“A hidden paradise”

Bellus Rose Pension
Ranked #3 of 110 Gyeongju B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We booked the hotel based on the reviews on tripadvisor and I must say that I was not disappointed. It is more like a homestay rather than a hotel. Located right at the end of the Pension Village (a cluster of Pension Hotels), it is quiet and comfortable.

We were picked up and greeted by Mrs Park upon our arrival at Gyeongju Train Station (call her prior to arrival). She is friendly and helpful in making us comfortable, introducing us to the main attractions in Gyeongju and the directions to those locations. She even prepared breakfast for us. Although the breakfast was simple, it was fulfilling.

The room is spacious and clean and comfortable. The bed (or mattress in our case) was also very nice and comfortable to sleep in. We stay in a family room so there is a kitchen for us to do some basic cooking.

Although Mrs Park mentioned that the walk to the main street (where the convenience stores and eateries are) is approximately 10mins, we took longer than that, approx, 15 - 20mins. I guess, Korean walk faster than us!! But once you are out, there are buses taking you to town as well as the main tourist attractions.

For sure, this is one 'hotel' which I would highly recommend for those who want to try something different from the usual hotel. With Mrs Park's hospitality, you will not regret it!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The glowing reports on Trip Advisor that made me book this Pension were absolutely correct. We spent four nights here and loved every minute of it, right from when Mrs Park greeted us in such a warm manner even though it was two hours before check in time. It was a peaceful oasis that was so welcome after four weeks in city hotels. Our room (as do all ) looked out on to the back garden and swimming pool. Mrs Park brought a glass of freshly made tomato juice for us to drink as she checked us in and gave us maps and general information about the area. The room was bright, cheerful, clean and well appointed with a very nice ensuite. Through out our stay Mrs Park was there to help if needed. She or her husband ran us to the bus stop and came and picked us up when we rang. She booked a tour for us and helped with directions. One day my husband wasn't feeling too good so I went off on my own. Mrs Park insisted on driving me to my first stop for the day, the Tumuli Tombs right in the city. She took my husband up a light lunch which he much appreciated. It was very hot while we were there so I was so glad that Mr Park worked to get the swimming pool ready. He started filling it the day we arrived. The days were hot and Mrs Park checked to make sure we knew how to operate the air conditioning.

No. 11, 10 and 700 buses run regularly on the main road about 10 to 15 minutes walk away (or they will will run you to the bus stop in their car) so even though the Pension Village where the Bellus Rose is situated is out of the main city you are not isolated. There are also a lot of activities and sights near by especially if you borrow a bike that is offered. Opposite the 7 /11 is a large glass house, set in the Botanical Gardens, full of tropical plants. In the grounds is a wonderful fountain that dances to music and is lit up at night. There are a great variety of eating establishments in the Bukgun Food Village near the 7/11. Altogether we had a delightful 4 days at the Bellus Rose. Thank you Mr and Mrs Park. Arohanui.

Room Tip: Each room is decorated in a different theme. I am sure all are equally nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank diob255114
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Me and my friend stayed here for two nights whilst visiting South Korea. We arrived at Gyeongju express bus terminal where we were picked up by Mr Park (you have to arrange this via email/ phone prior to arrival), the hotel is about 40 minutes drive from the bus terminal.

We stayed in the "Romantic" room which was very pink and quaint! The room was big, extremely clean and there was a kitchen for self-catering purposes. I have to say that the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in my life!

There is a 7 Eleven about a 10 minute walk from the hotel where you can get the #700 or #12 bus to visit Anapji pond and Bulguksa Temple/Seokguram Grotto.

The room was extremely well priced and for 10,000 KW you can get a basic breakfast as well.

Lastly Mrs Park was so hospitable and kind, she made us feel comfortable and helped us out with what we wanted to see whilst in Gyeongju.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I've stayed 2 nights there with my wife in April. We went there from Busan by driving a rental car, which spent us around 1 hour if taking highway. It's not difficult to reach there if lead by GPS, otherwise, try not to arrive at night. The small road at 5mins before reaching there is a bit dark and hiddenly.
Owners are a Koren couple (I guess), both of them are very nice although only the wife can speak and understand English. They''re considerate and very willing to spend time to tell us what to do and eat around the pension. You may want them prepare you the breakfast because it seems no other restaurant around there serve light meal at the morning. Their breakfast are freshly and healthy.
Guest room is simple but fully of harmony. Interior and furniture are all decorated in country style.
No luxury, no modern, it's all about basic and nature.
If you look for a real hotel, better go to 4, 5-star at lake side. Don't disappoint yourself because of mis-expectation

Room Tip: No elevator inside pension, try request a room at ground floor if you don't want to take steps
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martysoo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed one night at the BellusRose while visiting Gyeongju, and it was a lovely stay. The hosts were helpful in every way, from providing a map, talking to my taxi driver on the phone when I got lost, loaning me a bicycle to go to dinner, and helping me arrange and understand my transportation to the airport in nearby Busan when I departed. Breakfast was delivered when promised. The room was clean. And the surroundings were cheery. (Sure, the bed's a bit hard, but that's standard everywhere I visited.)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jana M
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Our weekend away in Gyeongju was made even more special by our lovely hosts. We arrived in town at Gyeongju train station after work at around 19:45 and we were welcomed by one of the owners and driven to the hotel. This made our lives a lot easier, as we did not have to figure out a new town's transport, late on a Friday night. They have the free pickup service from certain locations in town.

The room was spacious, clean and very cozy and came equipped with a fridge and a place to cook as well as additional cutlery and crockery.

Mrs Park was very helpful in explaining where all the good sightseeing locations were and what the best route from the hotel would be. This made for easy commuting the next day.

We were always made to feel welcome and both my wife and I would highly recommend Bellus Pension Hotel to anyone looking for a good place to stay in Gyeongju.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matthew W
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We only stayed the one night to visit the heritage site. On arriving we were greeted by the owner who brought us to our room. We were provided with a local map and explained what there was to do in the area and then asked what time we would like breakfast.

The hotel itself is colourful outside and just as bright and colourful inside. The room was very clean with a small dining table, cooking area, bed and shower room. The only niggles were the size of the towels being very small to what we are used to and the bed was quite hard, although neither stopped our stay there from being very good.

The breakfast was brought up when we asked for and was very good.
We would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple