we had a good stay. Nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bramco

Reviewed 21 October 2012

The stay experience at hotel was nothing but great. After our disappointing stay at the previous place before coming to Jeju, this hotel offered much more comfort. The breakfast spread is good, rooms are big and clean, beds are comfortable, bathrooms are big. Please bring your own toiletries as the hotel charges 5000 won for the set due to some disposable policy imposed by the government.

The location is certainly not a draw. The hotel is located at the most boring part (north) of the island. Most of the sights and activities are at the north-east, south and south-west of the island. The supposedly happening street (there were campaigning posters along the street showing throngs of people patronizing) was empty and seemed deserted. There are only 2 other places to visit: the lotte sauna (more details in the sauna review) and the shilla duty free shop o this part of e island.. Please give the latter a miss due to limited selection and if you do not like crowds. There are also a lot of massage places around? it's minimum one hour drive to other sights.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adri-ence
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the trip advisor comments even though I was uneasy that they only have so few reviews and all of them seems exceedingly positive. After staying in the hotel for 5 days in Aug 2012, I feel compelled to offer my view.

This hotel has amenities all around it - restaurants, shops, convenience store, coffee joints etc, which is a plus! However, it is not near any sightseeing locations and that is understandable as it is in Jeju city.

We rented a car and from the jeju international airport, it was a 10-15 mins drive to the hotel. There is free parking at the hotel. Just drive into the driveway (its small, has a dead end etc), leave your car and keys with the hotel staff, they wil park your car properly. Don't bother to do the reversing, aligning in that tight space, leave it to the professionals.

Most reviewers rave about the 'designer' look of the hotel. Indeed, the lobby, restaurant etc does look nice and cosy but the 2 rooms we had were average. Is it any good if the hotel just looks great at the common areas?

Room 806:
I wouldn't say housekeeping is superior. I saw small debris on the bedside table and it is still not cleaned after day 2. I couldn't stand seeing it anymore and went to clean it. The room look tired, the marble tiles at the toilet and sink areas have quite a number of small holes all over, wonder if it is due to wear and tear or the marble tiles were of bad quality to start with. Didn't folks say this hotel is just 3 years old, it looks older than 3 years. In this room, we also found a tool box on the floor Housekeeping didn't bother to take it away in all the 5 days we were there.

Room 805:
There was a stench at the toilet area. I smelled it the moment I am remotely near the toilet. It didn't go away even after the next few day's housekeeping. Wonder if they thoroughly clean the toilet or it is some plumbing problem. Also, the wall around the air-con vent had quite some blackish mild dew formation.

For both rooms, the power sockets were extremely difficult to reach. Nothing near the dressing table, I had to move the bedside tables to reach them. Like what the other reviewers said, toiletries are charged separately so bring your own stuff. However, they do offer a small round bar soap and thats not chargeable.

On the bright side, there is free Wifi in the room and the signal is very strong because they have a router in each room!

During our stay, we were unaware that a severe typhoon was heading towards Jeju. We didn't watch TV as we didn't understand Korean. On the day which the typhoon was to make landfall; we found out later, there was travel advisory issued days before and an official warning issued on that day. The hotel did not try to inform us, not even a sign at the lobby of the danger later in that day. No hotel staff offered any caution at breakfast and when we retrived our car from the front desk to head out for more sightseeing. Fortunately, we found the weather was getting too challenging and decided to head back early. I would have appreciated the hotel tried to alert guests. Like adding salt to wound, I experienced the hotel trying to contact me on the day I was to checked out. The official check out time is 12pm and I had asked for an extension to 1pm which they agreed. Yet, I received a call at 12.45pm asking why I have not checked out. I'm disappointed they bother to call to ensure we are out of the hotel but not to inform us about the severe weather conditions. Also, Room 805 had a leaky window and when the typhoon arrived, water came into the room. We called the front desk for help and they came with towels to soak up water from the leak.

Now onto the staff, they were all courteous, no problems there. The breakfast is fine - western and korean offering. I focused on the korean stuff, there were abalone (bits) porridge and changing korean condiments which I enjoyed.

To put things into perspective, this is just a 4 star hotel. As a result, it isn't bad. If it classified itself as a 5 star hotel, I would rate it as terrible!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank savonarie
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Very chic with high ceilings and marble decor.
On one hand, it is very clean and well maintained. Breakfast was exceptional with choice of full continental or Korean options. Staff were very helpful.

However lam of Internet in the rooms was a bit inconvenient and the gym and swimming pool were under reconstruction at the time.

We hired a car so it was quite easy to get around and somehow managed to navigate a Korean only Gps.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Annalise S
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This is a so-called design hotel, with stylish decorations and huuuuuuge rooms.

Restaurants are located a few blocks from the hotel. Try to find the nearest Starbucks, and you'll find a street with lots and lots of local restaurants and bars. They open pretty late, up to 2~3am. We had some Korean chicken there. Very affordable and delicious.

The staffs are friendly, but don't speak much English. Many international travelers.

TIP: There's a pool at the top floor, which only one of the two elevators can get to.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We spent 3 nights here and the hotel was just a 5 minute cab ride from the airport. The location was right in Jeju city so restaurants were just a walk away. The hotel was just across from a convenience store so that's just great.

Hotel staff was quite helpful and the room was huge! We had two double beds and the bathroom was very spacious. There was separate shower and bath so this was great for our holiday. We tried the breakfast once and the service at the restaurant was great. We wouldn't really recommend the breakfast though because it was cold and rather expensive for us.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RachLZ
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We spent several nights here and were delighted with this hotel. The location is great - right in the middle of Jeju City with lots of fun shops and dining options nearby. It's not beach-side, but for us that was ok. As I saw it, we were midway between lots of tourist destinations. There are four set meals available for breakfast. We also had dinner once at the hotel and absolutely enjoyed the meal. Excellent food.
We found the hotel staff to be true professionals - very kind and pleasant.
My one, single grumble would be that you pay for the toiletries (i.e. shampoo and conditioner) - which I thought was a little odd. I've never seen that at other hotels.
The pool was not yet open while we were there either. And we didn't use the fitness center.
We would stay here again and I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a convenient, quiet location in Jeju.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple