“Good hotel at convenient location”
Review of GG Tourist Hotel

GG Tourist Hotel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Gyeongju
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The DY Hotel is conveniently located just besides the high-speed bus terminal. It was the only choice of upper class hotel I can find at downtown Gyeongyu - other accommodations options nearby being of the motel type, while most tourist hotels are located at the lake area over 20 minutes away by vehicle.
It takes about 15 - 20 minutes' walk to the train station and main shopping area with many choices of eating places. It is within reasonable walking to the muesum and some of the sights ( the ancient tombs, etc.)
The hotel looks brand new, and the furnishing and facilities are faultless. Room is large with a massage chair, bathroom is worthy of a 4-star hotel. Free Wifi in room.
It is a little bit pricey with my original booking, which does not include breakfast, but at check-in I was offered complimentary breakfast at the cafe.
I arrived on a raining morning at 10 am after an overnight flight followed by an 1-hour bus journey from Busan airport. I was so glad to be allowed early check-in. (Seems the hotel was far from full at that time.)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ronald K
경주디와이, 매니저 at GG Tourist Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Ronald K

Thank you for reviewing Hotel The DY Gyeong-Ju, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests.

We also appriciate your speicific posting about our facilities , location and information of near good places. Those will be surely helpful to other guests.

Your great review has been shared with our team members, and all our members will strive to exceed our guests' expectations at all times.

Thanks again for your review.

Warm Regards,
Business Manager
Jin, Hyung Kyu

There are newer reviews for GG Tourist Hotel

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Hotel looked old and dirty, and so did the rooms. Although it was probably one of the more inexpensive hotels at the time of my booking, I would not stay here again. The front desk worker did not seem to speak English well. He gave us our room key and so we walked up the stairs and opened the room to find a couple of backpacks and some shoes neatly placed on the side. I just stood there for a few moments, trying to understand what was going on, until I realized... I think this is someone ELSES room. So my boyfriend and I walked all the way back down, told the man at the front desk what had happened. He apologized and gave us another key. Luckily, this time the room was empty. We relaxed for a little and headed out. On our way out, the man asked for our key so they can hold it. Now this was the first time any hotel staff has EVER asked to do this. Thinking to myself, this is probably what happened with the first room. That guest probably left their key at the front desk and the worker had mistakenly given it to another guest. So I said, "thats ok, ill hold it" (btw, your room key is literally a key that is attached to this BIG and BULKY block of wood with your room number on it.) and walked out to adventure. Good thing I am a good person and didn't touch any of the other guest's belongings. Hold on to your room key!

(travelled July 2010)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We had planned to stay one night to see Gyeongju. We picked it on the basis that it was located centrally. The room we were given had stains all over the carpet and walls, blood patches on the bed base and hairs all over the sheets. When we checked in, the cleaner stared at us as we checked into our room. After we got into our room and locked the door, he came and unlocked the door to stare at us again, being two females alone we were threatened by the lack of security. We ended up leaving and not staying the night.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2010

The only pro for this hotel is it's location, which is about 2min walk from the intercity bus terminal. I traveled with my partner and my parents, we'd booked 2 rooms online, but upon arrival at 10.30pm was told that only one double room was available. They tried to insist we'd only paid for 1 room, fortunately I had my print out confirmation. I didn't book directly through their hotel website so we understand that there was some miscommunication maybe between the 3rd party and the hotel. We were offered a room with 2 double beds (which made for bit of an awkward night), complementary breakfast and a room change the next day. The reception had poor English and unfortunately the staff at reception the next morning was even worse. The night staff did not pass on the msg to the morning stuff and we were stuck explaining everything again the next morning. There was one staff at reception who was also the cook/waiter for the breakfast, our luggage was left unattended next to the lobby table, we had to repeatedly insist before it was taken to the locked luggage storage area. Just as well the breakfast was complimentary (which the morning staff tried to say no to) because $8US for a slice of stale cold bread, lipton tea, 2 small slices of spam ham and cold scrambled eggs was by far the worst breakfast we'd had at any hotel. Even though the room was reasonably priced for western standards, we'd stayed at a similar price hotel in Busan for the same price and much better service and room quality.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We wanted to stay in a hotel in downtown Gyeongju. It seems that all the really nice hotels were at the lake resort about 20 minutes out of town, so location was important as most of the sites we wanted to visit where in town. This hotel is literally less than a 2 minute walk from the express bus terminal. It is within walking distance to Tumuli park (back entrance), about 10-15 minutes. There is a supermarket and bank about 3-5 minutes away.
There is no elevator but the man at the desk was very helpful and helped us up the stairs with our luggage. The staff at the front desk spoke reasonably good english and as stated before, were very helpful, in fact, on the day we checked out, they not only stored our baggage for a few hours, but the man was attentive enough to realize that when I was going to the train station to Seoul, he asked if was going to take the regular or the newly opened KTX train. I was not aware the the KTX station was open yet and resigned my self to the having to take the regular train to Daegu then transfer there to the KTX line, but he informed me that the KTX station just opened about a week or two ago... this saved me a considerable amount of time and headache. He then told the taxi driver to take me to the KTX station and not the regular train station in town. He earns major kudos for that.
The room itself was furnished very basic but clean. Bathroom was clean, just a small amount of mildew in the tub/shower grout but nothing gross. However, there was no shower curtain and water went everywhere in the tiled bathroom. I cant't help but think that a shower curtain could go a long way to make use of the bathroom much less of an inconvenience after someone took a shower.
Overall, this is a very basic but clean hotel in a good location if you want to visit the sites in town.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We spent 3 nights here during Chuseok, arriving on the main holiday, so not a lot was open. So our first breakfast we had in the hotel's cafe. It was rather like Faulty Towers as the waiter was running between the front desk and serving in the cafe with not everything going smoothly. Generally though the young staff were ok though not very knowledgeable. However, when one of our group had a fall and had to go to hospital, the staff and manager were fantastic and accompanied the injured person and his wife to the hospital. The rooms were basic and old but ok for the price. Rooms were advertised with free internet but only some were working. However there was a working computer in the lobby. We appreciated the drinking water machine on each floor (hot & cold). Location is close to the bus terminal and we found a great restaurant nearby. It was a bit of a distance to the main part of the city and some tourist attractions but there were plenty of buses, even during Chuseok.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We stayed 2 nights and would never stay there again. I looked under the bed for a missing sock, and there were huge dust balls all over. The carpet was filthy (it made our white socks turn black). Very dingy and the restaurant at the bottom of the stairs was really smelly. The staff was helpful, but most of them didn't speak English very well. There was a soccer team staying there at the same time who were very noisy (although to be fair, the staff warned us of this at check-in, but not when we reserved our room). We had a big room with 2 twins and one double, which we needed because our 20 y/o son was traveling with us. The one bonus was that it was convenient. You can walk to many sites surrounding the downtown area of Gyeongju, and the express bus station is about a half block away. The city bus stops across the street to take you to Buguk-sa temple and other sites. Water pressure was practically non-existent and the water was lukewarm at best so it was nearly impossible to take a shower. I would definitely look around and try to find something better, even if you have to pay a bit more.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family